It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ship in the Bay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I've seen a lot of RN ships in the bay where I live, but never anything like this.

It looks kind of stealthy, and would appear to be a comms ship or surveillance ship.

It was flying the red ensign, so definitely RN, but what is it?

Any help or info much appreciated

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/775ff9c0cb05.jpg[/atsimg]

Slightly chopped off there - full image:
media.abovetopsecret.com...&action=view&id=108499

my photo's and then ship - just click to open

[edit on 21/7/2010 by budski]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
It looks like Rod Stuarts Private Boat!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Kudos for getting a photo of that. What did the engine sound like?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMadHatter

No engine noise from approx 400 yards, with wind blowing towards me.

It sat in the bay from early afternoon yesterday, to early this morning, then moved off at a reasonable rate - again, no engine noise.

Pic taken with canon eos 1000d, using 70-300mm lens.

Uploading pics to photobucket, and will post link when done.

s487.photobucket.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Hi Budski,

Just by the amount of glass I would guess it's a private super yatch. The huge area at the back suggests liesure rather than a naval purpose. The amount of radars is not unusual for a transatlantic super yatch.

I've tried matching it on Tinwikki but to no avail.

Peace!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by The Wave

It was flying a navy ensign is the problem - can't see it in the pics, but was defintely there.

Also, there's a RN number on the back right near the stern, and the flat grey finich kind of gives it awat as well.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Hi Budski,

I'm not au fait with naval protocol so really can't help. Whatever, it's a beautiful ship.

Peace!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
what bay? tampa bay, chesapeake vay, san francisco bay..?? which bay? whats RN? what is a RN? where is it?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Hi budski,

Just checked -according to Wiki

Many in the Admiralty felt that the Royal Navy's use of three separate ensigns (i.e., the red, white, and blue) was outdated and confusing. Many also felt that steam merchantmen should be clearly distinguishable from warships. In July 1864, an order-in-council provided that the White Ensign was the ensign of the Royal Naval Service. The Blue Ensign was designated as the proper national colours for ships commanded by an officer of the Royal Naval Reserve, and (with an appropriate badge) as national colours for ships in government service. The Red Ensign was assigned to British merchantmen. This basic structure remains today.

And;

The Red Ensign is the correct flag to be worn as courtesy flag by foreign private vessels in United Kingdom waters.

Peace!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DOADOA

Mounts Bay, UK.

RN is royal navy.

There's a number on the side/back, but hard to make it out because of the angle.

We get naval vessels here all the time, either visiting or supporting coastguard operations/fisheries protection/anti-smuggling etc

The number makes it a good guess for navy vessel, as does the colour.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I have to agree that your pic is probably a private yacht. Note the small heli on the upper deck.

Based on its design, it could be from Devonport Yachts and the ensign usage could be linked to Devonports long History with the Royal Navy. It could also be owned by someone from Babcock Marine who Acquired Devonport last year. Babcock is a leading builder for the Royal Navyl.

www.babcock.co.uk...

Devonport Yachts build large superyachts and luxury motor yachts in England. The company is part of a tradition of boat building at the Devonport Royal Docks which have been building and supporting The British Royal Navy for over three hundred years. Devonport have turned their experience and expertise towards designing, developing and building superyachts for sale. Devonport Yachts and Devonport Royal Dockyard are now part of the Babcock Marine Division of Babcock International Group which provides them with exceptional financial stability.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Hi,

Think I might have found it for you - if not the same a sister ship -

www.megayachts.org...

A little more info from Wiki

en.wikipedia.org...(yacht)

Note the statement that the project number (9906) is painted on the hull in military style.....

Regarding the red ensign - it will either be the UK Red Ensign (courtesy flag) or possibly the Cayman Island Ensign as that is where it is registered. I suspect the former.

Wonder why I never took up software engineering (with MS)!

Peace!

[edit on 21-7-2010 by The Wave]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

That looks like the fella

Paint job could be just because it was a sea trial, and not yet ready for commission.

I think that clears that one up - good job mate

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Hi budski.

A pleasure. Took a while but.....

Peace!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

really great work mate.

Thanks again.

It still looks VERY military, even with the paint job on the Lurssen site - perhaps even a little stealthy.

Regardless - impressive stuff

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Hi budski,

From my second link;

The Skat is a luxury yacht built by Lürssen of Bremen, Germany as project 9906, a number prominently displayed on the hull in a font matching that of military vessels. The project started in November 1999 and the yacht launched in 2001.

The owner is Charles Simonyi, a former Software Engineer from Microsoft and the fifth space tourist. The yacht is the 64th-largest in the world with a length of 71 meters (233 feet).

Certainly not under trials - I just think he's into a miliary approach.....maybe taking the p......???

Peace!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
looks a bit like one of them there Littoral combat ships

www.gdcanada.com...

img76.imageshack.us...

way kewl thanks for sharing

I know a guy wi an old WWII jeep he painted it with the original olive drab with the white star. looks like it came out of an old movie!

[edit on 21-7-2010 by works4dhs]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by works4dhs

It has a merchant ensign flying not a rn ensign .....which is white with red cross and union flag in corner

top topics

join