It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amateurs To Launch Themselves Into Space

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Two Danish amateurs have built a rocket. They aim to launch themselves into space with a low-budget rocket. They may launch a crash test dummy today if weather permits.

Photo: Thomas Pedersen

Space Vikings: Danish Duo Preps for Suborbital Flight

The two are vying to get one step closer to becoming the fourth group in history to put humans into suborbital flight -- the other three groups have been the space programs of the United States, Russia and China.

[---]

The interior of the one-man craft might not be fit for the claustrophobic; the entire rocket is slightly more than 25 inches in diameter

Their website: C O P E N H A G E N S U B O R B I T A L S

Launch window: Aug 30 - Sep 17, 2010
LAUNCHING TODAY AT APP 10 UTC, SUN 5, 2010

Amateurs Aim to Rocket Themselves Into Space : Discovery News

A crash dummy will be the occupant for the rocket's debut flight, which will take place from a platform in the Baltic Sea.

[---]

The main advantage of launching at sea, says von Bengtson, is the lack of government regulations.

If any "Norway spirals" appear in the sky today, or in the upcoming days, it might be this rocket. It's so small... not for the claustrophobic.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I really hope they make it! It would be very exciting to say the least!

Having said that, their rocket looks a lot like the Estes rocket I had as a kid...

I launched a mouse in it once....

It did NOT work out very well for the mouse.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I bet this so-called "rocket" is actually a long range missile heading for Sweden

Gosh, I hope all goes well for them

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
##Double Post

[edit on 5-9-2010 by NeutronAvenger]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Interesting rocket design. I wonder how they plan on dealing with the g-force pulling blood out of the brain? Don't they realize there is a reason why astronauts are seated the way they are in the craft?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Yeah I saw this a few days ago, thought it was on ATS, but maybe not..

I would s&^t myself in that thing at take off.
But what a rush!!!!

But what I really want to know is,
wheres the PARACHUTE ?????

I can only imagine its under the pilot and therefore would he come dowm headfirst???

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

I read somewhere they only face 3-4 G's..

Not that bad..

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

lol, hope you didn't get in trouble with Animal Protection Services..

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalM

I read somewhere they only face 3-4 G's..

Not that bad..

That may be true but normal launch vehicles have the astronauts in a reclining position not standing vertical.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   

abecedarian,

Funny how we argue to no end about things being possible or not.

Here we have a couple of guys who, instead of talking about it, are simply doing it.

I hope they succeed in their efforts!!!

Less talk, more action.

Peace

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I expect whoever goes up in this thing will be dead before long.

I also reckon there will be threads about how the 'Grey's' or the NWO took them out due to their 'being too close' or how they sublimed or moved onto the next dimension or other such nonsense.

Does this make me a psychic?

-m0r

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

abecedarian,

Funny how we argue to no end about things being possible or not.

Here we have a couple of guys who, instead of talking about it, are simply doing it.

I hope they succeed in their efforts!!!

Less talk, more action.

Peace

If their 'naut can survive even if he/she blacks out during ascent, more power to them; I've become rather light headed on a few of those thrill rides that you ascend in a vertical position, and that's only a few seconds- I imagine a few minutes of it and I'd lose consciousness.

But hey, I agree completely with get'r done! I just hope they can do it safely. That's all I'm really getting at.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Fantastic!

More power to their elbows!

Hope it all goes well for them, when they launch themselves.

Maybe now, finally, we'll get a decent look at what's really out there in space..

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   

abecedarian,

Wouldn't you just love to be the guy who can say :

In your face NASA!!!

I'd sacrifice a few minutes consciousness for that (Don't know if I'd be ready to give my life though).

Remember that guy back in 1800something that jumped of the Eiffel tower wearing nothing more then a couple of wings and firm conviction it would fly ??

Ignoring general opinion that flight was for the birds. He was not put off by people saying that it was impossible. He had a goal and was ready to give his life for his idea!!

He plunged to his death without even a fraction of lift......but his determination was noteworthy!!

Peace

[edit on 5-9-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

abecedarian,

Wouldn't you just love to be the guy who can say :

In your face NASA!!!

Absolutely!

I'd sacrifice a few minutes contentiousness for that (Don't know if I'd be ready to give my life though).

Intersting play on word there.

Remember that guy back in 1800something that jumped of the Eiffel tower wearing nothing more then a couple of wings and firm conviction it would fly ??

Ignoring general opinion that flight was for the birds. He was not put off by people saying that it was impossible. He had a goal and was ready to give his life for his idea!!

He plunged to his death without even a fraction of lift......but his determination was noteworthy!!

Peace

Can't say I do remember it, but I remember reading of it. The guy could've had a much better experience had he thought a little about what he was doing and maybe try some experiments at slightly lower altitudes until his wings were perfect. Today, he'd be the grand prize Darwin award winner.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

I think you 'skeptics' should be making plans on what you are going to say to cover your embarrassment at being completely and utterly wrong all your lives on the question of an ET presence in our neighbourhood.

With the rapidly advancing private space industry and space tourism, we are going to know the absolute truth that's been hidden from the world for so very long.

Get a napkin and a spoon ready mate, i've a feeling you and your ilk are going to be eating mountains of humble pie in a short while! If not due to these two intrepid souls, from the others that will undoubtedly follow in short order.

I don't know what i'm most looking forward to...the unequivocal, hard evidence, or the skeptics' apologies for their stunning ignorance and closed minds about ET.

Whoohoo!...things are going to get very interesting indeed.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
There have always been explorers as long as mankind has existed - those people brave enough to venture further.

And that process has always helped mankind.

Back to the people willing to sail the seas, even though they feared they might drop off the end of the earth. Columbus etc.

Back to the first who tried flight, even though they might have died - the Wright brothers.

So to these guys I say my heart goes with you, the best of luck to you, and thank you for trying something so scary.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
They just said on the Danish news, that the rocket is ready but the lunch had been delay from 12:00 to 13:00 due to a submarine is to close to the lunch site.

It's gonna try to fly 30km in the air.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by Quantom]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Get ready for the Danish spiral appearing soon .
what?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Its nice to once again proclaim ones Heritage to the Kingdom of Denmark, in these times if you are interessted there is a livefeed at mms://wms.jay.net/borsenlive

Copy paste it into Vlc your prefered software to see the launch live(Its in Danish sorry).

We cross all things and hope this one goes well...

Best regards

Loke.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join