It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abdullah Khadr freed by Toronto court

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Abdullah Khadr freed by Toronto court

www.theglobeandmail.com

The oldest son of the Khadr family was released from prison Wednesday after spending four-and-a-half years in custody on terrorism charges.

Abdullah Khadr was released after a Toronto judge stayed his extradition hearing.

Ottawa wanted Mr. Khadr, 29, sent to the U.S. to face terrorism-related charges, but Ontario Superior Court Justice Christopher Speyer ruled a self-incriminating statement Mr. Khadr gave to American agents while in custody in Pakistan was “manifestly unreliable.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I haven’t seen this anywhere in the US media, so I thought I would post it. I’m not surprised by the way... Omar Khadr’s trial is supposed to begin in just a couple days.

"Abdullah’s lawyers argued their client’s incriminating statements were the result of torture during detention in Pakistan”. Surprise surprise...

Some may flame me for it, but I think this is a good ruling made by the judge.

www.theglobeandmail.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by worlds_away

Some may flame me for it, but I think this is a good ruling made by the judge.

Agreed.

The Americans accept such statements made under torture, but I'm glad Canada is refusing to accept them.

We are so much better than the Americans - And all we had to do is not torture people and dismiss statements obtained using torture.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Here is a few questions.
Why was he in Pakistan to begin with?
Why was his brother in Afghanistan and incarcerated for throwing a grenade in an American soldiers tent?
How did his father die?

That family is messed up and I want them all out of Canada forever.
The fact we have to even debate it and have a trial is insane.

Answers.
Mr. Khadr was arrested in Pakistan in 2004 after the U.S. government issued a $500,000 US bounty for his capture.

Read more: www.nationalpost.com...

Omar Khadr, 23, the only Canadian still held at the U.S. prison, has been detained there since 2002 following a firefight with U.S. forces in Afghanistan. He is charged with throwing a grenade that killed American medic Christopher Speer. He was 15 years old at the time.

His Dad.
Mr. Khadr is the eldest son of Ahmed Said Khadr, an al-Qaeda financier who was killed by Pakistan forces in a shootout near the Afghanistan border in 2003. His family had immigrated to Canada in 1977.

I say deport them all back where they came from and quit wasting money fighting for these moron fundamentalists.
Remember they are Canadian citizens and not part of some Army fighting in Afghanistan.
What were they doing there in the first place??

[edit on 4-8-2010 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

We are so much better than the Americans - And all we had to do is not torture people and dismiss statements obtained using torture.

I'm Canadian and I disagree... How do you determine who is better?

Yes, we as Canadians HAVE totured prisoners of war... There was memos released 5 months ago, did you forget already?

I think if we deployed 165k troops to take over Iraq, we'd be up on the same charges... but maybe not something as Abu Garab torture prison.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I am not flaming but i think these animals should even get a trial. What they do to americans and other people around the world is horrid and they should be stepped on like the bugs they are. I would love personally to be the executioner for any and all of these pieces of scum. they all deserve to die!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

Yes, we as Canadians HAVE totured prisoners of war... There was memos released 5 months ago, did you forget already?

And there was a big todoo in parliament about that.

I don't think any of the MP's were justifying the use of torture. Did you hear them justify it?

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Exuberant1]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
This is a complex issue, because I feel that some people are really caught up in the forever karmic trap of retaliation, but I also believe that all terrorist groups are orchestrated by the bloodlines and many by the cia even. And 9/11 is an inside job. No doubt whatsoever in my mind, I knew it from day one. And I knew they were going into the middle east and the chance of me being wrong based on all their foreign policy niceties such as sending in mercenaries to topple flegling democracies world wide and in south america to set up their favorite style, dicators, including in Iran in the past, sorry, my chance of being wrong was slim, they earned what I believed from day one.

So its all very upsetting, because I see it all blidenburg orhcestrated, without exception and ordinary people caught up in it, including from the middle east.

In this case, with even the chance, one that again must be derived by logic of what one knows about how the US behaves, and believing that this logic is well deserved and even earned by the US, that torture was used to get a confession, legally we can't send him anywhere.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Everyone deserves a trial, even you
Remember that.

Remember Bush saying foot ball hero Pat Tillman died bravely during a taliban ambush and then the army surgeons testified he was wounded, then shot triple tap to the head from ten feet away by his own, because he planned to come home and tell the truth about the whole sorry deal?

Then what are the odds the whole Khadr story is BS?
Beyond a reasonable doubt.

Hell we haven't even proven who murdered the Canadians that were in the WTC. Let alone justified the deaths of all the Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan...
Oh I forgot the Opium that the US troops are guarding that makes it all worth while....

When some one like the Ex attourney General Pierre Blais can say during a tribunal, where a man isn't even allowed to defend himself:
"the truth is no defense"
Then Canada is NOT the place you might think it is.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by worlds_away

I don't know if it's good or bad. If the confession was taken under torture then it should be inadmissible since people will agree to anything to make the pain stop. If the confession was voluntarily he should have been charged with crime.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I still say terrorists should all be lined up and shot. Treat them like #, use them as your own personal stress relief, etc... they will be punished and then rot in the ground once we are done!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sumdumguy
I still say terrorists should all be lined up and shot. Treat them like #, use them as your own personal stress relief, etc... they will be punished and then rot in the ground once we are done!

So if someone tortured you into saying you were a terrorist or tortured your children in front of you so that you admitted being a terrorist to get the pain to stop - that you want us (decent society) to shoot you?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Why were they there in the first place???

Answer me this.
While other 15 year old Canadian kids went to school,played hockey and watched the war on tv...what is a 15 year old (who loved his jihad wanting fundamentalist father) Canadian kid doing in Afghanistan in the middle of the war zone in the first place??
Why was another family member caught on the Pakistani border?
Why was another family member killed near the Afghani border?

This is typical of Canadian families??
Out of every Canadian family I know,NONE of them are doing anything even remotely as suspicious as this.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
If it is a "Decent Society" they would know who is a terrorist and who is not.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Sumdumguy

you have a very simplistic view of the world. people don't have neon signs saying "terrorist" on their heads. the only way to know if someone is a terrorist is AFTER they commit an act of terror.
there is no justice in torturing and killing people based on your own instincts of who is who.
what you don't seem to realise is that a far bigger danger than terrorism (which is just a glorified CRIME), is the totalitarian powers being written into existence by corrupt politicians who get kickbacks from weapons manufacturers and pharmaceutical giants.
airport security is a joke. do you think they are using some kind of psychic powers blessed to those who "just know" who terrorists are by looking at them?

people need to see beyond this media veil of lies. YOU are the terrorists. that's what "they" want. they want EVERYONE to be a suspect, thereby by-passing the protections that the constitution is SUPPOSED to guarantee. if you are simply ACCUSED of being a terrorist, you have lost all of your "rights". effectively, NO ONE has "rights" anymore, thanks to the 9/11 global illuminati ceremony.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by billybob]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

All I know is that he was born in Canada, he is a Canadian citizen. At 15 (15!) he should have been considered a child soldier. I don’t give a damn about his parents, religion, his dreams or nightmares.

All I know is that there is no doubt in my mind that Canada looked the other way while one of their citizens was tortured, detained and and held without trial for 7 years.

The Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that Omar’s rights were violated. Has it done anything about it? No.

I am the same age as Omar, I was 15 when he was 15.

"Canada actively participated in a process contrary to its international human rights obligations and contributed to K’s ongoing detention so as to deprive him of his right to liberty and security of the person, guaranteed by s. 7 of the Charter, not in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.” from the Supreme Court of Canada ruling Canada vs. Khadr, 2010.

read the rest of the ruling here: Judgements of the Supreme Court of Canada

This is actually one of the times that I am ashamed to be Canadian. It doesn’t happen often.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by worlds_away]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sumdumguy
If it is a "Decent Society" they would know who is a terrorist and who is not.

Explain.

You see, right now you don't make any sense.

One might be forgiven for mistaking your reply for an attempt at being clever. But it isn't and you don't sound clever at all.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by worlds_away

how about during the G20? that was about as uncanadian as you can get. there are no more countries. only hazy afterimages. the NWO is here and now.
people MIGHT be able to stop the onslaught, but i seriously doubt that anyone has the organisational skills, nor the information channels.
sad.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by billybob

I don’t know if we can really compare the G20 to Omar’s situation.

To be honest, one of the reasons I feel so strongly about Omar is because we are the same age. At 15, I was shocked that Canada would hand over one of our citizens that was the same age as me. I don’t know all the details of the firefight to be sure, but I imagined myself in the same boat.

No access to counsel, no rights, no freedoms as guaranteed under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

After 9/11 I slowly saw the life being sucked out of the world. I quickly realized how Canada would just fall into line with the U.S. and look the other way.

Anyone answer me this. If Khadr’s family had been anything other than a visible minority (ETA in Canada) do you think we would be here discussing this? Or am I being naive?

[edit on 4-8-2010 by worlds_away]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Actually their are signs, not literal, but there are signs like what they do how they act their interne searches stuff like that, who they hang out with all kinds of things. if someone is suspected of being a terrorist they will have a lot of surveilance on those people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join