It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After 10 Years' Work, Scientists Unveil Detailed 3-D Map of Virus That Causes the Common Cold

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The most detailed microscopic crystallography image ever created

08-26-2010

After more than a decade of work, scientists have completed a 3-D atomic-scale map of a virus that causes the common cold. It's the largest virus ever mapped. The map could help scientists re-engineer the virus for gene therapy, as well as to create possible treatments for cancer and other ailments. Robotic systems, an advanced x-ray, and years of patience made it possible.

The human adenovirus family, which is responsible for a host of ailments ranging from colds to gastrointestinal disorders, is quite good at making us sick because adenoviruses can infect many types of cells. For several years, scientists have tried to use adenoviruses as a vector to carry therapeutic genes into cells, mostly for treating cancer and cardiovascular disease. Understanding its structure, including how it disassembles when it enters a cell, could help scientists design better vectors.

The new structure illuminates one virus’s weakest links as well as its structural strengths, according to Glen Nemerow, a research professor at the Scripps Research Institute and co-author of a paper on the virus to be published this week in the journal Science.

www.popsci.com...

Human Adenovirus Scientists have determined the crystal structure of human adenovirus, which is responsible for a host of ailments including the common cold. Scripps Research Institute
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7de680229947.jpg[/atsimg]

A miracle if they could finally find a cure or at the very least something to prevent the common cold. This virus cost billions every year in medical expenses treating it plus the cost to business is extremely high, most people could still work with a cold but the problem lies in spreading the virus to others in the workplace.

If a cure is found like anything else that is for the common good it will be suppressed by big Pharma and the Medical establishment at large, it is not about helping people, it about who will profit from it, that would not be you and me.

[edit on 1-9-2010 by Aquarius1]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Ten years worth of funding for a map that does nothing. There is too much money made from people being sick, therefore they will never find a cure or a prevention measure to stop this virus.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Cool! It kinda looks like a weird butterfly!

There is s lot of money being made off the common cold but I have a feeling there are worse things on the way in the future. Perhaps big pharma won't need the common cold with all the nasties that are being cooked up in laboratories all around the world.

IRM

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Cool!

I'm just posting here to show support for InfaRedMan's (studio11's) opinion being freely expressed once again.

And it does look a bit like a flutterby.

-m0r

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Doom and Gloom

There is no need to wipe the common cold virus of the face of the earth or do anything destructive to it, because believe it or not, its actually GOOD for you.
It's pretty harmless & keeps your immune system on its toes and ready to rumble with worse things that most of us are not even aware that we are coming into contact with, kind of like a sparring partner who's helping a boxer prepare to fight the champ.

Sure...sometimes the sparring partner can get a wee bit carried away and does land a great shot in on you from time to time, but thats to be expected and in most cases its mainly just annoying and only injures your pride.

It most certainly readies & strengthens a childs immune system.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

You are right, there always seems to be research money available for scientists to figure out how to kill us, when it comes to figuring out how to cure something forget it, I know good scientists have found cures for many diseases but they are suppressed, if they were to publish their findings they would lose funding, the problem I have with these scientists is their livelihood is more important then their fellowman, everyone seems to be out to screw everyone else, as long as that mindset exist nothing will change.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by alpha68

It's pretty harmless & keeps your immune system on its toes and ready to rumble with worse things that most of us are not even aware that we are coming into contact with, kind of like a sparring partner who's helping a boxer prepare to fight the champ.

Hmmm I would think living a healthly life style keeps your immune system Strong, people just don't care of themselves or their children.

What is it, a guy thing with the analogies you use, reminds me of the God Father. Should I bring my gun or Connoli?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Unless the following is your idea of a healthy LIFESTYLE, your going to catch a Cold sooner or later.

1.) Choose not to ever go out in public > Fall-Spring, especially if you live in a cold weather state.

2.)Never accepting guests into your home unless they wear surgical masks, or before going BSL-4.

3.)Simply refuse to be around children (quite possibly even your own) unless your wearing a Hazmat suit.

4.) Pulling a Howard Hughes/Howie Mandel, and becoming an absolutely anal germafobic Lysol spraying fool.

>SORRY !< Chances are your going to catch a Cold sooner or later, but when you do you ! TAKE > "Cold-EEZE" right at the onset, problem solved. Paris & Nicky Hilton catch Colds, (AMONGEST OTHER THINGS) chances are you will to regargless of how hardcore you believe your immune system to be.

coldeeze.com...
"THEY REALLY WORK !"

Please bring two canolli's next time, they are my favorite.

[edit on 1-9-2010 by alpha68]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I totally agree the common cold helps keep our immune systems up to speed and ready to fight off something worse if it comes along.

I believe that this whole hand sanatizer kick everyone is on now is doing more harm than good. Sure you dont get sick but your immune system is just sitting there idle doing nothing.

Anyone ever heard of PID(Primary Immune Deficiency disease)? Just heard about it recently. Could there be a connection?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Hmmm I would think living a healthly life style keeps your immune system Strong, people just don't care of themselves or their children.

Colds happen and keeping yourself healthy isn't going to prevent a cold but it will help your immune system stay strong. It never fails...my kids come home with a cold about the third or fourth day after school begins and they get several throughout the winter. I keep them warm, fed well (healthy foods) and give them plenty of Vitamin C and some tissues and they're just fine after a few days.

Edited to fix quotes

[edit on 1-9-2010 by CoherentlyConfused]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Thank you, you have just proved my point, leading a healthy life style may not prevent all colds but as you mentioned if you do you will not get as sick as those who don't. I personally have not had a cold in over 30 years and have never gotten the flu. When my chidlren were young they rarely got a cold and if they did it was very mild.

top topics

join