It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guards open fire after 'major riot' at California prison

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Guards open fire after 'major riot' at California prison

www.cnn.com

Guards fired rounds to quell a "major riot" in the main yard of a prison in central California on Friday, a corrections department spokesman said.

It was not clear what triggered the riot at Folsom State Prison. It began around 7:30 p.m. (10:30 p.m. ET).

Five inmates were injured and three were taken to nearby hospitals, said spokesman Luis Patino of California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

There were no fatalities, he said. No corrections officers were injured.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
What the hell? Five people get shot by police for no apparent reason and there's not some sort of investigation? What exactly does a 'major riot' mean? Maybe the inmates were walking towards the guards threateningly?

That's Folsom Prison blues for you.

www.cnn.com

[edit on 28-8-2010 by Nosred]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Did you over read there was a major riot going on. Prisoners are very difficult to handle when there are riots. Especially in Folsom Johnny Cash knows.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Where do you get the 8 people shot? In a riot, guards must protect themselves and the inmates. If an inmate is trying to kill another, the guards shoot.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

What the hell? Eight people get shot by police for no apparent reason and there's not some sort of investigation? What exactly does a 'major riot' mean? Maybe the inmates were walking towards the guards threateningly?

That's Folsom Prison blues for you.

www.cnn.com

No apparant reason?
Riots aren't good enough for guards to use force?

I guess the guards should have asked the prisoners to nicely go back to their jail cells.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
They need one of these;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

An inmate microwave pain weapon being installed in a prison in LA. Would have prevented the need for the gunshots.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
The article did use major riot in quotation marks. This leads me to believe there wasn't a riot, or it was over exaggerated to suit the cases of the guards. It really depends on how violent the riot was and how much danger the guards were in. And which inmates did the guards shoot? The ones that were doing the rioting or not? Was the riot really violent enough that the cops had to shoot the inmates instead of using non-lethal weapons?

I'm not saying a riot doesn't constitute shooting the people if the cops lives were in serious danger, but I just want to know more about this riot. There needs to be an investigation to find out what started it and why the guards had to turn to deadly weapons.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Nothing, huh?

There were 200 inmates involved in the riots, which apparantly began on the handball courts and there were an additional 200 inmates in the recreation area that were not involved.

My uncle was a corrections officer at a NY prison for 25 years. On duty officers are generally outnumbered more than 25 to 1 at any given time. Often there is no choice in a riot situation but to discharge your firearm.

For example, Folsom employs upwards of 650 individuals on their staff...that is not 650 armed officers, that is 650 total employees. According to statistics, Folsom currently holds over 3500 prisoners.

For the record there is an investigation underway.

It is still unclear how the 7 inmates were injured...whether by gunfire or in the riot itself.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
"riot" in quotations usually symbolizes that it all started as a fight between prisoners and expanded. Any large conflict of inmates is termed a riot. They would have tried dispersants at first then if no response or the situation grew too fast the officers would have discharged their weapons. The inmates are WELL aware of the policies and what-if's. Folsom is a cesspool in and of itself, and just be glad it didn't get a whole lot worse. Damn near up there with Pelican Bay.

[edit on 28-8-2010 by djvexd]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
They need one of these;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

An inmate microwave pain weapon being installed in a prison in LA. Would have prevented the need for the gunshots.

You beat me too it , that was the first thought that came to my mind . What gives them the right ! Not the Geneva convention .

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
If ever there were a time for this one, it is now:

When you look at this video its amazing to think people are still doing time there at Folsom.

To think they have that great new prison in Montana sitting empty!

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

This is NOT a military prison. I believe the Geneva convention does not apply. The UN or some other organization might have a set of standards they want followed but only the courts in the USA or Congress have sway over Federal prisons!

Zindo

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Riot.

That's reason enough.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Maybe if guards fired rounds of beer into the crowd, a warmer reception to being fired upon would have ensued?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
www.monstersandcritics.com...

Seven people were injured when prison wardens fired warning shots against 200 rioting inmates at storied Folsom Prison in California,

I can think of a few reasons why shots were fired.

One being a riot.

Two being a riot in a maximum security prison.

Three being a riot in a maximum security prison where the guards are greatly outnumbered even if there were only 200 inmates involved.

Four being all of the above.

You do not go to places like Folsom for small things. That is a serious place to be sent.

Raist

[edit on 8/28/10 by Raist]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
www.kcra.com...

Thirty to 35 prison guards controlled the riot within about a half-hour.
Twenty non-lethal rounds were fired in quelling the riot, as well as five

There have been a number of other incidents at Folsom Prison over the years. In September 1996, one inmate was killed and 13 were wounded during a riot. Six guards were also injured.
In April 2002, about 80 rival Mexican inmates fought in the main yard.
At least five inmates were treated for injuries after a riot involving hundreds of inmates in September 2008.
And in October last year, a riot involving more than 100 inmates broke out in a dining hall. Eight prisoners were injured.

I would say seven being injured and nonlethal rounds are far better than it could have been. I believe this thread was meant to be just another bash the police/prison guard sort of thing. I might be wrong on that but reading the OP seems to make me believe otherwise.

Raist

[edit on 8/28/10 by Raist]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Ok so I've been lurking for a long time but need to share details with you.

I live very close to Folsom prison, I heard the shots last night and figured something was up. I also have multiple friends whom work there.

Here are the facts being reported from my sources and local media:

1. Occurred during night time on the yard (yes they let prisoners on the yard at night)
2. The only people with actual guns in California prisons are those in the towers. Due to budget cuts here in California, most the towers are unmanned, usually only one or two per prison.
3. This prison should be shut down, it is over 100 years old and falling apart.
3. This was a massive riot, no one was killed. Some of the being reported were injuries are prisoner on prisoner.
4. They only fire the live rounds when someone is about to be killed, either an inmate by another inmate or guard.

The inmates could have stopped rioting at any time, but this is why they are inmates. A few wounded is better than multiple dead prisoners and guards. I think they did a good job on this one. Hell back in the 60s, they would just open fire on everyone.

Oh and yes this was one hell of a riot. These people are complete scum. Every gang imaginable is housed there.

Feel free to ask me any questions, I'll see what more info I can provide.

new topics

top topics

join