It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10,000 hours to achieve your life's goal!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
That's right, according to Malcolm Gladwell you only need to spend 10,000 hours "intensively focusing" on your life's goal to achieve it. I got this from a friend tonight (Mark Oughton) and I tend to thoroughly agree with what he says!

SOURCE

If you want to achieve what you think you're worth, then be prepared to WORK for it. This is a very easy thing to say when you don't consider the environments or family situations most people are born into. Anyone, who hasn't been given the opportunity to stretch their legs, so to speak, or had time to really ponder on how they can be of use to the world will understand - It's NOT that EASY!

But, I'm one of those people. I've worked to force myself into a position whereby, although I'm still a slave to the masses, I'm far better off than I was 10 years ago. From reflection, this has been through some serious hard work.

My issue here, is that there seems to be a very big hold in the "work ethic" where victimisation is easier to deal with than the harsh reality that you must work HARD to achieve what you want.

P.S. Before anyone starts, let me get this in... I understand that the modern economy doesn't allow much room for competitive business as there are too many major powers that control most aspects of industry. However, the reality is NO ONE is going to change that. I found that some words helped me through this from the source of this post:

“No one – not rock stars, not professional athletes, not software billionaires and not even geniuses – ever makes it alone,” writes Gladwell in Outliers: The Story of Success." - Malcolm Gladwell

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I know folks who slept only 3-4 hours a night for decades trying to genuinely succeed in their business or talent only to end up losing everything. AND I know PERSONALLY quite a few total LAZY, WORTHLESS people who happen to have a WEALTHY family member to which succeeded having only worked a real genuine 3-4 hours TOTAL in their ENTIRE life.

They succeeded as the result of EVERYONE ELSE'S back-breaking labor. And by back-stabbing and trampling over others.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Baloney]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
10,000 hours of hard work to get what you want and ten mints of the wrong thing at the wrong time to louse it all .
Man even Donald trump was bankrupt once. now the fall and how far you fall is almost the same in every case . under 100k in value you can end up in the streets over 100 million you just start over at a 10 million worth .

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
If you are born into it the it would probally be much quicker like 1000 hours,

If you born with aids in Africa to a heroin/gas addidicted mother then u dont stand a chance.

This is bunk,Maybe he based it off his circle of friends, But not the world..

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
My life's goal is to enjoy life despite the BS.

Wow I just achieved it in 1 second.

People please open your minds.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Terric

10,000 sounds a bit high, but what do I know?

When I learned to fly, and progressed in my training and knowledge, eventually I was qualified to TEACH others to fly...at that point, hard to remember that far back, I had maybe....600 to 1,000 hours? That is actually more than required to instruct...and each hour you're teaching you log as well, as flight time.

Of course, that doesn't count all the hours spent reading and learning on the ground...you don't log that time, so I have no idea.

IF you know your "life's goal" (mine was the ultimate airline job) in THAT profession you can actually achieve it in less hours, total time.
~~~
clarify...less than I had, at my hiring. Typical "minimum' at most US airlines is around 1,500 to 2,500 hours. Very different around the world, though. And, timing is a factor, as mentioned below...
~~~

My logged hours at the time of my hiring were about 6,000...but, still, that encompasses a LOT of other hours, not logged. AND, I hit the industry at a bad time, and had to slog at smaller commuter companies for years...

Career total logged hours? Over 20,000 by now. (I shudder to think how many hours were spent sitting in hotel rooms on overnights, watching CNN Headliine news repeat every 30 minutes...UGH!)

In many professions, well the airlines, it's really about market demand, and job opportunities/economics and health of the industry...AND you have to compete with a horde of other aspirants.

Sometimes it's WHO you know, not WHAT you know.

I reckon many other of "life's goals" are equally variable, as to the amount of effort required...sometimes it really boils down to luck (Or, timing...a form of "luck". Maybe 'karma'??? This gets esoteric, eventually....)

(My head hurts.....)

[edit on 6 August 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Yep

This 10,000 hours thingy is aimed at the corporate drones who spend their life buzzing around the bosses ankles hoping to catch any scraps that he may drop...

On a side note...

You know the one thing that always amazes me?? People who generally think that their job isn’t tough enough... You know the ones...

"Oh i had to leave my old work place, the job was too easy and I needed more of a challenge"

WHAT?!?! Are you mad?!?!

Could you imagine some third world farmer complaining that the soil was too easy to dig or wishing there was less rain to make growing conditions more difficult???

Seriously... what kind of brainwashed nutter wants a tougher job???

When in employment I will always work hard, but for me a job is a means supporting my family... it’s not life itself!!

Sorry... off topic waffle over

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
...it said "your life's goal" - so, that could be anything... doesnt have to be a goal thats geared to make you financially comfortable, professionally successful...

...your goal could be something that doesnt have anything to do with fame or fortune - and - thank goodness theres no law that says you only get one big goal for your whole life 'cause that would be excruciatingly boring...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baloney
I know folks who slept only 3-4 hours a night for decades trying to genuinely succeed in their business or talent only to end up losing everything. AND I know PERSONALLY quite a few total LAZY, WORTHLESS people who happen to have a WEALTHY family member to which succeeded having only worked a real genuine 3-4 hours TOTAL in their ENTIRE life.

They succeeded as the result of EVERYONE ELSE'S back-breaking labor. And by back-stabbing and trampling over others.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Baloney]

George W. Bush comes to mind.

A completely useless businessman who has bankrupted everything in he touches was President of the most powerful country on Earth, and he was reelected, though both elections were tainted with fraud.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
i suppose even someone born in kenya, if he made it his goal, could one day become the president of america

i beleive anyone can do anything also

btw, wasn't trying to be off topic, or rude in any way, just wanted to really drive the idea home - no matter what circumstances you're born into, where you are, where you've ended up... if you play your cards right, you can control your future and do ANYthing

[edit on 8/6/2010 by indigothefish]

[edit on 8/6/2010 by indigothefish]

top topics

join