It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS recommended reads

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

I was just reading in the very back of this month's AARP Bulletin... a list of 50 books that are being banned in schools for the year 2010. Not all the states participate in these bans... and some states participate only partially.

1984... Farenheit 451... Animal Farm... and many many others that used to be required reading when I was in High School in the late 60's are on the list. I was truly shocked when I stumbled across it.

The Harry Potter series is the most recent ban. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn... Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl... To Kill a Mockingbird... Jaws (for too much sex??? You've got to be kidding me?)... For Whom The Bell Tolls... Of Mice and Men... the list goes on and on.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Hedera Helix

Yup, the banned books are always the best ones. Seriously though, Animal Farm is banned? I thought America was against communism.

Shows how much I know.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
some great recommendations.
stuff i've read, stuff i've wanted to read and stuff i've never freakin' heard of, yet so much as dreamed of.

richard wetherill

this is the rancher who romped around the west re-discovering cliff dwelling.
mesa verde and many others.

here's another author who i'd say is a safe bet regarding anything he does.
Peter Matthiessen
the snow leopard

if any american, or even any of you foreigners have not read these, it's pretty much a given.
a link to the text of the lewis and clarke journals.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by rubbertramp]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Meh most Americans don't know even understand what communism actually is....all they know is that it's bad.
Oh and another book people should read is The Grand chessboard by zbigniew brzezinski

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Exactly, Animal Farm is an anti-communist book. That's what has me confused. Do people not understand what it's about?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hedera Helix
reply to post by Nosred

I was just reading in the very back of this month's AARP Bulletin... a list of 50 books that are being banned in schools for the year 2010. Not all the states participate in these bans... and some states participate only partially.

1984... Farenheit 451... Animal Farm... and many many others that used to be required reading when I was in High School in the late 60's are on the list. I was truly shocked when I stumbled across it.

The Harry Potter series is the most recent ban. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn... Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl... To Kill a Mockingbird... Jaws (for too much sex??? You've got to be kidding me?)... For Whom The Bell Tolls... Of Mice and Men... the list goes on and on.

What???? those are life changing books, 1984, animal farm, the steinbeck books, and how can you ban to kill a mockingbird??? or huck finn?? i mean that's just stupid!!!!!!!!!! kind of ironic that farenheight 451 is one of them if you think about it. but wow, i'm glad i already graduated and got to read these books in my school library!

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

Banned books are always the best. I knew about most of those being banned but Animal Farm really took me by surprise.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
This may be a popular website, i don't know..but if someone has not heard of it, it does have a few interesting books to download, mostly old books so it's legal. www.gutenberg.org...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by tweakedvisions
reply to post by Subjective Truth

l ron hubbard, i cant help but laugh
ive never actually read any of his works... its just the whole scientology thing
he might be an amazing writer though, i actually assume he is a great writer in the science fiction field.

edit to say thank you

[edit on 9/5/2010 by tweakedvisions]

I always found it very ironic and funny so many would follow someone who made his name writing fiction. Kinda makes ya wonder. But it is a very good read and a long one at that.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hedera Helix
reply to post by Nosred

oh the irony
banning a book thats subject is to burn books to prevent original thought. who woulda guessed.
but seriously, when i was in school, we read i think five of those books on the list as a class! a few more i read for AR points (i dont know if anyone knows what those are). and i think we even read excerpts from 3 more of the books on the list as a class too! also, how are they going to ban the autobiography of benjamin franklin?!! i think it was franklin who said 'those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety'

i never thought fahrenheit 451 wound go from being fiction to non-fiction. i didnt even think that was possible!

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Awesome post idea. I always like to take a look at books that are recommended by other like minded folks. Having said that, here are a few from my little library...

Penetration by Ingo Swann (PDF, impossible to find a real print(

Alas, Babylon

Communion by Whitley Strieber

Alien Agenda by Jim Marrs

The Taking by Dean Koontz

The Book of Enoch

Chariots of the Gods by Erick Von Daniken

Dark Mission by Hoagland

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by tweakedvisions

I ould reccomend "When the wind blows - James Patterson".

its about a 'school' who try to genetically modify kids, most without success but a small few with fantastic results. Absolutly amazing read.

www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283775318&sr=8-5

MrWebby666

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join