It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask An Atheist Anything

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ccsct203

The Jesus i know is not into that fearful crap!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Feel free to ask anything. Thanks for your time and have a great day.

Answer this:

1) DNA is not merely a molecule with a pattern; it is a code, a language, and an information storage mechanism.
2) All codes are created by a conscious mind; there is no natural process known to science that creates coded information.
3) Therefore DNA was designed by a mind.

If you can provide an empirical example of a code or language that occurs naturally, you've toppled my proof. All you need is one.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Here's a question:

Why are you infatuated with men?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCDAVECLARKE
reply to post by ccsct203

The Jesus i know is not into that fearful crap!

Which jesus do you know,? after all there were apparently quite a few of them hanging about the place in the first century.

Where did you meet this guy ? Do you hang out together ? Where and when was he born ?

[edit on 14-7-2010 by The Djin]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Feel free to ask anything. Thanks for your time and have a great day.

Answer this:

1) DNA is not merely a molecule with a pattern; it is a code, a language, and an information storage mechanism.
2) All codes are created by a conscious mind; there is no natural process known to science that creates coded information.
3) Therefore DNA was designed by a mind.

If you can provide an empirical example of a code or language that occurs naturally, you've toppled my proof. All you need is one.

Just because "science" doesn't know how something works yet does not mean "God did it". That's a huge, and illogical, leap to make.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

If the question was open to all atheists....Probably because human beings don't normally shape societies, fight wars, blow themselves up, stone people to death etc over belief in Pokemon.

Excellent response, no doubt at some point the apologists will predictably make themselves look foolish by raising the subject of dictators that happen to be atheists .

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
I really have only one question to ask. Have you examined every possible possibility before you chose the belief system of Atheism?

I mean, you have to admit to the fact that being an atheist is relative to what you believe to be true. Its all based on a relativism and therefore inconclusive.

Philosophically speaking, it would make batter sense for you to hold no stance (not even atheism) as a final and lasting choice versus something that is relative.

Have you examined every possible possibility before you chose your belief system? Has every Christian on this site studied Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Sikhism, Hinduism, the Greek Gods, the Viking Gods, the thousands of tribal beliefs around the world etc etc and then come to the conclusion that Christianity was the religion for them? I very much doubt it.

Presumably you hold "no stance" on the existence of Thor or Zeus or a giant pink, invisible hippopotamus from the plant Venus sitting in the clouds watching over us? Or do you disbelieve the existence of these "deities"?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Wow you seem really angry.
He's an atheist, calm down, you don't need to attack him for talking about it.
And hell, he's been alot more polite than many of the people in this thread.

How does one "sound" angry in text???

He requested people to ask questions...questions to an atheist...and that is what I did.

How is that viewed as angry???

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
With all of those questions you just posted you must obviously know Jesus better than he does! Pray tell...

Yet another example of the arrogance that comes from the athiests who (of course) know best.

I happen to be one of those lifelong Atheists who took the time to actually use my God given common sense to realize I was nothing but a dumbed down tool of the religion known as "science".

Have fun but dont be too sure of yourselves...Afterall you probably dont even know where your Richard Dawkins "God Delusion" reference book is loaned out to.

Im done...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Namaste1001

Atheism, in a broad sense, is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[2] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[4] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.

For me it means "There is no Omnipotent creator or deities."

In Western culture, atheists are frequently assumed to be exclusively irreligious or unspiritual.[15] However, atheism also figures in certain religious and spiritual belief systems, such as Jainism, some forms of Buddhism that do not advocate belief in gods,[16] and Hinduism that holds atheism to be valid but difficult to follow spiritually

Even religion's themselves disclose their inevitable disagreement's by way of a form of atheistic character assumption's.
A none tutored realistic approach for any of these allegation's ot presumption's, one would have to be totally free from religion or belief system's to know the benefit's of "Self existence" not some bible thump-er in a pulpit or other one's that have to knock on your door to give you the "Good News" spiel.

en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks OP for the thread, and for you out there that think that we are know it alls? Give me a "Polite Break!!" for if you believe that, your even more delusional than the onset of religion's.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ptmckiou

Most of my "proof" stems from the study of quantum physics. There are several books on the subject and even the documentary, "What the Bleep do We Know" was based on the research being done in the quantum physic realm.

That particular movie attempts to use the mysteries of quantum physics to usher in all sorts of new age hogwash. That movie teaches nothing about quantum physics and anyone who claims to understand quantum physics most surely doesn't.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Djin
reply to post by justwokeup

If the question was open to all atheists....Probably because human beings don't normally shape societies, fight wars, blow themselves up, stone people to death etc over belief in Pokemon.

Excellent response, no doubt at some point the apologists will predictably make themselves look foolish by raising the subject of dictators that happen to be atheists .

Just before the inevitable happens (if it hasn't already, I haven't read the whole thread yet);

I'd like to point out that no war in history has ever been fought in the name of atheism. Whether Hitler or Stalin were atheists or not (and it is certainly debatable, there is strong evidence that Hitler was a Roman Catholic for example) - it is irrelevant because there is zero evidence that the actions of those individuals were motivated by their alleged lack of belief in a deity.

Wars motivated by religion on the other hand...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

Why do people kill each other?

Simple.
Because people are primates.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by eight bits
True enough. But atheism is the belief in the proposition that no god exists. Assent to that does require belief.

No. Non-belief is not a belief. Taking a position that goblins and fairies do not exist is not a belief either. It's a certitude formed on the lack of evidence.

True enough. But then if you take a different position, and you can't back up your claim any better than the first person did, then where is the injustice in treating both of you the same?

As an atheist I have no claim to back up.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by hippomchippo

Wow you seem really angry.
He's an atheist, calm down, you don't need to attack him for talking about it.
And hell, he's been alot more polite than many of the people in this thread.

How does one "sound" angry in text???

He requested people to ask questions...questions to an atheist...and that is what I did.

How is that viewed as angry???

By asking ridiculous questions that are meant to ridicule.
Do you want a cookie? Seriously?
Grow up...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jenmckin
I have not seen that here...but if you keep a circle of friends around you that share your beliefs, have you seen this among them? Or is it just my luck to find the snobby atheists? rofl

I only see snobby atheists online. The atheists I know in person generally don't discuss theology. Conversely, I found that once people find out you're an atheist they tend to be rather snobby and bigoted. I do live in "the bible belt" though and this may tip the scale.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Here's a quickie for ya Lurch:

If a person holds a belief system that includes, say, multi-dimensional beings or space aliens who created or seeded life here on earth, and that perhaps even that our planet or universe was orchestrated by said beings...

...is that person an atheist?

This isn't me per se, but I imagine there's many of our frinds on ATS that might fall into this grey zone of religion.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hieron
Is there morality? If so, why? And how do we judge an act as moral?

All cultures have arbitrary morality. Morals are derived from social contract and are acted on accordingly.

So according to your beliefs, those cultures who killed, tortured, and sometimes ate their enemies were doing good as long as they saw it as such? Arguably from an ecological standpoint the Polynesian tribes who practiced cannibalism were making use of scarce resources and behaving in a good manner, from a certain point of view but was it moral? Without a higher moral authority potentially all is acceptable and good. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for the opportunity to ask questions.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ccsct203
Do you not believe in God/Jesus because you searched for Him and read His word and never found Him or because you never cared to search for Him and you don't really care one way or the other?

I found no evidence to support the stories of the bible and found many contradictions and serious inaccuracies within.

When (if) you stand at the judgement seat before Jesus, just before you are sent to hell for eternity, and He says "Why didn't you believe in Me" what will you say?

I might ask why I had to wait until death for convincing evidence of his existence, and why his book was so completely errant and ineffective at conveying this evidence.

And are you practicing what you will say at that day?

Absolutely not.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

I have a question.

considering what we do/don't know about the universe, do you consider human beings an adaptation of the universe? more precisely, do you consider human beings of the same essence of the eagle nebula?

If so, do you consider human being's ability to understand this an accident (by chance of natural selective processes) Or do you think the eagle nebula has a form of intelligence (order)

If not on the latter, where does intelligence come from? and if it is random, how can there be objectivity?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join