It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very nice movie of San Francisco 1905

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
very nice to see the trafic and how people dressed

shot from a streetcar traveling down Market Street in San Francisco in 1905.
Before the earthquake/fire of 1906 destroyed the area. Remarkable footage of the turn of the century lifestyles

edit on 16-9-2010 by Gloster because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
that was an awsome video. i liked the music a lot too.

SF hasnt changed much. around the 4:21 mark a guy almost gets hit by a car.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
You can see that the people had little more time to stop and look around, im not from the U.S but i think it is a great country becouse of the way people from all over the world worked together to become americans.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Gloster

Starred, and thank you for sharing.

Love seeing old movies and pictures. This was around the time period my mother was born (1910).

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker

SF hasnt changed much. around the 4:21 mark a guy almost gets hit by a car.

Funny! Yesterday, an old guy tried to s-l-o-w-l-y cut a diagonal path across Mission and 4th using his walker--tennis balls and all. The police had to stop traffic, which resulted in the usual response from the *friendly* motorists here. As for the video, it's quite refreshing to see the city without cab drivers mowing people down, protesters banging trash lids outside the hotels and the ubiquitous Starbucks on every corner. I was looking for trannies, but didn't spot any. Guess that was only allowed in private back then.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Gloster

Amazing!

Foot traffic, horse traffic, bicycles, cars, and trolly's all on the same chunk of pavement. On top of that there are people just standing around in the middle of the street.

My guess is all those folks STILL got to where they were going. I now live in the DC area and the traffic goes nowhere fast. There seems to be some kind of wrong path taken between then and now even with higher populations.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
You know, in many ways, that time period wasn't all that different from today!!!!

Cool stuff.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Not one fat person!

second line

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Hahaha maybe it didnt change that much

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
hmm didnt notice one tranny, person banging on a garbage can, or starbucks.

maybe i didnt look hard enough.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
OMG, that was so worth watching! I just love how fit everyone looks! I do wonder how much color they actually had in their lives as it appears everyone is in dark clothing.

Funny how it seems to be a past-time to jump out in front of vehicles, and the fact that the vehicles seemed to be all Right-sided steering. I cannot imagine someone got the film reversed.

I love the movement of their legs, people today do not walk like that, either that or it is the way the lens elongates slightly rounded causing the men to appear leaning back as they walk long-legged. Interesting!

I was happy to see the Modern version there too, and especially happy to see trees. I do not think people in the past saw much value in such things.

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I was just showing this video to my partner, he noted that the film is not reversed because the signs on the buildings were correct. I am blind half the time! So cars were positioned on the Right for the driver.

He told me that if I notice there is no horse poop along this road at all; he said that was the big upset when the automobile came along that all the 'pooper scoopers' were upset that they would lose their jobs. This means that as the poop fell someone was there to rush out there and clean it up. Amazing!

One other thing, not too many folks could afford a car in those days so this certain says a ton about the amount of money that flowed in San Francisco.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

I agree there is a diference about the way they walked, didnt notice first but its like they took very large steps, i wonder if its becouse they had to walk long distance or maybe its just culture thing at the time that men had to walk like that.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I saw lots of fatties. Bet there were a few flatties too, having to dodge traffic like that all day. Goes to show you, even a hundred years ago traffic was more important than pedestrians. Great film though.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
hmm didnt notice one tranny, person banging on a garbage can, or starbucks.

maybe i didnt look hard enough.

The trannies are sleeping this time of day; thank heavens we haven't had the garbage can protesters in a while, and there are actually 4 Starbucks along this route on Market between 5th and Embarcadero: at Stockton, 3rd St., Sutter/Montgomery BART, and Embarcadero. (Don't ask how I know this.)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

taxi driver?

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Awesome Video....

I have friends living in frisco and try to visit as often as possible. One of America's most Beautiful cities!

Aaah the smells can only be imagined, fresh produce mixed with fresh excrement and exhaust.... I think the paid pooper scooper's were on break..@ 3:40 you can see manure directly in front of the street car and off to the right.
The traffic patterns kill me ....its just like drive where ever ...and the intersections have No stop signs or Traffic lights. Its Funny to see peoples reaction to a relatively new tech ...the Motion Picture camera.... you see people run back in forth in front the trolley trying to get on camera. I think one car full of dood's drives around the street car a couple of times trying to solidify their Immortality on film....

top topics

join