It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq War Seen as 'Failure' by 53 Percent of Americans, Gallup Says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   

A small majority of Americans believe the Iraq war, now in its eighth year, will be judged a failure in the light of history, rather than a success.

The new Gallup Poll shows a wide partisan divide on the public's view of Iraq, but the overall findings vary little from previous surveys. The telephone sampling of 1,013 adults was taken between Aug. 5 and Aug. 8, before the last U.S. combat brigades rolled out of Iraq on Wednesday. About 50,000 American troops are staying on to provide logistical support to the Iraqis in the on-going struggle with insurgents.

Source

I really dunno what to say about this other then I am honestly not surprised.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
53% is only a "small majority" now, is it? In 2004 that type of percentage was considered a "mandate".

[edit on 22-8-2010 by Frith]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Well, according to the November of 2005 National Strategy for victory in Iraq, one of the goals was:
"An Iraq that is peaceful, united, stable, democratic and secure, were Iraqis have the institutions and resources they need to govern themselves justly and provide security for their country"

They were expected to become a perfect civilization, something that we have never accomplished and never will. We are not peaceful nor united nor stable nor secure and we don't have or are not willing to provide security for our own country. The parts about being democratic and being governed justly I have issues with too.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
to the American people it was a failure

to the mega-corporations who siphoned
off trillions of dollars of profits. It was
a huge success.

It's not about winning or losing

it's about money

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I was an active participant in Operation Iraqi Freedom, and i must say that freedom has been achieved.
Any Iraqi now has the complete freedom to destroy anything or anyone said Iraqi wants blown up.
The people of Iraq are free to violently adhere to any foaming at the mouth Imam of there choosing.
They are absolutely free to band togather in small groups of jobless young men and intimidate whomever they choose.
Sounds and appears to me like the purpose of the operation has been achieved.

Otherwise the title would go something like Operation Iraqi Peace.

HAIL THE STATE

[edit on 23-8-2010 by godsenddeath]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Most Americans, or anyone else from another country, couldn't tell you off the top of their head the date we invaded Iraq, the name of Saddam's children, 3 major cities in Iraq, or reasons why there is sectarian violence. Point being, that poll is irrelevant to those who DO know such things.

Iraqi's today enjoy more freedoms than ever, and are benefiting economically two-fold since Saddam has been removed. If they can figure out a way to not let Islam rule their lives and governments like the majority of Middle Eastern nations, they will suceed and do well. If they revert back to Sunni tribalism and Shiite revenge, well, to hell with them.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Gainsayer

Well said Gainsayer. I tend to be quite sarcastic at times, and some folks tend look over my remarks due to thier jaded nature.

I almost attempted a correction, however after thinking about it you are correct. (Sunni tribalism, Shia revenge) Either way RELIGION.
They are people, being controlled by other people enjoying a primal erection controlling other people.

To say the country is no better is to say Russia was better under Stalin.
I have stood at the foot of a mass grave reflecting this exact thought.
Mass graves have a funny effect on the human mind. Starts one to ponder the whole of humanity.

HAIL THE STATE

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I'm an OIF vet as well, for whatever it's worth.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I think that if reminded of the purpose of the mission before the war started, and then asked this question....a lot more than 53% would consider the Iraq war a failure.

We accomplished absolutely zero over there and have tens of thousands of dead and wounded soldiers to show for it....not to mention the busted economy.

In the words of GWB: "mission accomplished"

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Makes perfect sense sir ( somehow got that vibe). I think if one has not experienced the worst aspects of humanity, one cannot fully grasp the concept.....One thing to speculate, entirely different to know

HAIL THE STATE

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
How can people rate the war IF IT'S NOT OVER?

IT'S NOT. NEVER WILL BE UNTIL THERE'S REAL CHANGE IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

This should be clear to anyone with at least two braincells that can rub together.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Only 53%? Just goes to show how many people are ill informed.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Well surely any real GUNS GUNS GUNS YEEEEEHAAWWW American can tell you this poll only indicates the need to re invade Iraq with twice as many GUNS GUNS GUNS YEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHH GUUUUUUUUUUNSSSSSS

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Iraqi's today enjoy more freedoms than ever, and are benefiting economically two-fold since Saddam has been removed

LOL cheers man, kinda needed that, successful troll is successful, hats of to you mate.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
In January 2010, there were approximately 1.3 million landline telephone subscriptions and 19.5 million mobile phone subscriptions, according to the Brookings Institution. That compares with a pre-war level of 833,000 landline subscriptions and no cellular network.

There are also now 1.6 million internet subscribers, compared with 4,600 before the US-led invasion.

The UN reported in 2004 that car ownership had doubled since 2003, but between then and the Iraq household socio-economic survey in 2007, the figure remained relatively static, rising just above 25%.

news.bbc.co.uk...
--------------------

No, sir, you're the troll. Water shortages wouldn't be half as bad as shown in those figures either if the insurgency hadn't been adamant about targeting them.
As for personal freedoms, that much goes without saying. If I have to break that down for you, you clearly have no grasp on Iraqi society pre-war.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Oh....you were being serious. Oh well sorry to hear that. Heres an article from global research concerning the current condition of Iraq seeing as how you actualy do need it explaind to you.

Im sorry but, car sales does not equal good, simply put theres a little more to it than that.

www.globalresearch.ca...

you clearly have no grasp on Iraqi society pre-war.

You mean the pre-war iraq that involved a decade of crippling U.N sanctions that killed hundreds of thousands perhaps even millions of innocent, men women and children?, daily bombings of civilian populations and infrastructure at the hands of U.S and NATO air forces?. Is that the pre war Iraq you speak off?, well as it happens i know a great deal about that and luckily for me so do far learned men than both yourself or I, so its kinda easy to pull all kinds of resources concerning the time period. That is of course if you still want to try and somehow argue the people of Iraq do infact have a better life now because broadband subscription has increased?, which in my personal opinion is total insanity.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Johnze]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Only 53%? On what possible basis or by what possible criteria could it ever be defined as a success?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

Please sir, feel free to type more than a one liner and post what someone else, has previously posted.
Ah yes, your STATE education does not permit a prolonged thought process. Either way please elaborate on your experiences dealing with Iraqi people, or possibly even seeing Iraqi people.

I find more STATE controlled people on this site than i would expect.

Appreciation to Gainsayer, stating facts the uninformed care nothing about
HAIL THE STATE

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by godsenddeath

lol, its all good man, maybe ill just go back to sleep eh

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

My appologies Johnze, I thought possibly you where going to let it go at a one liner.
However, feel free to argue pre-war Iraq. I have no idea about it. I can only speak for during-war Iraq. And I personally dont need a website link to know about during-war Iraq. But possibly you can change my mind about my own experiences. I can however tell you, if you think there where no pre-war acts of vile human depravity. Please elaborate sir.

HAIL THE STATE

top topics

<<   2 >>

join