It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court allows agents to secretly put GPS trackers on cars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Court allows agents to secretly put GPS trackers on cars

www.cnn.com

Law enforcement officers may secretly place a GPS device on a person's car without seeking a warrant from a judge, according to a recent federal appeals court ruling in California.

Drug Enforcement Administration agents in Oregon in 2007 surreptitiously attached a GPS to the silver Jeep owned by Juan Pineda-Moreno, whom they suspected of growing marijuana, according to court papers.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Fantastic! Now it's just a matter of time before the system officially greenlights accessing the GPS in cell phones, onStar and any other Orwellian doodad that people have been fooled into carrying around with them.

I suppose one could see this as an alternative to a traditional stake out, but as with so many things like this, it's an incredibly slippery slope especially when you consider the fact that they are technically tampering with private property (the car) and in this particular case, tresspassing since they did not have a warrant to go onto the defendent's property to plant the device.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-8-2010 by RobertAntonWeishaupt]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobertAntonWeishaupt
...but as with so many things like this, it's an incredibly slippery slope...
[edit on 27-8-2010 by RobertAntonWeishaupt]

You've got that right Robert.

I'm a UK national but have been trying to keep tabs on this sort of thing. I see heavy-handedness by the police, questionable acts carried out 'in the name of national security' and a general slide towards the US becoming a totalitarian state - unfortunately.

What the answer is, I don't know.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Orwell 1984, here we come....

I read a couple of these articles this morning on this topic. It amazes me when I read the comments section and there are people that type 'It doesn't bother me, I have nothing to hide'. They just don't get it?!?!?!?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
We have an earlier thread about this topic:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

top topics

join