It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So what happens to you if / when religion is proven true?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The title subject of the opposite side of the coin was this; What happens to you if / when
religion is proven false?

I asked myself this question, and I discovered that religion was my way of life. It cannot be proven false.

What happens to you when religion is proven true?
Religion is already proven true. And so what?
I'd prefer to err on the side of love, compassion, hope, empathy, charity, truth, faithfulness, trust, honor, patience, gratitude, goodness, humility, grace, mercy, spirituality, eternity, life, dedication, caring, integrity, resolution, wisdom, obedience, devotion, holiness, helpfulness, self-control, support, guidance, mystery, thanksgiving.

edit on 1792010 by Starbug3MY because: Accidentally pasted previously used text.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Everyone assumes that the line is believe/ don't believe.
It's not
the line is Truth/ Not truth
The Christian believes that the bible is the word of God, yet ignores the fact that the gospel of John has the trial and execution of Jesus three hours different than the other three gospels.
The atheist sees this and considers the Christian an idiot.
The Christian watches the atheist ignore miracles and other phenomena done in the name of God and considers him an idiot.
Each one believes they have all the info.
Both are wrong, but both are so egotistical, that they can't see it.
So both are actually the same.
What if info came to light that they were both right, and both wrong?

What would happen

www.thechronicleproject.org...

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Starbug3MY

None of those positive characteristics you listed are unique to religion, they all exist outside it. There are positive aspects of humanity and there are negative, religion can appeal to both.

For instance when religion is taken to extremes it appeals to those in power as a way to control and thus we get things like the Inquisitions.

But when Religion is taken to the other extreme and spreads love we get things like helping the less fortunate and other altruistic self-less behaviors.

That being said both of those extremes, the negative and positive, can be reached without religion at all.

To answer the question it depends on WHAT religion is proven true. After all not all of them can be true, the Norse gods, Greek gods and Jesus can't all be real can they

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by shoulda taken the blue pi

The atheist sees this and considers the Christian an idiot.

One among many reasons...

The Christian watches the atheist ignore miracles and other phenomena done in the name of God and considers him an idiot.

Name a specific example of a miracle with supporting evidence and not some anecdotal story.

Each one believes they have all the info.
Both are wrong, but both are so egotistical, that they can't see it.

Atheists believe they have all of the info? Atheism, in my opinion, is defined as the lack of belief in god(s) as there is no evidence of their existence and the idea of god in itself, without any evidence, is unfalsifiable. We lack a belief, just as you might lack a belief in me saying that I have 17 additional arms that are invisible. Why? It doesn't make sense, I can't prove it, you can't disprove it etc., but based on what we know about humans, we can make a pretty educated guess that I most likely don't have 17 arms.

So both are actually the same.

Religion requires blind faith that a god exists, atheism / skepticism requires nothing, we lack a belief that there is some magical being roaming around somewhere that has no evidence whatsoever. The burden of proof is on the theist

What if info came to light that they were both right, and both wrong?

lolwut? Atheism and theism cannot both be correct, and to me, its pretty clear which one is wrong already.

In closing, my signature sums up my thoughts on religion

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
IMO, I am not so worried about what an individual would feel concerning either subject.

In reality its the masses we would have to be concerned with. Whether you believe or you don't, someone loses. That I think is what would eventually devastate us as a planet.

With either opinion, there doesn't seem to be much wiggle room, in peoples minds, which can cause catastrophic consequences when either is revealed.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Starbug3MY

YES! go destroy those that were nothing but stumbling blocks GOD. just a thought,im not demanding anything from you god.

join