It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So You Wanna Fight? ATS Debate Tournament (Tournament Update)

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Wait until you debate myself...

The epicness will floor you...

Aight...I'm ready let's get this party started!!!

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Well in the interim while you are suffering these delusions of grandeur and splendor or at the very least a fifth of Old Grand Dad, how about we work on getting your image cleaned up!

Send me a pick of your whole avatar so I can resize it for you as a background image and tutor you on how to set it along with an invisible avatar so you will have that daring, dashing, complete flamboyant and gallant look all warriors so desire when it comes to impressing the members of the opposite sex.

Perhaps with a spiffy new avatar to better sell yourself, we can secure for before the debate a woman who can console you after that most agonizing defeat all those who pay such poor attention and focus to detail inevitably suffer.

In time as she slowly nurtures your shattered and crushed ego back to health and cautions you on the foolishness of these misplace desires, you might even retire from the debate forum for something more suitable like farming, bird or whale watching or some other congenial pursuit that is more genteel and less daunting for one so humbled.

I mean let’s face it; you have no chance once you have taken on that distinction officially as a looser.

Now is that time to be all you can be.

A whole avatar makes for a whole man!

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Perhaps that will be what you are thinking about as I deconstruct your rhetoric...My Avatar...Phase One completed...check...

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
Perhaps that will be what you are thinking about as I deconstruct your rhetoric...My Avatar...Phase One completed...check...

They say brevity is the soul of wit, but in all reality who is they?

Likely those decimated and dismembered in formal debates, which no longer have any belief in the power of their own words, so they simply refrain from uttering them.

This is most likely a boon to the rest of us that no longer have to labor so excruciatingly under their oratory or prose.

Yet if one was a gambling man, and thinking of backing such a person in debate?

Well, I think it’s safe to say no matter how much or little one conveys or doesn’t that when the writing is on the wall, the writing is on the wall.

Discretion is the better part of valor it is said.

Which is why I will start graciously accepting forfeitures at this time, as a other means to get the actual tournament started.

I ask, yes, verily I do, is it really fair to Semper, Chisler, indeed even yourself as a debate form moderator to have to burden themselves by planning out contests for those destined to fail at them?

Nay, I think not, and perhaps the most noble thing some of the anxious contestants who’s very mood betrays their nervousness could do is to secede and surrender here and now, and in so doing, leave a precious sliver of those untested and unfulfilled dreams purposefully so, that they might cling to that illusion, as they watch from the sidelines watching one opponent after another fall to those more reserved and seasoned opponents who with experience comes that wisdom to know, that only fools rush in where wise men fear to tread.

As a moderator I think it behooves the entire forum, the staff, the administration, right down to every single member for you to lead, yes lead, to seize that opportunity and set shining example by you yourself, being the first to officially surrender in the debates.

Though it would pain me, simply because I feel your pain, I as a friend, would endeavor to do my best to accept that surrender as difficult and awkward as a moment it might be for me.

I love you that much man!

Mean it.

In the meantime I am sure many others will likewise be considering the wisdom of surrender rather than abject defeat, so that they too, might salvage some vestige and modicum of dignity and future hope in the process.

I am all about one thing here on ATS and that is giving others hope.

Tis no small thing I partake in this task, but it’s the very least I can do for my fellow members.

Thanks.

Cheer up there is always next year.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

.....you sure do talk alot (without saying much).

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Seems like a lot of folks are talking a lot without saying much!

Kinda reminds me of "whistling past the graveyard". Be careful that the quiet ones, (like me) don't reach out and GETCHA!

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

.....you sure do talk alot (without saying much).

I imagine that was difficult, summoning the courage just to respond at all.

How I fear it will be like this during the tournaments, those hopeful but brash naïve members stupefied as they are mortified as their minds freeze and their fingers trembler and protest out the same.

Then will be that nagging troubling voice haunting them in the back of their minds even while they flail about desperately for a coherent thought, had only I listened to that nice Protoplasmic Traveler fellow as they struggle in vain to produce any other lucid or coherent fault.

He was the only one who cared about me and was concerned, while all the other members only wanted to see me get thrown to the lions.

That’s what they will be saying.

I want you to know what you have done, what you have said is very brave, utterly futile, but very brave.

One finds the graveyards full of memorials where the epitaph says precisely that for those who have suffered an end otherwise before their time.

Bravo!

Bravo!

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I almost just used this post to forfeit my position...nice...nicely done...

I will take extra pleasure in defeating you in battle, Sir...even more, mayhaps, than when I leapt out of my chair after reading I had beaten S-Dog....

Until then...poetic yawns incline me to winks...rather than words...

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Yeah, I pretty much stand no chance in this debate.

......or do I?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

I almost just used this post to forfeit my position...nice...nicely done...

I will take extra pleasure in defeating you in battle, Sir...even more, mayhaps, than when I leapt out of my chair after reading I had beaten S-Dog....

Until then...poetic yawns incline me to winks...rather than words...

Have you name shame man, no sense of moral decency, any compassion or empathy for the other members.

Clearly you can see already those present whose sense of foreboding and trepidation is already working their last nerve while all the can now do is put on a meek feigned attempt at intestinal fortitude after seeing your callous selfish display, and foolhardy insistence at carrying through with the tournament.

You know should any of these enticed members lured into hasty participation by the devious words of some of the debate forum staff just looking for easy fodder so they too can claim to have made it to a advanced round, end up institutionalized or heave forbids worse from the duress and pressure they are now under, well…I think we all know who is going to be to blame.

Do you not realize that even such literary stalwarts as Hemmingway tore off their own ear rather than hear the humiliating scorn and diatribes of their critics.

Yet, you would set these poor innocent members up for that?

I find it shocking, nay, scandalous on a site that is supposed to be dedicated to denying ignorance that some would just play with these beset upon souls just for a few fleeting online accolades before themselves succumbing to those much more formidable and mentally disciplined for such a challenge.

I implore you to consider your fellow man here, to consider that your leadership position dictates that you always consider the needs of the many, versus the few, versus the one.

While I am sure visions of yourself with World War I flying goggles and leather cap adorned upon your head, tilted defiantly and determinedly back as a long silk scarf draped about your neck flows behind you wafting in the stiff breeze of a well positioned electric fan, while listening to the strains and thunderous chorus and crescendos of the theme music from Apocalypse Now fuels these sorted and seemly delusions of victory you have so completely deceived yourself with, I can most certainly assure you, that reality shall not smile upon you quite so kind.

Then what? As you add to the depression and horrors of your own defeat, all those other members who only carried on with this macabre charade to impress you after mimicking your own bravado post the details of their own manic depression and mounting medical bills and psychotropic drug addictions struggle to pick up the pieces of their shattered lives and muddle on forever scarred by the trauma of it all.

Do you really want that on your shoulders? To know in those quiet hours of the night, those wee hours past midnight and before the dawn, when the earth is so quiet a man’s thoughts can haunt him to the verge of madness.

The pleas of so many crestfallen and despoiled members howling like a banshee echoing through your mind.

It is far, far better to be a hero now, than a villain later my friend.

Far better indeed!

I was so dismayed to hear of this decision to ride this moment all the way down in flames and infamy that I couldn’t help but think of this very sad song.

All the lonely people, indeed where do they all come from?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Wait until I want to be more verbose than you...

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Does being new to ATS bar one from entering?

I do love to debate.

In fact I am interested to see this in motion.

From what I have heard, ATS can hold its own!

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by darkventures

You have to wait for the next tournament. We already had sign ups. We're just waiting for the host to contact the debaters and everyone will have to organize for the debate. Hopefully you can debate next time.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

You have no authority to speak on my behalf. I know what i have entered my self into, and i am not afraid.

I am not afraid to meat a better man. That is the whole point of this game. Who the better man is, is not decided now. And it is not decided by you. It is decided by the judges after each challenge.

There will be loosers in this game, because only 1. can be the winner.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkventures
From what I have heard, ATS can hold its own!

Well then...you have only just begun...welcome...

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

I know what i have entered my self into

I am not afraid to meat a better man

...just be sure it's consensual first.

There will be loosers in this game

...yes, no doubt they'll be a bit looser after having been meated.

(This public service announcement has been brought to you by the This Is Why Spelling Is Important Coalition for a better ATS.)

edit on 20-10-2010 by LordBucket because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImAnAlienOnMyOwnPlanet

You have to wait for the next tournament. We already had sign ups.

we are all waiting for next tournament

could have done one or two challenges in between - while waiting

*tapp tapp*
it.s wednesday
but no oct 4 still no 2017

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

I think I just cracked a rib laughing! You should really be ashamed, but, oh,my, how perfectly snarky!

Thanks, just what my Hump Day needed!

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

You have no authority to speak on my behalf. I know what i have entered my self into, and i am not afraid.

That’s just silly talk! Of course I have authority to speak on your behalf. Armed with the last 4 digits of one’s social security number and their mother’s maiden name, I can speak on anyone’s behalf.

Take out home loans, credit cards, and magazine subscriptions too!

Yet a person should always be afraid. On the deer paths of their forests in the halls of their castle and in that more tangled forest in their mind.

I think it’s very brave of you to mask your fears!

As we can see from yesterday, had another condemned member, oops I mean contestant not made such a soliloquy in a timely way, Memory Shock might have succumbed to his own best thinking and forfeited the contest.

In absence of having an effective debating style, the very best thing you can do is provide one another with moral support.

The few words of encouragement can often lead to the type and style of camaraderie between men you speak so passionately about throughout your post.

Rest assured though others might tease you for it, I can understand why those interested in such peculiar fetishes would flock here to ATS with its promises of secrecy.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
What concerns me at this point is that no debate whatsoever could live up to the bravado, hilarity, and entertainment value of this thread content.

So it is written, so shall it be done.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join