It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Reason For Censoring The Internet.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Best Reason For Censoring The Internet.

abcnews.go.com

The Florida seventh grader whose profanity-laced video prompted online death threats said today that she has no intentions of logging off the Internet, a decision that's backed by her parents.
Florida police investigate a case of extreme bullying online.

"I'm going to continue making my videos, I'm going to continue updating my Twitter and going on Stickam and stuff -- just going to be a little more careful with who sees what I'm doing," the girl told ABCNews.com. Because of her age she is identified here by her screen name "Jessi Slaughter" rather than her real name.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
gawker.com
www.cbsnews.com

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Sorry if the title is a little inflammatory, but this story has been around for a few days now and is really starting to bug me. An 11 year old girl, unsupervised and (more importantly) un-parented whips up an international hate campaign on the internet.

Here's one of the original youtube videos, please note this may get deleted by youtube as many others already have.

Also, please note: PROFANITY - LOTS OF IT.

www.youtube.com...

Sorry, couldn't embed here

Personally, I feel sorry for the girl - but as far as sympathy for the parents goes? They done goofed.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Consequences will never be the same!

. . . . Censoring the internet? What exactly does that entail? Do you mean that there should be some sort of authority that regulates whether or not an individual is responsible for their actions, especially children, and that they should be permitted to alter or delete any content online they deem not permissible?

OR do you mean just ta stop people like this from being allowed anywhere near flashing lights or sharp objects?
Gah . . . we shouldn't censor this stuff. we should celebrate it. I bet she's never gonna dun goof again, not on that moustaches watch.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Ser Plum

As I said, sorry if the title's a little misleading. I DO NOT think the internet should be censored, I do think children should be parented though. I'm guessing you're fairly up to date on this story and are aware of the "state" of her parents. (double facepalm).

Man, it just makes me sad inside how many stupid 11 year olds could potentially cause this much trouble without their parents even knowing, or trying to bother to know.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
WARNING!!!!!!- LANGUAGE

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

11 yearsold.
Sad.

I dont know who is more screwed in the head, her, or her father.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Common Good]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Yeah, I seen a little about it.

First off, this proves the truth about spare the rod spoil the child.

As for the parents, double bitch slaps are necessary.

I am all for freedom of speech, but would someone take responsibility for their actions and for the actions of their NARCISSISTIC children they create.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

I agree with you 100%. Kids will be kids, and it really is up to the parents ta make sure they don't *snip* up. The internet can be a big scary place for the uninitiated, and without some guidance it can be easy to be led astray.

I didn't mean to take you up in any serious manner 'bout the title, mayhaps I should've included a emoticon or something ta show I weren't serious? bah, nevermind.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by GAOTU789]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I never see mentioned that youtube has a 13 + age limit for signing up. I think we should look more at the parents of the girl to be honest, they let her use a webcam with strangers at the age of 11 and then get angry when their girl gets in trouble for something she shouldn't have been doing in the first place. This is more a case for parental control and discipline than censoring the internet.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
We have a term for girls like this in Northern Ireland, Melters.

As in your face melts off while your listening to her talk. I'm sure her parents are thoroughly embarassed that they allowed her to put her rant on, or rather that they didn't know. I did stupid stuff when I was that age, but I wouldn't have been that retarded to put it online.

As for the youtube hate comments? Those are a dime a dozen on that site. There are people who spew out racial hatred on the most innocent and mundane of videos. Like a disney cartoon clip will descend into a receital of Mein Kampf.

My advice, completely censor comments on youtube, or remove the comments section altogether. Whats the point of making comments on a site like that? It's either someone typing 'you got owned' 'fail' or some other irritating buzz word, or vulgar profanity. You're not going to change the world by writing something on there.

ATS has rules for comments and they are good ones at that, stops the whole thing ending up in two losers threatening each other over the internet, both knowing full well that nothing will ever come of it.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
My advice, completely censor comments on youtube, or remove the comments section altogether. Whats the point of making comments on a site like that? It's either someone typing 'you got owned' 'fail' or some other irritating buzz word, or vulgar profanity. You're not going to change the world by writing something on there.

ATS has rules for comments and they are good ones at that, stops the whole thing ending up in two losers threatening each other over the internet, both knowing full well that nothing will ever come of it.

Thing is ATS is a pretty "polite" community, especially by web-standards... as someone previously mentioned Youtube has a minimum age limit of 13 - obviously this is easy to bypass, but what the hell was going on with the parents???

If I had kids, they would only have web/computer access in the main living area and it would be easily viewable, no web-cams, massive net-nanny protection AND most importantly an active input and discussion from the parents - you know, not just saying "No" you can't look at that, but taking an interest in what they're doing. Parenting with children that go online shouldn't just be about what they can't look at or do, it should also be about encouraging them to find interesting things they can learn from... there's usually a few interesting threads on science/nature/earth most weeks that I'd want to share with (my hypothetical) children.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

That was hilarious.
Goes to show, be carefull what you do online.

[Edit to add] The more she posts videos and says stuff like this the more attention she's going to get. Negative attention that is. Best thing to do would be to just do nothing and let time whipe the plate clean. She's not going to gain anything if she posts any kind of video.

[edit on 26/7/2010 by PsykoOps]

join