It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two things America got right, cars and freedom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
After I saw this commercial tonight, my stomach churned just a little bit.

I immediately asked myself, have we really gotten either of those right?

The auto industry has been in decline for years, with the bailout being just a tip of the iceberg of wrong that is the American auto industry.

Then theres freedom.

Not too many people on these boards will echo the sentiments that America has gotten freedom right. Maybe we did in principle, but that hasn't been true in practice.

Just in our "recent" history we denied freedom and equality to women, blacks, and gays. In just the past 10 years there have been an ever increasing assault of the freedoms we take for granted so often.

From Patriot Acts, to illegal wiretapping programs. From being arrested for photography to invasive searches and 8 year olds on terror lists. Theres no shortage of restrictions and qualifications on our freedoms.

I'd say by the fact that the average American will buy up that commercial, and get a nice flag sticker to stick on their bumper goes to show that the only thing we've seemed to have gotten right is propaganda.

What do you think, do you think America got these 2 things right?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I think this ad has already been talked about.

Another thing America got right was Women Rights. Their right to wear whatever they like especially on hot summer days at the beach.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Freedom and cars. Hmmm. I'd say they both have one thing in common, the illusion of being good. The cars look great, at least the classics do, but underneath that beautiful exterior lies supsension akin to vats of treacle, the power to weight ratio of a wardrobe and the agility of Stephen Hawking. Manufacturing wise (which I think was more your point), the US did a bang up job, and it's a shame how things turned out. Same with the freedom, great idea, looks good from the outside, but in practice a bit of a con. Started off with a great idea, but that too fell apart. The motor industry's a little different though, the US firms were outperformed by foreign competitors, the freedom was lost to some of it's own people.

In the UK we got the cars right, but our freedom is monitored so closely that our little island is starting to become a giant Alcatraz...

As Mitch Benn said on the radio recently, there is a place where you can be truly free, live your life as you want to, do as you wish. It's called Somalia. Tough choice.

I think you're right, the US and the UK have got propaganda right on the button. As for their cars and freedom these days, crap. Except the Aston and Vette. Awesome, if only you could swap your freedom for one.

Sendran.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I think they missed the mark on that one. They were trying to stir up feelings of patriotism that would entice people to buy cars. In my opinion, they made something that was kind of offensive. And we got a lot more than two things right in this country, but that's not really the point of the commercial.

Basically it's just mindless drivel, not really worth talking about...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Another fine example of why most Americans believe they're free.

Because you have been told that, repeatedly, your entire lives.

The most basic form of mind control is repetition. And you have been absolutely hammered with the "free country" propaganda.

Try waking up in the morning and doing what you want, instead of going to "work" and see how long your "freedom" lasts.

It's only a "free country" as long as you do what you're told.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
UGH, I absolutely despise this commercial!!!
Cars and freedom, gag me with a friggin' spoon....what a crock.

Come on up to Detroit and see just how great those cars are selling right now, lol. On second thought, do NOT come up to the rust belt if you can avoid it.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I think the one thing America got right, something no other nation has done in History, was to kick out the monarch (dictator) and put all its individual citizens, in principle, free under God. By all appearances that's coming to an end.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
What is tragically ironic about that commercial is that few things have been used more often to take away Americans' freedom than the automobile.

From unconstitutional searches and checkpoints, a cop with a quota to meet pulling you over for no reason, insurance rates and surcharges, moving and parking violations, traffic jams, searching endlessly for parking and paying a mint for parking, auto repairs, gas prices, pollution, unaffordable car payments, deadly accidents and all the other wonderful things associated with automobiles, the automobile has contributed in destroying freedom like no other vehicle has.

Once you get into that automobile, you make yourself a moving target for the police state. Invasion of your privacy and your private property began with the automobile. And obviously, it has ended there. Enjoy your "freedom" folks.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

For all our flaws...

We are still freer than any other people in the World. Yes, even over our European friends.

And while in the 80-00's our cars sucked the big one.. they were still the largest producing car companies, had the most sales, made the most money..

And I have to say, nothing beats 69 Camaro.

And even today, Ford is producing much better quality cars since it's reformation.. Chrysler is now owned by an Italian company, and GM doesn't deserve to be called American..

And if I could afford one, I'd buy a 2011 Jeep Cherokee today.. pretty sexy car.

But ya.. we have our flaws.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

You can't blame the "unconstitutional searches...invasion of your privacy and your private property" on the automobile. You blame it on those treasonous unconstitutional bastards who cleverly use the automobile to incrementally and covertly take away an individual's inherent rights and freedoms.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

69 Camaro, excellent choice, although my pick of the American motors would be the Dodge Charger, from the sixties not the blasphemous new one. As for the Cherokee, sorry mate, Discovery 3 beats it at every turn, but it is a nice looking motor I'll give you that!

Pleased to meet a fellow petrolhead.

Sendran.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Lmfao... Theyve got to be joking.. American made cars were crap.. And Ive got more freedom outside the u.s than I ever had there... Oh well at least the propaganda is good for a laugh at times..

new topics

top topics

join