It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bermuda Triangle Mystery Solved?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Step aside outer space aliens, time anomalies, submerged giant Atlantean pyramids and bizarre meteorological phenomena ... the "Triangle" simply suffers from an acute case of gas.

Natural gas—the kind that heats ovens and boils water—specifically methane, is the culprit behind the mysterious disappearances and loss of water and air craft.

The two hypothesized that large methane bubbles rising from the ocean floor might account for many, if not all, of the mysterious disappearances of ships and aircraft at specific locales around the world.

The evidence for this is laid out in a research paper published in the American Journal of Physics by Professor Joseph Monaghan and honor student David May from the Monash University in Melbourne, Australia.

The methane—normally frozen at great pressure as gas hydrates embedded within subterranean rock—can become dislodged and transform into gaseous bubbles expanding geometrically as they explode upwards. When these bubbles reach the surface of the water they soar into the air, still expanding upwards and outwards.

This video is from a BBC documentary looking into the same hypothesis:

Any ships caught within the methane mega-bubble immediately lose all buoyancy and sink to the bottom of the ocean. If the bubbles are big enough and possess a high enough density they can also knock aircraft out of the sky with little or no warning. Aircraft falling victim to these methane bubbles will lose their engines-perhaps igniting the methane surrounding them-and immediately lose their lift as well, ending their flights by diving into the ocean and swiftly plummeting

Original Article

So, has this mystifying phenomena been solved?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
This theory have been knocked around for the past few years. The problem arises when people start looking for the huge holes that the release of these gas hydrates would leave in the sea floor. They aren't there.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Yeah it is A theory, but when you start to tear it down it doesn't account for all the things happenings. How does a methane bubble affect a Magnetic compass, or an Airplanes Navigation system. It would be nice to have an answer, but just any answer won't do.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by soontide

According to the United States Geological Survey there are large stores of undersea hydrates, including the Blake Ridge area, off the southeastern United States coast. However, they also state that they have not recorded any large releases of gas in the Bermuda area and believe there hasn't been any such release for 15,000 years.

I suppose it all depends on how large a release would have to be in order to sink a ship, something we wont really know until it is recorded in the field.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by KingAtlas

The problem with the BT case is that there is so much rubbish in circulation that it is hard to get the facts straight.

Can you reference some cases where a magnetic compass was effected or a planes navigation system altered? Cheers

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
This doesnt explain the strange magnetic and electrical problems that have been reported by ship captains and pilots before all contact was lost with them. Maybe there is a methane mega-bubble problem in this area but my gut feeling is that there is something else out there we have yet to take into account.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Comment removed 'cause I felt pretty bad saying what I said. Damned if it wasn't comedic genius, though.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Whine Flu]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
It's an old theory, that's been debunked over and over again by pundits, experts, and nuts just like us.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

In the early 1980s, geologist Richard McIver published an article in the AAPG Explorer suggesting that methane hydrates — a crystalline solid of methane gas and water, similar to ice (see sidebar) — on the ocean floor could break apart and release giant methane gas bubbles that could cause ships or airplanes to sink or explode. The article was sort of tongue-in-cheek, Dillon says, but the explanation for the disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle struck a chord and quickly propagated through the media. And because most geologists might go so far as to say it is conceivable, Dillon says, the explanation has stuck around, despite some inherent flaws. Methane hydrate is located in great volume all over the world, mostly on continental margins in the ocean or in permafrost in the Arctic, in places where the cold sea or land temperatures and extensive pressures hold them stable. Mapping has shown vast hydrate deposits off the East Coast of the United States from New Jersey to Georgia, although few, if any, in the actual area of the Bermuda Triangle, Dillon says.

Also doesn't explain the Devil's Triangle on the other end of the world, aligned with the Bermuda Triangle.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
reply to post by KingAtlas

The problem with the BT case is that there is so much rubbish in circulation that it is hard to get the facts straight.

Can you reference some cases where a magnetic compass was effected or a planes navigation system altered? Cheers

yes. Flight 19.
not one, but 5 planes all had problems with their nav aids, even the whiskey compass. I don't think gas will solve all the issues.

Also note that the plane they sent out the next day to search for them dissapeared within 20 minutes of departure, never to be seen again.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Some points regarding Flight 19:

In 1945, though, planes flying over water had to depend on knowing their starting point, how long and fast they had flown, and in what direction. If a pilot made a mistake with any of these figures, he was lost. Over the ocean there were no landmarks to set him right.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f7820fc8773e.jpg[/atsimg]

For some reason Taylor apparently thought the flight had started out in the wrong direction and had headed south toward the Keys, instead of east. This thought was to color his decisions throughout the rest of the flight with deadly results.

There was no sign of the Avengers. Nor did the authorities really expect to find much. The Avengers, crashing when their fuel was exhausted, would have been sent to the bottom in seconds by the 50 foot waves of the storm. As one of Taylor's colleagues noted, "...they didn't call those planes 'Iron Birds' for nothing. They weighed 14,000 pounds empty. So when they ditched, they went down pretty fast."

As for the missing Martin Mariner that was sent out to search for Flight 19:

Well, the crew of the SS Gaines Mill observed an explosion over the water shortly after the Mariner had taken off.

They headed toward the site and there they saw what looked like oil and airplane debris floating on the surface. None of it was recovered because of the bad weather, but there seems little doubt this was the remains of the Mariner.

The plane had a reputation as being a "flying bomb" which would burst into flame from even a single, small spark.

Source

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
When it comes to "EXPLAINING" the happenings in the BT ,their will be lots of different answers.Personally I think it is possibly a magnetic field of some sort causing navigation system to go haywire and thus causing the ships/planes to loose thier bearings .
Then also it might be one of the arears that ARE part of the ANCIENT global PORTAL system.?
With regards to the Methane GAS explanation ,...IT's a WHOLE lot of GAS ...

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
One question, if methane bubbles are to blame. What happens to all the wreckage?

I think by know we would have found quite a few ships on the bottom.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by lunchmanstan

Well, wreckages have been found in the BT:

In 1986, a historic ship called the Pride of Baltimore vanished from radar screens while it was in the Bermuda Triangle, making a trip from the Caribbean to Baltimore. About four and a half days later, the wreckage and eight survivors were found and they revealed that the ship had been hit by a microburst: 80 mile per hour winds emanating from a freak thunderstorm. It happened so quickly that the crew didn't have time to make a distress call. - www.firstscience.com...

This time a microburst was to blame but wreckages are found in Bermuda, it's just that they are not reported as widely as the disappearance itself. Which is why so many of the BT tales are still to this day regurgitated.

Having said this, finding a wreck isn't as easy as it seems - especially if there are no co-ordinates to work with and the currents are strong enough.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

lol typical.

if the experiment doesnt represent the theory dont change the theory, change the experiment to fit the theory. bravo. (claps)

not to mention the completely unlikely scenario there postulating. that much escaping gas to sink a ocean liner? really and are gas bubbles to blame for planes going off course? or barges that vanish into thin air but still maintain tension on the cable thats pulling it.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

you did a nice job of displaying that info. I can agree that the gas bubbles do seem to be a plausible explanation, but at one point the crew radioed in that they didn't know what direction west was. 5 planes had no magnetic bearing. I find that hard to explain away. (IMHO)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
or barges that vanish into thin air but still maintain tension on the cable thats pulling it.

now I want some more info on that one.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Well, it could certainly be a theory that could explain some of the occurrences.

I'd love to see some documented evidence of the cases you have mentioned though

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
actually i can let you all in on the truth of whats really going on.

the Philadelphia experiment was actually done out some miles out from Fort Lauderdale and the the experiment tore a hole through the fabric of reality and now ships planes and anything else gets sucked into the alternate reality where nixon is still president. check the dates.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

saw it on a documentary about 15 years ago ill see if i can find it on youtube.

story goes there was a crew towing a barge full of scrap or garbage through and one of the crew men came yelling back to the captain that the barge was gone. when the captain and first mate went to have a look there was no barge but the cable towing the barge was still taught and just ended in mid air like the barge was invisible but still attached to the tugboat.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
where is that dam edit key anyway a 10 second google search found this enjoy

www.bermuda-triangle.org...

I automatically looked aft to the barge; it was a reflex reaction. But there was no barge! We had felt no snap. And we would have because if a barge like that had been severed from a tug pulling it with all its power, you’d take off like a scalded cat! I knew it had to be there but I couldn’t see it. The towline was leading back the way it was supposed to be, but there was simply no barge. I ran to the afterdeck, then down to the towing deck, and started to pull the towing hawser— You can’t pull a 2,500 ton barge of course— but you can tell if something is attached. It was. The line was tight. It was very taught. There was something on the other end all right.

<<   2  3 >>

join