It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists agreeing end of times is near?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Well this is a bit scary. Scientists are agreeing that the end is near. I just read this on the Huffington Post. Apparently they are saying that its too late to turn back the damage from global warming and, one scientist even went as far as to say theres only a 50/50 chance we will make it through the decade.

Surveying the carnage humanity has inflicted on the ecosphere, the 95-year-old Australian scientist says nothing can change our fate now. "It's an irreversible situation," he's quoted as telling the press. "I think it's too late."

I suggest reading the full article here:
www.huffingtonpost.com...

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Jess_Undefined]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
The plot it does seem to thicken.
I have to wonder though, when do we go from hearing it, to seeing it?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I have no idea. But I would think this news would be on more news channels and what not. I mean they're saying its a fact that this global warming WILL cause a cataclysmic event in the near future. And saying its too late to change? Thats a whole thought in itself.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

Global Warming is a bit different from rapture, horsemen, beasts and Jesus returning so I think the article's title is honestly very very silly.

While I do think we humans are having ill effects on the environment I think the idea that we have only a decade left to survive is absurd. Considering that our species has survived extended ice ages I really find it ridiculous to suggest that a temperature raise is going to kill us all off. It might be the end of civilization, if it gets really bad (but I doubt it will be only a decade, more like a century) but that is hardly the end of the species and is definitely not a death sentence for the rest of life on this planet. Even if we die out there will be plenty of animals that will survive and evolve...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I thought it was common knowledge that the global warming myth has been debunked? Im personally more concerned with the increasing frequency of eartquakes, especially in Yellowstone.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Though we apear to be on the verbe of world cataclism,i do not think the earth is a starnger to such things.Nor do i believe we are the pinnacle of human developement.
It is obvious from the remnants of other civilisations, that we have not created the first, nor the highest developed civilisation either.
We are the remnant of the last big upheaval and just beginning to supass our ancestors in some respects.
The global warming scam does have some basis in fact, ie the world is warmer now then before....but it has never been put into context for the masses .
If indeed we do have an extinction event. whats to wprry about anyways...well all be dead!

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
It was the title on the Huffington Post article.

Anyways the whole global warming skit, who knows, but obviously these scientists are taking it pretty seriously if they think were going to be effected by it "very soon." The article is interesting but I guess just take it with a grain of salt.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

I'm not sure but you might want to be a little critical of that source.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Will do! I thought the Huffington Post was a pretty credible source from what ive heard? I guess any news site really isnt all that credible.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hooptie333
I thought it was common knowledge that the global warming myth has been debunked?

The Facts About Climate Change www.nature.org...

* FACT: Average global temperatures increased by about 1 degree Fahrenheit over the 20th century.
* FACT: The United States contains only 5 percent of the world's population, but contributes 22 percent of the world's carbon emissions.
* FACT: 15 percent of carbon emissions come from deforestation and land use change.
* FACT: The Golden Toad (Bufo periglenes) is thought to be the first species to go extinct because of climate change.
* FACT: Personal cars and trucks in the United States emit 20 percent of the United States' carbon emissions.
* FACT: Air conditioning and heating account for almost half of electricity use in the average American home.
* FACT: Climate change is linked to stronger hurricanes, more drought and increased coral deaths from bleaching.
* FACT: Climate change is linked to an increase in disease-carrying pests that lead to the increased spread of diseases such as dengue fever, malaria, lyme disease and West Nile virus.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
It is getting hotter than I can remember it being in over a decade.. I also recall the heat spells that went on for a few years were always eventually followed by years of cooler weather... The last week here had been 103 degrees or higher and there is more of the same in the forecast for the next 8 or 10 days... That is pretty normal when I think back 40 or 50 years. It just seems hotter because people these days are fat, unhealthy, not acclimated to temperature extremes, and they are wussies.... It is not the environment that is changing so much as it is the human species, due to the conveniences of modern life.... Were a lucky nation that there are hard working people that aren't victims of the comforts and fat and HFCS laden fast foods that we commonly indulge ourselves with coming into the country illegally to do the work of those that have allowed themselves to buy into the rapture thing and let themselves succumb to being fashionably worthless.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
More information. Extremely credible...
Global Warming 101

Video on Global Warming Narrated by Leonardo Dicaprio

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Fact:
A common theme with official climate stations of record is their placement with city and county fire stations. The reason? An observer is needed to transfer the data from the thermometer to the B91 form sent to NCDC every month. Unfortunately, fire stations are often not good places to measure temperature due to the amount of concrete and equipment around them.
www.norcalblogs.com...

Fact:
Earth's current atmospheric CO2 concentration is almost 390 parts per million (ppm). Adding another 300 ppm of CO2 to the air has been shown by literally thousands of experiments to greatly increase the growth or biomass production of nearly all plants.
www.plantsneedco2.org...

Fact:

Global Warming is junk science. It is a money making scheme.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

Yeah.
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you sleep better.
I don't want to burst your bubble.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain

Yeah.
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you sleep better.
I don't want to burst your bubble.

No more facts? Just hurl insults? Come on you can do better.Deny ignorance and put forth a logical argument on why you think the facts I presented are wrong. If I put a temperature sensor next to a heat source in a major city of course it will show a rise in temperature. Also we learned in 3rd grade about the carbon cycle. Plants use carbon, more carbon, more plants. If we have more carbon, we get larger plants.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Your input is appreciated. It is IMO way past time to stop denying climate change. To say the earth's climate cannot change is insane denial.

I am almost 50, when I was a kid in school on base in the 60's we saw some films on global warming, and in the 70's as a teenager when we were being taught about it I couldn't imagine the world's people not starting right then and begin to stop using certian products. I think it was already too late then. Only in the 60's and 70's, they thought it would be more than 100 yrs till we saw the real damages. But I have seen them now. It is happening, everything they predicted is happening. Personally I think it is a natural occurance, mother nature cleaning house, only humans have sped it up. If we had went solar a long time ago it may have bought some time.

For the poster who mentioned the weather and earthquakes: these ARE signs of global warming. As the waters rise and heat up, the extra pressure on the sea floors can cause earthquakes, and likewise warm waters spur hurricanes, making them much more intense.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Thank Goddess, I was afraid I would be stuck here forever.
I had a good run, I made out a lil better than even.
I will to continue to enjoy playing the game as I now know I don't have to do it forever, and we're past the tipping point.

Folks the end has been near forever.
This is how elites are able to do stupid things to us.
People exclaim, "Oh well they will get theirs in the end", or "Karma will get that one", or "He'll pay in the next life", or "This new law will not matter as we will all be dead in a few years anyway"
Do any of those sound familiar???
I bet they do.
The problem is we ARE in the right now.
The end is NOT near.
The stupid things we do today our offspring will have to put up with.
I promise some of you will never die!!
Dying implies you lived in the first place.
The end is not near.
Enjoy.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   

How about the fact that most arable land is already being used to grow crops (yet co2 levels continue to rise), and deforestation is happening, and there's increasingly more concrete on the planet... just to name a few counters.

I mean seriously... at what point does the rise in CO2 begin to bring plant vegetation to bring about a self-correcting mechanism? Wouldn't that be pretty much ongoing, to the best of the planets ability given the current set of circumstances? As we are, atmospheric CO2 continues to rise, because OBVIOUSLY, the planet can't filter any more naturally through increased plant production... considering all of our past, and current actions.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   

No more facts? Just hurl insults?

If you want insults...I have them in spades for you but nothing loosely fitting that description has yet been hurled your way. Watch the videos. They are my argument.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

While I do think we humans are having ill effects on the environment I think the idea that we have only a decade left to survive is absurd.

To be fair, not all the scientists agreed that it would be within the decade. Nor did the Christians. One said we would not survive the century, which is 90 years.

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
Considering that our species has survived extended ice ages I really find it ridiculous to suggest that a temperature raise is going to kill us all off. It might be the end of civilization, if it gets really bad (but I doubt it will be only a decade, more like a century) but that is hardly the end of the species and is definitely not a death sentence for the rest of life on this planet. Even if we die out there will be plenty of animals that will survive and evolve...

I think from the article it did seem that they were more concerned with humans than all life on Earth. Not surprisingly. However just because we survived severe climate change in the past does not mean we could do so now.

For one thing, we have depleted the stocks of fish, other wild game, (which might be more able to survive than our domesticated animals) and likewise we have become overly dependent upon a few food crops. Those things alone put us at risk, with or without climate change. So, less food, less variety that might ensure some might survive an abrupt climate change.

Now add to that an obscenely inflated population. Less food, less variety in our crops and animals, many many many more people. Plus, damaged crop lands from centuries of abuse. During the ice age, people had fresh new lands to move onto when theirs became uninhabitable. We no longer have that as an option. Which brings up another detail to consider. War.

People, animals, everything, fights for survival and resources. We happen to have weapons that can do even more damage to the environment. Toss in the disease that comes along with widespread fighting and societal collapse, and we have a good recipe for serious depletion if not extinction of the human race.

But precisely when, and what event will kick the whole thing off, is anyones guess. But I do agree that we are on a trajectory that makes it appear that this is inevitable. The one thing that would have given us the best shot would have been to lower our numbers by attrition. Simply having less children than the death rate. But evolution has made us all selfish and competitive, and that hasnt even really been on the table. In many industrialized nations birth rates have been declining spontaneously. However that works against the pyramid shaped economic structure and so our leaders have just been importing people from other nations to make up for the declining birth rates.

So even those groups of people who were behaving in adaptive ways have had that nullified by importation from countries where they have not.

C'est la vive. There is a big difference between knowledge and wisdom. We have lots of the first and very little of the second.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join