It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Full Page advertisement before ATS Loads

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
This is the first time I have encountered this sort of advertisement with ATS. I didn't get the name of the ad, although I will most definitely be looking for it to appear again. I do not mind the ads on the website, but this is an invasive type of advertising that I do not feel is appropriate for ATS. I have tolerated (barely) the advertisement at the top of ATS that when your mouse even comes close to it, it enlarges itself until you click the close button, which is located on top of the original ad, often causing the damn thing to enlarge itself again. Both of these are invasive measures of advertising that I find very detracting to ATS.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I have not seen the ad you are describing. I wonder if it has to do with ATS or maybe an "add-on" to your browser.

Regardless, once you get to "bronze", I believe that the ads go away, except for the ones on the front page.

--airspoon

Edited to add: Here is a flag to get you 9/20 the way to "Bronze" membership.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Its no add-on to my browser. I use google chrome, and refuse to install anything that mandates third party apps to be installed. It looked much like the full page ads you see when you try to visit cnet.com. It really bugs me because it forces you to look at it and deal with it, accidently click on the ad instead of the X and you just helped finance that stupid ads existence. I forgot about the lack of ads at bronze, alas, I have much to long to go before that is a viable solution to this problem.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ninthaxis

Get writing them threads!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Personally I would start using ad-blocking software if that happened to me. Their revenues may go down quite a lot if other people think like I do.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I don't generally use ad-blocking software for no reason in particular really. And I have grown accustomed to ignoring ads on websites. But when they jump in your face like that, I get irritated. I don't think ATS approves of advertisers that use such tactics which is why I brought it up to begin with. If this is fine by TPTB at ATS than there is nothing more that I can do about it.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Are you seeing these ads before you log in?

I haven't ever seen the ads you are speaking about.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I use a flash blocker, static ads are still served, but It requires à click to load flash content. That way you still support Ats and get rid of annoying flash ads.

That is what i do.

Godspeed.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sodakota

I have it so I am always logged into ATS unless I clear my cookies or log off manually.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The ad you are talking about is not the conspiracy chicks pop-over, is it?

I find It à bit annoying but its no big deal.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I actually saw this ad for the very first time earlier today....it's basically a full-page Ad that pops up BEFORE ATS loads, and then has the "skip ad" thing link at the upper right-hand corner. Very weird and annoying, I backed out of it before it could fully load though.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I did not see that ad... yet. On the other hand Ats is mostly always loaded on my computer.

I will do some testing tomorrow and let you know. Going to sleep now.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mpriebe81

That is exactly what I saw. Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I haven't seen it yet (using IE7), but I still get a laugh and a shiver when I see the "Bush/Clinton Haiti relief fund" banner though.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ninthaxis

I have the same ad popping up.

I've posted this in the issues thread as well.

I'm sure nothing will be done about it.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ninthaxis
reply to post by airspoon

Its no add-on to my browser. I use google chrome, and refuse to install anything that mandates third party apps to be installed. It looked much like the full page ads you see when you try to visit cnet.com. It really bugs me because it forces you to look at it and deal with it, accidently click on the ad instead of the X and you just helped finance that stupid ads existence. I forgot about the lack of ads at bronze, alas, I have much to long to go before that is a viable solution to this problem.

I'm a bronze contributor but I still see the ad so unfortunately that doesn't help either.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
you'll notice, much as the pop up on the home page, this will be ignored.

2nd line.

Hey I'm all about everyone making a profit but before ATS loads me up with ads, at least give me the option to subscribe to a premium service.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Yeah, it seems only certain people's concerns are cared about. I have seen ads pulled from ATS because of a member's concern, but that was before ATS went all commercial and mainstream. These days its probably anything to make a buck.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

I believe there are two different "bronze" levels. One for members over 2,000 posts and one for members with 200/200/200 (or it may be 300). I remeber reading that somewhere but can't find it now. Anyway, the "bronze" level from the 2,000 posts without the flags, still has the ads while the level with the flags and stars does away with the ads.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I'm on ATS a great deal (no kidding), and my account doesn't receive the typical ad-restrictions of high-contribution members.... and I'm not seeing this ad, never have.

Next time someone receives this ad, please send me (u2u) a screen shot, along with the page you were on prior to seeing the ad.

Thanks.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join