It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The method to my madness: The Psychonaut

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Now, I wasn't sure whether to put this in the Alt. Sub. forum or in this forum. My choice was to go with the philosophy/metaphysics forum for several reasons, but if a mod wants to move it I have no problem. This post is a collection of smaller related posts I've made on ATS. I've modified, updated and fused them all into one coherent article. I've found this is a great way of developing ideas and coming up with good threads which cover all aspects of my argument - just a little info for those needing inspiration for threads.

I can tell you now some narcotics can produce states of mind which increase brain activity excessively and produce states of mind which are vastly more aware and capable or deep though than the normal mind is. As a psychonaut I can truly understand the importance of keeping the mind healthy and exercised...and abuse of drugs is one of the worste things you could ever possibly do...a mature approach, moderation, and proper intentions is the key to unlocking the benefits of alternate states of consciousness, whilst not harming your mind.

If you wonder why the world hasn't become enlightened due to drugs even though so many seem to take them, it's because most of them drink alcohol...and they ABUSE drugs...the majority of drugs don't do any good, that is correct...I especially dislike alcohol and cigarettes...but when used properly, certain psychedelics/mind altering substances can in fact unlock deep parts of the mind, and produce extremely complex thought patterns where a person is capable of producing extremely complex ideas and theories.

I believe alternate states of consciousness, allow us to explore aspects of reality and mind which aren't accessible, or extremely hard to access whilst in a "normal" state...for instance...I believe parts of the subconscious mind can be accessed whilst in alternate states of consciousness...and this can lead to an array of advanced cognitive functioning and insight into the structure of reality and the mind. This recent thread on '___' is quite interesting actually.

Now, I haven't abused drugs at all...if taking them in anyway what so ever is abuse, then you're abusing drugs right now because your brain is producing chronic psychedelics as we speak. As you may know, the brain produces '___' on it's own - one of the most potent hallucinogens known to man. And not all drugs destroy brain cells and start slicing your neural network into bits and pieces when you take them...the chemical processes involved are extremely complex, and can potentially result in heightened awareness.

People assume all "narcotics" lower brain performance and damage the brain. This is absolutely not true, and it attaches a stigma to any sort of drug use. A lot of drugs will cause nothing but damage, they are nothing but a poison, but some drugs, if used properly, and not abused, can cause the brain to function "better", or cause cognitive functioning which wouldn't normally take place, they create "altered states of consciousness"...and they don't all cause damage when used properly.

The brain it's self is the most sophisticated drug factory known to man...what does that tell you? If you say drugs damaged your brain to the extent where you'll never obtain a maximum brain functioning again, you obviously ABUSED drugs and took bad drugs which caused damage to your brain. Not all trips are the result of the brain being damaged and dying. We are talking about seriously complicated chemical processes here, to make that claim, is absurd. Real research might reveal many of the so called "safe" drugs they hand out are actually a lot more damaging when used in the same amounts other illegal drugs.

What I'm saying is, when used in small amounts for medicinal purposes etc, the damage is minimal and comparable to any given legal drug. The damage is due to abuse of any given substance, and some druggies abuse some drugs a lot, and they look and feel like crap. But I imagine you would look like crap and feel like crap if you abused legal drugs. Sure, some illegal drugs are just not to be taken ever, but there are others that deserve a closer look...specifically things like '___', '___', MDMA etc.

I'll admit I've taken a variety of drugs, but in the fashion of a psychonaut...I used them in a careful and mature manner, in order to explore alternate states of consciousness...not because I simply wanted to "get high" and have fun or escape reality, and I only took them once or twice over a large period of time...and my brain functions perfectly...I can safely say, no damage took place, and my brain functions just as good, if not better than it ever has.

And whilst exploring alternate states of consciousness, I've discovered the true potential of drugs, and I've explored my mind to the extreme...I've also thought up theories and ideas, which blew my mind when I became sober, I've actually made a few threads on some of those ideas...I still have fairly clear memories of my experiences, and I can clearly see that my brain functioning had significantly increased on some levels, or was able to operate in ways previously unheard of, whilst on SOME drugs.

It was truly amazing some of the things my brain could do and how brilliantly it could function and explore complex ideas involving anything from metaphysics to conspiracy theories. It wasn't simply...Oooo...look at all the pretty colors and weird sounds I can hear...this is a ridiculous preconception held by those who think anyone willing to explore altered states of consciousness is simply a pathetic, no-hope druggo. You don't understand chemistry or consciousness as well as you think you do.

This stigma we have created will never let us explore these alternate ways of thinking and experiencing reality. I think people are probably scared of the unknown in the sense they have no idea what to expect when they've never done it before. I'm not promoting drugs here...as I know that any drug, taken in any amount, can POSSIBLY cause harm to a person, including legal drugs. We aren't hardwired to run perfectly on drugs, without risking something going wrong...I'm just stating, that not all drugs HAVE to be a bad thing, IF used properly, and they can POTENTIALLY have positive effects on the mind.

I'll leave you now with a very interesting read by a person with manic depression. Altered states of consciousness the brilliant madness, but first, here is an exert I would like to quickly discuss:

This mild form of mania existed in a large number of great and creative persons. It was there that one saw the enormous energy of Winston Churchill , Ludwig Van Beethoven, William Blake, Napoleon Bonaparte,, Charles Dickens, T.S. Elliot, Robert Frost, Sigmund Freud, Ernest Hemingway, Abraham Lincoln, Jack London, Robert Cow ell, Michelangelo,, Mozart, Isaac Newton, Edgar Allen Poe, Mark Twain, Vincent Van Gogh, King David, King Saul. To name a very few of the countless great personalities that suffered in different degrees from a milder form of this disorder.

As the manic explained, the brain produces chemicals which cause the same effect as methamphetamine's and coc aine...which is why his manic episode was so similar to that described by users of certain drugs...he hadn't taken any drugs...he didn't need to...his brain took care of that part...and he states, during and after manic episodes, he is more creative and insightful than ever. So you see, what he is describing here, is how certain chemicals can increase brain activity briefly, but like a light bulb that receives too much power, it can burn out and cause damage - meaning moderation is key.

Note: Please follow the ATS terms, conditions and rules by not directly describing personal "trips" or promoting the use if illegal narcotics. There are several valid reasons ATS has these guidelines in place. This thread is intended to discuss the spiritual/philosophical aspects of some drugs. I guess you could say, a look at the good side rather than the bad side. And I know it's kind of hard to avoid breaking the rules, as even I in this post, have described my trips on a very basic level. Just keep your posts intelligent and we should be fine.

edit on 11/9/10 by CHA0S because: Added one more paragraph

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I think the enlightenment has been trumped by the illegality. People are hesitant to talk of their experiences, well here for fear of getting their post pinned with a red banner, and other places, for fear of getting arrested. Enlightenment can only come when we allow the individual to experience these journeys without fear or paranoia. I had an arguement yesterday about how marijuana doesn't cause paranoia, the illegality of it does. I also had an arguement with the same person about psychodelics, and I may have lost, mainly because its hard to argue something you can't claim you've done for fear of looking like a fool, in this taboo world.,

I appreciate your thread, as always I find your work rather intriguing and worth the read!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

Enlightenment can only come when we allow the individual to experience these journeys without fear or paranoia. I had an arguement yesterday about how marijuana doesn't cause paranoia, the illegality of it does.
I completely agree. It seems to me with something like marijuana, where no deaths have ever been recorded, and it grows in the ground, is wrong on all levels to punish people for using it. I once asked a Christian who was obviously against weed, why it should be illegal when it's one of Gods natural creations. The only answer they could give obviously, was that it is "just one of Gods tests". Obviously my next question was "how do we figure out what is just a test?". Don't think I ever got an answer. Anyway, I'm getting off topic.

I also had an arguement with the same person about psychodelics, and I may have lost, mainly because its hard to argue something you can't claim you've done for fear of looking like a fool, in this taboo world.
Very true. But then again, how can you give the pro side of the argument for narcotics without actually having tried them? You can't really know for sure what you are saying is actually the truth until you experience it first hand.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Ahh, well you see, I never said I didn't. I must word things correctly to not get pinned. The psychodelic arguement happened to be with someone who had done it before also. But they still pwned me. Perhaps it was his wiser and older views, and I was just feeling inferior. I feel I could have a useful debate about it and win, except once again, its hard to know who you could admit or mentions these things to without losing credibility or others trust.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Great thread S+F!

I would be interested to see some brain scans of people who have taken psychedelic drugs. I imagine there would be a similar explosion of activity as has been recorded in people meditating!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Fantastic thread! Star and Flag!

Although I have had my problems with abuse in the past. Now that I am more mature I understand the potential for certain substances to be actually beneficial. An example from my own experience that I can draw on, hopefully without breaking site rules, relates to benefits although not the kind you mentioned in the OP.

Reaching an 'epiphany' on one occasion I was able to view my life in it's entirety, as supposed to the current or most recent task as I normally do. When taking into account the whole picture I was able to deconstruct my life, strip it down to the basics and essentially rebuild myself in the image of who I had always wanted to be. Needless to say I have grown up a lot since this experience and I now see how much I have changed. Little by little I became a better person and I really do feel I owe it to reaching the bottom, coupled with psychedelics on that one fateful occasion. I believe that in some research '___' was actually given to alcoholics for this very reason.

neurophilosophy.wordpress.com...

So I would say there is a lot of merit in your post, both on the front of abuse, and appropriate application of certain drugs.

Presently I have a beer every now and then, but I am a million miles away from who I was.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by March of the Fire Ants

I bet you would see some similarities, I've hear others say it before, and I agree, that they are both a different key to the same door (or very similar doors at least).

reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Great post. I definitely can relate to those "epiphany moments" you describe, though it's not even worth me trying to put into words my perspective on that. I've also noticed that if you have someone else "tripping" along side you, your communication skills (both of you) seem to become something otherworldly. I literally reached a point where words were no longer really necessary. I believe this is actually us tapping into our "empath" abilities, our ability to naturally know what another person is feeling or even thinking based on the energy or "vibes" they are giving off. It may be starting to sound a little crazy, but I've always felt that way since I had that experience.

edit on 11/9/10 by CHA0S because: spelling

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
so will you tell us what drugs you call "safe"
b

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Psilocybin is certainly safe (think: magic mushrooms). Now I don't go suggest you eat 2 grams of shrooms and then go driving around, because that's not doing it safely. I, for one, can barely think while I'm on mushrooms, much less drive a car. If they were unsafe, indigenous peoples would not have been eating them for thousands of years to achieve a higher level of consciousness.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by P-M-H

Scientists suggest fresh look at psychedelic substances - Check out that thread I made not long ago.

(Reuters) - Mind-altering drugs like '___', ketamine or magic mushrooms could be combined with psychotherapy to treat people suffering from depression, compulsive disorders or chronic pain, Swiss scientists suggested on Wednesday.

edit on 15/9/10 by CHA0S because: bolding part of significance

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

edit on 15-9-2010 by rajaten because: because

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

Please refer to my last post, and if you read the whole OP you'll see I singled out '___', '___' and MDMA. Though I'm obviously not any sort of professional, that's just based on personal experience, my point isn't really to single out any specific drugs, but rather make a point as to how not all of them should be tossed out as poison, because some are far from it.

I think it's the hallucinogenic properties of drugs which people have attached a large stigma to. Some how they think it's wrong for people to experience alternate ways of thinking, but yet they can go down the pub and get wasted on that poison they call alcohol, and it's completely legal and socially acceptable. Heh...the hypocrisy of it all...

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I thought I would add the Wikipedia explanation of what a psychonaut practices, it doesn't only involve drugs:

Psychonautics (from the Greek ψυχή (psychē "soul/spirit/mind") and ναύτης (naútēs "sailor/navigator") – a sailor of the mind/soul)[1] refers both to a methodology for describing and explaining the subjective effects of altered states of consciousness, including those induced by mind altering substances, and to a research paradigm in which the researcher voluntarily immerses him/herself into an altered state by means of such techniques, as a means to explore human experience and existence.[2]

The term has been applied diversely, to cover all activities by which altered states are induced and utilized for spiritual purposes or the exploration of the human condition, including shamanism, lamas of the Tibetan Buddhist tradition,[3] sensory deprivation,[1] and archaic/modern drug users who use entheogenic substances in order to gain deeper insights and spiritual experiences.[4]

A person who uses altered states for such exploration is known as a psychonaut.
Pyschonautics - Wikipedia

edit on 15/9/10 by CHA0S because: grammar

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Look, everyone wants to use drugs to produce a false sense of some enlightened state they hear about, or read about in some book. The truth is that those affects are lies.

The only affect that is truly enlighteneing is when nothing is happening and you are ok with it.

STOP lieing to yourselves and wake up.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

The truth is that those affects are lies.
Are those assumptions my friend, because they seem like it.

The only affect that is truly enlighteneing is when nothing is happening and you are ok with it.
Wait...I'm not quite understanding...you mean when we do it without drugs? OK, what if it was scientifically proven that during states of deep meditation the brain is producing hallucinogenics which cause these "enlightened" experiences? What you don't understand, is that enlightenment is in fact an "altered state of consciousness". There is no one best way the brain should be functioning IMO, that's why evolution is still playing out, we will continue to get smarter and smarter as our brain evolves. In 500,000 years our normal conscious state will be different compared to today's people. Your argument basically is "altered states of consciousness" are wrong and evil only when induced by drugs (except alcohol), for some reason I just can't seem to explain.

I would tell you the same but it's obvious my words wouldn't change a thing.

edit on 15/9/10 by CHA0S because: grammar

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
In nothing you find everything.

Looking for spiritual progression through feelings brought up, and seeing things, and having all of this go on is just a distraction. When you can sit down, look into the universe of your mind, and breath with the universe without having a feeling, or visual, or touch, or anything else, and be completely ok with it, and understanding of it. Then you have found what you are looking for.

Your argument basically is "altered states of consciousness" are wrong and evil only when induced by drugs (except alcohol), for some reason I just can't seem to explain.

Nothing to do with it being evil. Altered states of consciousness are just that, altered states of consciousness. My definition of enlightenment is being at one with the universe, and harmony.

edit on 16-9-2010 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by CHA0S

Look, everyone wants to use drugs to produce a false sense of some enlightened state they hear about, or read about in some book. The truth is that those affects are lies.

Wow. That was pretty ignorant.

If reality as we know it, is entirely based on our perception (what we experience through our senses), then reality is merely whatever our brain interprets it as, through electrical signals translated by our brain. We could just as well be living in a lie. Or, at least, we are only seeing the world in black and white, when we could be seeing in color, or 3D, or whatever.

All psychedelics do, is basically let us experience reality from a different perspective. It's still reality, our brain is merely interpretting all the data differently. They effectively give us a chance to experience the world with different/extra senses.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
After being part of the Woodstock Event, and several 3 to 5 day concerts out under the stars I am convinced the government experimented with the ones attending the concerts.

I say this because in a normal situation a person would pay for psychedelic drugs. But at the concerts as soon as the first band started playing the '___' was passed out like candy among thousands of people and nobody had to pay. It flowed like water from a spigot.

Did the CIA make the drugs available or did the bands distribute it to enhance the entire experience.

I do believe the use of mind drugs will become standard treatment for some mental conditions in a few short years

Used in moderation I believe it should be allowed as a legal recreational drug.

Would like to share more thoughts but don't want to get flagged.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

My definition of enlightenment is being at one with the universe, and harmony.
Literally being as one, or just feeling as one with the Universe?
2nd

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
i always go into a psychedelic experience trying to get a different perspective on my life, maybe work some things out mentally. but every time i trip i just end up thinking everyone around me is a demon, possibly spying on me for satan, or i end up in the bathroom looking in the mirror and getting upset with my reflection for trying to control me. it is so weird to eat a bunch of your P.O.C. and then look into your own huge bulging eyes. i always get the feeling i know more than i'm telling myself in these situations. if you are looking at your reflection and communicating with it without speaking, is that just thinking or is it telepathy? when you get stuck in the mirror that's the best. that is what happened to me, the real me got switched with the mirror me and now he is getting into all sorts of mischief. know what i'm talking about? i'm sure we have all been there..

<<   2 >>

join