It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive fish kill reported in Louisiana

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Massive fish kill reported in Louisiana

news.yahoo.com

Fish kills are fairly common along the Gulf Coast, particularly during the summer in the area near the mouth of the Mississippi, the site of this kill. The area is rife with dead zones -- stretches where sudden oxygen depletion can cause widespread death. But those kills tend to be limited to a single species of fish, rather than the broad sort of die-off involved in this kill.

And therein lies the concern of Gulf residents, who suspect this may be yet another side effect of the catastrophic BP oil spill.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f4fb34d472f6.jpg[/atsimg]
Here is a picture of the area. Looks like a nice gravel country road doesn't it?

A closer look shows that this is a canal filled with dead sealife as far as the eye can see.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/319d278b86f1.jpg[/atsimg]

I know that massive fish kills are not that uncommon in the gulf because of the lack of oxygen in the water but this seems extreme to me. I would be interested in hearing from the ATS members living on the gulf for their take on this. Do you think this is a normal fish kill event or BP oil spill caused this?

I have never seen anything like it before. This is a massive amount of dead sea life, I was shocked when I saw the images.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 9/14/2010 by Erasurehead because: fix spelling

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I am just stunned. Simply stunned. No words to describe it beyond that.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Fish kills are common place, even large ones, however the scale of this one "looks" immense. Time will tell if the truth ever finds the light of day. Its plainly evident that corexit is highly toxic, what reactions it has with other natural and unnatural elements in the gulf is also suspect. I pray this is not just the beginning of something larger.

The photos do seem to show all one species of fish, however and that could simply be a regular die off, kinda like the smelt in Lake Michigan.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
Here is a picture of the area. Looks like a nice gravel country road doesn't it?
A closer look shows that this is a canal filled with dead sealife as far as the eye can see.

That is one of the most disturbing pictures I've seen in quite some time. I absolutely thought the first pic was a gravel road until I scrolled down and saw the truth. That's just tragic...

Originally posted by brill
I wouldn't eat anything out of the gulf for about a decade.

Is that even possible? How do you know when you get seafood that it's not from the Gulf unless you leave in a coastal region far away from there? I don't want to eat anything from there either, and at the same time, I feel terrible for the people who's lives depend on fishing the Gulf. I think that BP should be responsible for re-eductating these people in a different industry and paying them a salary until they are re-employed.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
A full analysis should be done for something this serious. If there's nothing to eat all the dead fish it will fall to bottom and contribute to methane deposits, nothing good anyway. I bet BP will bring a Fishexit, fish dispersant chemical to make fish magically disappear just like oil

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by coder
Is that even possible? How do you know when you get seafood that it's not from the Gulf unless you leave in a coastal region far away from there? I don't want to eat anything from there either, and at the same time, I feel terrible for the people who's lives depend on fishing the Gulf. I think that BP should be responsible for re-eductating these people in a different industry and paying them a salary until they are re-employed.

Simple. If it says USA on it, not gonna find its way onto my plate. Restaurants is a different story and I would certainly bet that a lot of them would stock up on GOM seafood because it may be priced more aggressively. I will only get my seafood fresh or from a label indicating non US from now on. I feel bad as well for the livelihoods of GOM fishermen and their families but I'm not risking my health on it, not gonna happen,

bril

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SassyCat
A full analysis should be done for something this serious. If there's nothing to eat all the dead fish it will fall to bottom and contribute to methane deposits, nothing good anyway. I bet BP will bring a Fishexit, fish dispersant chemical to make fish magically disappear just like oil

Would you still trust the results ? We've been witness to the payoffs and god knows what else. I wouldn't expect anything other than a green light not because its safe but because money and profits dictate otherwise. If true independent and trustworthy testing can be conducted so be it, but anything with a gov't stamp on it, no way.

brill

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I lived in New Orleans and areas south (Plaquemines Parish) for much of my life and while I have seen fish kills both there and in Florida, I have NEVER seen anything like that. I was speechless looking at those photos.

I think this is just the beginning of what we shall see as a result of this summer's disaster. I mean that for both the animals, plants AND humans.

May our deity/ies bless us and may Earth forgive us all.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
At first I thought you were showing us a picture of a few cracks in a road. I was like "quit showin’ us this, where’s da fish?" Then in the second picture it hit me, that’s ALL fish!

Man, that is so messed up, there isn't a chance in hell that is natural or a "common fish kill." All the chemicals used on the Midwest farms wash down the Mississippi River and empty into an ocean contaminated with oil and corexit. I surprised there was that many fish still alive in that area. I guess not anymore.

Save the planet and the fish!

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
This is at least the third massive fish kill in the last several months.
As many do, I suspect the Oil in The Gulf. Studies have been completed...there is a massive dead zone that stretches for miles caused by the Oil still in the Gulf. The oil found is several inches thick, and stretches for miles.

Dead Zone for miles!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Corexit and the oil gusher (it was never a spill caused this).

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Like a poster above I thought the first photo was one of a sun bleached paved road with cracks in it.

I am simply astounded at the sight of that many dead fish. Never in my life have I seen something like that aside from one of the apocalyptic movies. I know it will sound silly to many but the sight of that many dead fish reminds me of the one third of the sea life dying.

Revelation 8:9 And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died ; and the third part of the ships were destroyed .

bibleresources.bible.com...

That is one of the saddest and scariest photos I have seen. I really cannot believe my own eyes, that is almost unimaginable.

Raist

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
OMG! What does this become in a day? What does this become in a week? The smell must be unbelievable, and to top it off there is a dolphin in there too!

Sweet Jesus, I am so sorry!

So why can't they set up bubblers at the mouth of the Mississippi which infuses Oxygen into the water as it passes into the Gulf? Would they then blame the subsequent algae bloom on too much Oxygen?

This is the horrific outcome of the use of Chemicals on any level, be it the GOM dispersants or the "Nutrient-rich" run-off from the Mississippi, any or all is our doing!

I will use what ever tuna I have from my "end-times" pantry, but I won't buy any more, no way! I am a not a seafood eater as it is but this has sealed it for me! Sorry Charlie!

Next will be the "Pre-Gulf" tuna sold at Christie's Auction, I bet the elite are already stocked full and ready to "sell, sell, sell" once the price goes up.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ceriddwen

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the pictures. What usually happens with all the dead fish when one of these fish kills happen? I am sure the wildlife in the area get their fill but that has to be an awful stench in the area for quite some time.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f4fb34d472f6.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/319d278b86f1.jpg[/atsimg]

I thought I was looking at a picture of a paved road when I first saw these.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
As a non-gulf resident, I have never seen such carnage of life in one place. Almost impossible to fathom.
Is there any attempt made to clean this? Or are we back to relying on microbes.
I remember Mr. Obama telling America and the world that he would make things along the gulf better than before. Wonder if he had ever envisioned anything like this?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SimplyGord

I had the same question. How does this get cleaned up?
Do they just leave it to nature?

It really is unbelievable to look at.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I am not sure leaving something like that to nature is great. At least not in that area all at once. If it were only a part of that sure let nature take care of it. However, with that much death there needs to be some sort of clean up involved even if it is just skimming and a mass grave type of thing. Leaving that much death lying around in the water would certainly cause sickness.

That is just a massive amount of dead fish. I just cannot get over that. Never in my life have I seen anything like that.

Raist

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join