It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois lives up to its name: Bad Politics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Republicans Chastise Democrats for lowering taxes

The state of Illinois is offering some relief for families whose kids need a new wardrobe or a backpack full of supplies for the coming school year.
The state's first "Back-To-School Sales Tax Holiday" will start Friday and run through Aug. 15. During the 10-day event, shoppers will get a 5 percent sales tax break - the state's portion - on shoes, clothing and school supplies under $100.

Republican critics have said the timing of the holiday is wrong, arguing a time of dire financial straits is not ripe for cutting back on revenue. Florida is among the other states that have tried a sales tax holiday and discontinued it two years ago because of downturns in revenue - only to have lawmakers bring it back this summer because it was so popular, albeit for two days instead of the week it used to run.

YES FOLKS

You heard it correctly. REPUBLICANS are chastising democrats for LOWERING TAXES.

Proving 2 things:

1.) All Politicians Suck, especially Democrats & Republicans.
2.) Illinois sure knows how to breed them.

I hate living in Illinois. I really, really, do

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The democrats have been running Illinois for years and running it right into the ground, possibly even worse then California.

Oh and BTW,
Democrats, Advocacy Groups Blast Cuts to Food Stamps to Fund $26B Aid Bill
www.foxnews.com...

[edit on 103131p://bWednesday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
just democrats, eh?

I wasn't aware that George Ryan (one of the worst governors we've ever had) was a democrat?

Did he whisper it in your ear?

But more than anything, "Tax cuts" is the 2nd most central argument of the republican party (next to anti-abortion, of course)

To hear a republican say "DONT CUT TAXES!" simply because it's a democrat who did it, makes me laugh until im angry.

im not siding with the democrats here...though I do favor the tax holiday.

Im just using it to show another glaring example of the stupidity we deal with here in Illinois...and how im sure it's reflected in other states in the Union as well.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
You know, the article never says who these Republican critics are. Is it just some registered republican guy down the hall? Is it just someone labeled as a Republican? Is it the someone's father just lashing out?

Seriously. If the writer doesn't specify just who these supposed critics are and he uses a qoute from Farham who simply states that some Republican critics are against lowering taxes there in general and not in relation to this particular tax-break holiday.

Purposely misleading your readers with half truths is dishonest. Period.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf

im not siding with the democrats here...though I do favor the tax holiday.
What Republican stated that they were against it?

I don't know anything about this outside of the article, but nobody was quoted as criticizing the tax-free holiday.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Illinois is a filthy cesspool of dirty Chicago style cronie politicians,

two

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Hey, I notice the article states that Republicans are against the tax cuts.

Can you find an ACTUAL quote or is this a typical Illinois tactic, say that someone is against it without any proof.

Otherwise, I find your OP and the article to be hyperbole.

Quote please, I would find it HIGHLY suspicious if NONE can be found.

edit to add article-

Chicago Sales Tax Highest In America; Tied With Los Angeles

When the 6.25 percent Illinois sales tax, plus county taxes, city taxes and mass transit levies are taken together, Chicagoans pay 9.75 percent of every purchase in tax. This is equaled only by Los Angeles, according to an annual survey by CCH. Only in some parts of Kansas City is there a higher rate; that city has certain special tax districts in which customers pay 9.925 percent, though the city's base rate is one percent lower.

Funny to see that Chicago has the SECOND highest taxes in the NATION.

Where did ol Barry come from?

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Tyrannyispeace]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Tyrannyispeace

sure, guys, ill do the easy work for you and do a google search for a few quotes that you're going to ignore anyways...but what it really boils down to is sometimes, you just have to wipe your own ass:

It's a great campaign mailer …"‰, (but) it's a $60 million hit to state revenue at a time when we can't pay our bills," said state Rep. Bill Black, R-Danville.

"This just doesn't make a lot of sense at a time when we're making cuts," said state Rep. Jim Watson, R-Jacksonville. "It's a distraction from finding substantive, long-term solutions. You make people feel good for 10 days, but then it's back to reality."

source

Otherwise, I find your OP and the article to be hyperbole.

You're just lazy

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Illinois is a filthy cesspool of dirty Chicago style cronie politicians,

two

Yeah, the whole state is just a cesspool...everyone...not just politicians...lol

You just summed up your entire intellectual worth in one sentence. It didn't even need "two".

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Hey, the jury is hung on the Blago case.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by textex

Yup...not surprised to be honest.

All it takes is one juror shrugging his shoulders saying "I dunno, i think he's innocent" and presto - hung jury.

And all that takes is for Blago's buddies to find out who the jury is, and try to pay them off.

(that, or the jury is just like average human beings: Stupid. And favoring a juicy drawn out trial that will garner much attention)

My guess learns towards the latter.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
What do you expect from a state that runs on corn, daytime TV talk/judge shows, and nuclear power?

new topics

top topics

join