It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six teens drown in Shreveport's Red River

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
For more on this story, go to CNN affiliates KSLA and KTBS.

(CNN) -- As temperatures soared Monday, the cool water of Shreveport, Louisiana's, Red River lured a group of family and friends to its banks.

In an effort to cool off, one of the teens wandered into the shallow part of the river.

At some point he slipped into deep water and started to drown.

So six more teens went to his rescue.

Only one made it back to shore.

CNN Video coverage:
www.cnn.com...

This is such a sad and tragic happening, I cannot imagine what the level of shock and grief will be for the parents who unable to swim themselves stood on the shore and watched as their children drown one after the other.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Another 2 yr old boy is missing from the same area one disappaered in. It seems the world is going absolutely mad. Why, how did this happen ?
I myself am shocked at your post. I can't believe this.
Horrible to watch your child drown.

I have to go out to the garage again. time for more cussing.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
You know there were some threads about some heavy duty astrological stuff going on right now, I know in my RL I have suffered much in the past couple days, my Moms (rip) 20 year old kitty died on the first and then my prize rooster died day before yesterday. I personally have benn feeling anger which usually happens prior to something bad.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Professional and strong swimmers can and do drown.

Someone who does not know how to swim should not be swimming! People underestimate the power of water currents that can be present in any body of water. Swimming is not a game. It can be deadly.

What I don’t understand is how a group of people who do not know how to swim go swimming?!

Parents need to be extra extra EXTRA vigilant when their children are near water. It is one of the places I might consider putting my (non-existant) children on a child-leash.

ETA This story does not shock me, it angers me.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by worlds_away]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Op you said it was on Cnn but I havn't heard a peep of this. Are they saying these people couldn't swim? Who would attempt a rescue if they couldn't swim in the first place. That many teens together no one learns to swim? This has BP corexit dispersants written on it's forehead. written all over it.

Fumes rising just above the water, thinning only as they rise, would keep a person from breath when they come up for air. This sounds more likely to me.

Shooting in conn. 9 dead.

A 14 yr old girl is dead another 11 is critical shooting in palmdale calif.
All today.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Not teaching your kids how to swim is a form of child neglect. I don't care what color your skin happens to be. If you can't teach them, get someone who can, and get them to teach you at the same time.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by antar

Op you said it was on Cnn but I havn't heard a peep of this. Are they saying these people couldn't swim? Who would attempt a rescue if they couldn't swim in the first place. That many teens together no one learns to swim? This has BP corexit dispersants written on it's forehead. written all over it.

Fumes rising just above the water, thinning only as they rise, would keep a person from breath when they come up for air. This sounds more likely to me.

This happened in Shreveport, LA. Get a map.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

I was put out too to read that black people drown more than whites, I agree children should be taught to swim.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Every single year there are stories like this. There are probably millions of people in the world who do not know how to swim.

My parents taught me at an extremely young age how to swim and how to know what bodies of waters to avoid. The latter part is most important.

Some bodies of water have extremely strong currents that could pull the strongest of swimmers underwater and drown them. These currents are not always visible from shore.

www.cnn.com

quote from article - "Somebody's going down to that river today, and they don't need to get in the water if they don't know how to swim or have a flotation device.”

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
One thing I thought was that after the first non swimming child drown, I would have been FREAKING and grabbing the rest not to go in too! I would have kept at least some of them back, at least I would hope so.

My kids get so mad at me around water, I make them have flotation devises and watch them like a hawk.

Still it is very scary and a lesson to us all to be extra vigilant with our children this summer, just tragic.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Believe me, your kids will thank you when they are older. I thank you now.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by worlds_away]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I cant believe this story. I read the adults cant even swim and the kids go in one by one and drown? THE ADULTS CANT SWIM? They just watched them drown? How the hell can you not know how to swim and take your kids to the water? I bet they know all about LeBron james underwear sponsor this week. What a society. After reading this kind of story/tragedy I almost want the world to end just to get rid of these braindead people. I dont even care if i have to go just to shake mother earth of these termites.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by dntwastetime]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dntwastetime

Geeze I know what you mean, and it is true but for every tragedy like this there has to be a balance where someone was teaching their child to swim or something courageous happening, there has to be.

I do not know that it was one by one they went into the water, seems like if that was the case the parents would have had the chance to stop them at some point, they probably all jumped in at the same time or something, I dont know.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by worlds_away

Lol, yep thats what I did when I read your post, thankyou too, I have a real problem and have since being a young Mom many years ago with parents that just had no business giving birth.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
thats Darwinism for you.

but for me personally, I wont swim anywhere where I cant see the bottom, be it a lake, river or whatever.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Despite the parents not knowing how to swim, I don't understand how in the view of a terrible tragedy like this, how immediately people need to deal with their shock and sorrow, by casting blame on others, and lashing out. I feel so sorry for the families of these children, and it was a terrible tragedy, just overhwelming, to hear this.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
i don't want to sound cold or callus but when i heard this story this morning the first thing i thought of is if they couldn't swim what were they doing near the water without some type of flotation device? Yes its a sad tragedy and i feel for the families but it was their own stupidity that got them killed.

No one there could swim and they only had 1 life preserver between them. and its not like people from that area don't know not to swim in the Red River because of the Swift Current and the ever changing sand bars. and there's signs posted warning of the dangers in that area as well. Could no one in the family not read as well? or could they not comprehend what they was reading? the parents in this case really should be charged with negligence in the deaths of these kids!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I'm really shocked at the fact that no one else got just thrown in at a young age and let nature kick in... what was I 5? When my brother grabbed me and tossed me in and I have been an avid swimmer ever since lol...I agree with the poster up there, swimming is serious I tried out for life guarding and it's no walk in the park...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Apparently there was a steep, sudden drop-off where the kids were wading. That's why I hate and respect rivers - it's too unpredictable underneath your feet. One minute you could be standing on something solid, and the next step....

top topics

join