It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous Punishes the Oregon Tea Party

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
The Oregon Tea Party suffered the wrath of Anonymous after it was discovered using the group's famous "We Are Legion" slogan in official materials and merchandise.

Chances are that if you're reading this, you have at least a passing familiarity with Anonymous. For those who don't, it's a sort of internet meme/subculture type of thing, strongly associated with 4chan, that commits acts both online and and in the real world, sometimes good, sometimes bad and always "for the lulz." I don't really get it myself, to be quite honest, but I do know enough to stay out of its way.

The same can't be said for the Oregon Tea Party, however. For reasons unknown, although probably because it sounds cool and ominous, the conservative political protest group began using the slogan, "We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us." According to the Daily Kos, the slogan first appeared on a sign at at Tea Party rally and before long it turned up on official Oregon Tea Party bumper stickers.

So the Tea party tried to use Anonymous slogan to advertise themselves and garner support for whatever their cause is. Needless to say Anonymous was not impressed by this and as a result and it resulted in many

As a result of touching the hornets nest:

The Oregon Tea Party Facebook page was quickly subjected to an onslaught of image macros, desus, flames and herp derps, along with at least one message explaining why it was being smacked around.

Within a couple of hours, the Tea Party had run up the white flag with a message reading,

"Anonymous: We appreciate your resources and admire your tactics. You have taught us more than you know. As requested, we are no longer using the 'anonymous' quote."

Perhaps if the Tea partier would have realised that Anonymous loathed Tea Parties and many ultra conservative stuff they wouldn't have brought this onslaught on them.

The #1 rule of the internet - the ONE thing every person using it should know - don't provoke anonymous. just don't do it. Don't acknowledge them, don't borrow from them, just leave them in their own little vaccuum. If you try to engage them in any way, you are going to lose, unless you bring some epic win (see the old spice guy).

Co-opting an element of anonymous culture for a political rally is just asking for trouble.

The apology and backtracking didn't helping the Tea Party when Anonymous focused on them and as a result

The Oregon Tea Party's Facebook page is now gone completely and its Ning page, where the use of the quote was confirmed as legitimate, has been limited to members-only access. The campaign was clearly a win and entertaining as always, but does anyone else find it disturbing that the Tea Party, which bills itself as a legitimate voice of conservative political dissent in the United States, "admires" the tactics of Anonymous?

Source

The tea party got the message from Anons

What is more amusing is how now even the political parties aim to harness the power of Anonymous. I have to say I got utmost lulz out of this seeing the Tea Party getting their ass handed to them for messing around Anonymous and it should act as a warning for other political parties thinking along these lines. Does it also means Anonymous has now more power then thought before that even political parties are aiming to fill them up? But these political parties don't realise that

Anonymous is the ultimate grassroots organization. Like minded people, who band together for a cause, with no central leadership or organizational force to enact social change (or whatever). Anonymous is basically crowd sourced activism, for better or worse, so to that extent it is worthy of admiration. Yeah, they're dicks, but they're dicks in a way that is goddamn fascinating to watch.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by EFGuy]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I guess they are going to come after me for wearing my Mark 5:9 shirt from now on? Shame, I liked anonymous up until this point.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Great post, Personally i love em,i wish they would get up the aussie government more,and take on tptb,that would be cool.
They dont hurt anyone,just expose the truth,we need more of it.
Let this be a lesson to the tea party!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by EFGuy

Wow, HEY ANONYMOUS!

We are legion, we are many.

Come and get me.

Oh, but you better watch out, FOR I AM THE EATER OF WORLDS, the endisnighe!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
It's official then Anonymous is more powerful than political parties! hah love it !

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Hopefully this will get more coverage and show the world exactly what anon really is - not just a few basement dwellers that raid teen girls facebook pages, but truly a power to be reckoned with. The biggest reason anon gets such a bad rep is because they play a part in just about everything controversial nowadays, seeing as they are probably the biggest single collective entity in the world, and people tend to concentrate on the bad rather than the good. But Anonymous can make things happen more than just about any other group. They can move mountains, and they will. Their numbers are only growing and will continue to grow until the internet ceases to exist as we know it. Shame the US govt considers them a terrorist group, but hey, what better way to fill the FEMA camps? Might wanna build a few more though if you wanna get all of us.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Interesting.. a sleeping giant?

This actually bothers me. A subculture of "L33t H@xors" is one thing, but if the group was organized enough to pull something like this off, it seems that there is more to it than that.

Having a wild card out there is fine -- good actually, but if there is a control structure, there exists the potential for an agenda. I fear that Anon may find themselves coopted by players much bigger than they can imagine if they are not careful.

[edit on 7-31-2010 by rogerstigers]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

According to my sources this Oregon Tea Party thing was strategically organized.

Its whole purpose is to give momentum to this agent provacateur group which is 100 anarchist subdivision of the whole " control the internet" operation.

At the very top this is just another Illuminati contingency plan. They have many of these active right now.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by Pocky]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by havenvideo
Hopefully this will get more coverage and show the world exactly what anon really is - not just a few basement dwellers that raid teen girls facebook pages, but truly a power to be reckoned with.

Actually it kind of makes them look like a bunch of whiny brats who need to read their bibles again before they go causing trobule over co-opted phrases.

It is one thing to fight a noble cause or stand in the name of justice where normal folks cannot stand but to get all upset over a sentence they did not even make up? Really?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adevoc Satanae

Hopefully this will get more coverage and show the world exactly what anon really is - not just a few basement dwellers that raid teen girls facebook pages, but truly a power to be reckoned with.

Actually it kind of makes them look like a bunch of whiny brats who need to read their bibles again before they go causing trobule over co-opted phrases.

It is one thing to fight a noble cause or stand in the name of justice where normal folks cannot stand but to get all upset over a sentence they did not even make up? Really?

Not sure that they were annoyed abotu the legion thing... just the use of the phrase as a whole. The part that bothers me is that they seem to be organized enough to have a "brand" that they want to protect.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
Not sure that they were annoyed abotu the legion thing... just the use of the phrase as a whole.

It is the phrase as a whole I am referring to. Even if you have never read a version of the bible putting it that way it is a phrase uttered countless times in countless places. I comes up in a boss battle in an old playstation game from 11 years ago so I do not understand how they feel the right or need to toss all credibility out the window by getting upset over a phrase that is not theirs.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Anon, anon, anon...

Maybe when they grow up and move out of their parents basements they will do something useful with the "power" they claim to possess.

Just another form of graffitti. Fix it, and move along.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Funny how some people write about anon as "they". Anon is we the people. Anon is you and me, when we want to express our belonging to something bigger - a mutual cause.

Put on that mask, take over the streets. And when the bad is cleaned and the house is blown, take of the mask and admire what you accomplished when you pulled a common rope. Anon is exactly what we need in this day. Still, i believe most anon is still sleeping, waiting for the moment, waiting for "this is enough"

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I still say that if the Tea Party is really adopting Anon's tactics, we're all going to DIE. VIOLENTLY.

Above: Anon is not exactly "us". Anon is what we could be if we could get mobilized into a cause; if we could stop fearing the repercussions. They do not fear the repercussions, which is why they are so powerful; they have a perfect mask of anonymity which allows them to escape. Even if any individual members were exposed, they couldn't take the whole brunt; everyone knows Anon is Legion.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adevoc Satanae

Er, no, they kind of intentionally appropriated that from the bible. They are a demon with more faces than they have masks. The Tea Party seems to have had no idea what they were appropriating.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
Er, no, they kind of intentionally appropriated that from the bible.

Er, no. They are attacking someone else for appropriating it as well. How does that make any sense? Are you really claiming that once they used it in reference to the bible, no one else could?

They are a demon with more faces than they have masks. The Tea Party seems to have had no idea what they were appropriating.

That is not even what it means in the bible.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Adevoc Satanae

Wrong, buddy. In Anon's, it's an allusion; in the Tea Party's, it's thefr that they weren't even aware of. The Tea Party has admitted that they made a mistake and that they had no idea what they were doing; they weren't alluding, they were being idiots.

As for the bible... well, you shouldn't assert things like that without knowing your stuff. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
reply to post by Adevoc Satanae

Wrong, buddy. In Anon's, it's an allusion;

Wrong again. You are going to have to show me how anon owns that phrase.

in the Tea Party's, it's thefr that they weren't even aware of.

Theft from whom?

The Tea Party has admitted that they made a mistake and that they had no idea what they were doing; they weren't alluding, they were being idiots.

They are idiots and cowards, no argument.

As for the bible... well, you shouldn't assert things like that without knowing your stuff. en.wikipedia.org...

Trust me, I know my stuff and that link does nothing to change what I said.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

Here is a question for you, when did "Anonymous" first use that phrase?

and

When did they legally copyright it?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Just want to remind everyone that Anon has no political leanings or anything of that nature. It, literally, is always "For the Lulz". They will attack anyone, right/left, religious/atheist, US/foreign, if it will produce amusement and create e-drama.
Sure they occasionally focus on a controversial group or topic now and again, but you check on their activities on a regular day and it's the autopsy photos of a girl who commited suicide posted on her parents facebook or calling the principle and teachers of the school that some kid who murdered a kitten on youtube attends and telling them that he's a serial killer.
They don't have any interest in grand causes, despite how Project Chanology may appear. So don't take them to seriously and don't bother with the whole "harnessing they're power" stuff. As melodramatic as this will sound, they're sort of like a hurricane, they roll in and proceed to do whatever they feel regardless of whether its positive or negative. As long as lulz are generated, they don't care.
So its best to just avoid them and ignore them. Because praising or condeming their actions just draws their attention, and we all see how that turns out.
Leave the internet's version of a collective sociopath to it's own devices.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join