It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bridgeport Couple Charged With Refusing To Sell Home To Black Buyers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

A Chicago couple faces federal discrimination charges after allegedly refusing to sell their South Side home to a black couple because of their race.

On Tuesday, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) announced charges against Daniel and Adrienne Sabbia, and their real estate agent Jeffrey Lowe after they allegedly took their home off the market when a black couple submitted the highest offer,

HUD said that in an interview with an investigator, the real estate agent for the property, Jeffrey Lowe of Lowe Group Chicago Inc., said Daniel Sabbia told him he would rather not sell to an African-American.
The couple then took the home off the market--claiming they could not find a suitable new home and wanted to keep their children in the same schools. But, after Willborn filed a complaint, the deal was apparently back on.

The Huffington Post

Wow.

However this raises a question in my mind. Now hear me out.

I understand the law that is in place now, you cannot discriminate race when selling your home, I get it.

My question is, should the law be changed? It's your home, shouldn't you be allowed to choose who you sell it to?

Thoughts ?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Your property is your property. Sell to who you want.

The scenario that will be dragged out is that some klansman wont want to tarnish his klan neighborhood by selling his house to some non-klan guy.

Well, if the klansman is moving out what does he care? Or, if the neighborhood is really all "klanny" and you are non-klan do you really want to live there? You know your life is going to be a living hell for quite sometime. Talk about bad neighbors.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I think the Federal Government needs to take a breath and step away on this one. Why would the black couple even remotely want to buy the house now if what the huff post said is true? I know I would not buy it. Americans we are overly sensitive these days, time to let common sense come into play.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

They won't step away, this will go to court and the "buying" couple will end up getting a nice chunk of change as punitive damages, just wait and see.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Well that's a bit excessive.. Yeah the homeowners did a crappy thing by refusing to sell to someone on the basis of skin color, but come on now. A discrimination lawsuit? Whatever happened to being able to sell your property to whoever you want to, and since when is refusing to sell to someone a federal offense?

The homeowners lost out on a sale because of their own prejudices. Their loss. But I don't see how refusing to sell your house can get you charged with anything. It's their property.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

No doubt they will. I just think its a waste of taxpayers money for this stupid crap to continue. But then again the past 200 years we have seen the same stupid crap.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
It says they took their home off the market. Ever think that maybe they just changed their minds on selling their house?

Also what if this was a black couple refusing to sell to a white couple? I wonder how that scenario would play out.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
FOR one thing, this is the Huffington Post.
A massively bias entity.
Next thing you'll hear is that they were republican and didn't want to sell to democrats.

For another, there's a chance that this is being blown out of proportion because the entire MSM always makes things about race now-a-days.

I never take these stories for truths.
Seems that someone almost always words things out of context.
How much do you want to bet the reporter is putting this story in 'his own words'.

Either way, if they refused to sell because of race, that's not politically correct, but who knows if the buyers were being ignorant or what.

This racial garbage is getting ridiculous.
People are all equal regardless of color.
It's their actions that define them.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Fair enough, but here are other articles. I was listening to this on the radio this morning, out of NY.

Fox News

Chicago News

Daily Mail UK

[edit on 12-8-2010 by elevatedone]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Either way, if they refused to sell because of race, that's not politically correct

I'd venture to say it's morally repungent and shameful.

However, I agree it's their right not to sell. No court of law should be involved instead the court of public opinion should soundly shame them. Sadly however, it won't, and thus you have goverment stepping in to try and do what you and I should be doing, which is make it socially unacceptable to be a jerk.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Consider for a moment the bigger picture...

While everyone focuses on bigotry and race, the real story here is about a property owner being able to decide what happens to thier own property.

Of course government wants in on this.

A decision in favour of the would-be buyer (or against the seller) in this case sets a precedent that any owner of any thing can have their decisions concerning their possessions over-ruled.

This is the crown jewel of a facist state, snuck in through the fog of a race dispute.

ETA...

This is happening in Illinois? Obama's home turf?

Christmas in August.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

I think the Federal Government needs to take a breath and step away on this one. Why would the black couple even remotely want to buy the house now if what the huff post said is true? I know I would not buy it. Americans we are overly sensitive these days, time to let common sense come into play.

Being a black american and knowing what it's like going from house to house and having everyone tell you no, no, and no, it angers me to see the comments here, and even seeing the attitude in general towards black Americans on what is supposed to be a website where you "Deny Ignorance".
Hate is driving this world in the gutter, and this is the last place I'd expect to find those that perpetuate the idea of your "Right to Hate", but it's a recurring theme at ATS. Not even the mods can control this craziness.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by [davinci]
Consider for a moment the bigger picture...

While everyone focuses on bigotry and race, the real story here is about a property owner being able to decide what happens to thier own property.

Of course government wants in on this.

A decision in favour of the would-be buyer (or against the seller) in this case sets a precedent that any owner of any thing can have their decisions concerning their possessions over-ruled.

This is the crown jewel of a facist state, snuck in through the fog of a race dispute.

ETA...

This is happening in Illinois? Obama's home turf?

Christmas in August.

I would star this post a million times if I could.

If the selling couple were to lose this case it would be a blow to property rights and the freedom to think what you want, regardless of how repugnant a belief may or may not be.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Fair Housing Act in effect here. If the sellers did not wish to sell to the black couple, they should not have accepted the offer. Accepting the offer, than recinding it creates this issue (not whether it is true or not) but provides opportunity to now take this to court. Which, incidently, is also a right.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

I think you misunderstood why I posted the thread.

I don't care if people are black, white or purple.

I just feel that you should be able to choose who you sell your proprety to.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by [davinci]

So let me get this straight. Those preventing people from taking it upon themselves to keep neighborhoods pure white are the fascists? Someone call storm-front and tell them they're the good guys!

[edit on 12-8-2010 by haterproof]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
ok i agree that you should be able to sell your home to whoever you want but the decision should not be based on race. if we can prove that the house was not sold because of racal bias than that should be illegal. the people that made the offer made the highest bid. this story screams of prejudice. i dont have all the facts so i cant say with %100 certainty but i have lived in the chicagoland area my entire life and i know that the neighborhood of bridgeport (home of the daley "royal" family in chicago has been notoriously racist and a hotbed for ethnic cleansing in my opinion. bridgeport is our mayors home town and in my opinion he should step up and say something. all those in favor of this are accepting ethnic cleansing, this has been going on for years, chicago once had nazi-like laws forbidding black people to live in certain neighborhoods, entire highway systems were put into place as dividing lines between black and white neighborhoods. black kids no better than to ride their bikes across certain streets. google the story of lenard clark an african american boy who was beaten to a pulp for riding his bike in the wrong neighborhood.

let me repeat, if this story can be proven to be based not because of race i would be shocked.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaCurious

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

Being a black American and knowing what it's like going from house to house and having everyone tell you no, no, and no, it angers me to see the comments here, and even seeing the attitude in general towards black Americans on what is supposed to be a website where you "Deny Ignorance".
Hate is driving this world in the gutter, and this is the last place I'd expect to find those that perpetuate the idea of your "Right to Hate", but it's a recurring theme at ATS. Not even the mods can control this craziness.

You have no clue what you are talking about. Is it right that the couple would not sell their house to blacks.. Yes... Is it the federal governments right to tell you that you have to sell your property. HELL NO. Its your do what you want with it.

It is Our God Giving Right to HATE anyone regardless of it hurts someone’s feelings. Is it right to hate people based on their skin tone... No Its not. But Its you’re right. However it is not your right to deny someone our Constitutional Guaranteed rights.... You don’t know me, Your crazy to think that someone has to sell their property to you, no one has to sell you there land. Now because of P.C the homeowners will most likely be sued lose money and still have to sell the house.

I am an American of Irish and Cherokee decent. And there have been times I was served horrible (I feel Because my skin tone is brownish) Do you think I want back to that store? Hell no I would also let all my friends know about that establishment and WE would vote with our wallet.... I would not buy a house in a neighborhood where I would not feel welcomed, Nor would I sell my home to someone I feel is going to be a nuisance to my neighbors, REGARDLESS OF SKIN COLOR...

Get over yourself Mega I could give a damn what the color of your skin is, I judge a person by the content of their character NOT the tone of their skin...

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

You are correct in your assumpation there. In a hundred years hopefully Skin color issues will go away. But its not going to get better till older generations start to die out.

Our there rasicts in my generation, sure not as bad as you see them in the older ones. (Generation Y)

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

its called the fair housing act. it is illegal to refuse sale to someone based on ethnicity/race. this law was put into place because of the racist laws prohibiting blacks from living in certain neighborhoods thus confining them to the ghettos, sound familiar? let me give you some hints, nazi germany, yugoslavia etc etc.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join