It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Upsweep and Julia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Much has been said in the past about "The Bloop", a strange sound "recorded during summer, 1997 on the Equatorial Pacific Ocean autonomous hydrophone array"[1]

What I wasn't aware of until today, and does not appear to have been discussed so widely, are the other strange sounds that have been captured, including "The Upsweep" and "Julia", so I thought I'd start this thread to draw more attention to them and see what people have to say.

Here are the links for the sound file and spectrogram for these sounds:

The Upsweep
Julia

To me, "The Upsweep" sounds even more strange than the bloop, and the spectrogram looks pretty weird too.

The reason for bringing this up today, is I watched a YouTube video about this phenomenon by Brian Dunning, AKA the "debunkatron". Even he as a pretty hardline Skeptic ends up saying "I don't know yet" is the most appropriate answer, putting it into the true mystery realm that "True Believers", "Debunkers", and all in between can enjoy.

So, what do you think these are? My money is on as yet unidentified lifeforms, or military experiments, but there is the potential for all kinds of strange answers here.

The NOAA page on unidentified sounds also includes some others to enjoy:

Unidentified Sounds

[1] www.pmel.noaa.gov...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by harpsounds

Nice find, and I was unaware of this phenomenon occurring in 97.
The bloop sounds similar to either a huge pocket of gas being released from the bottom, or something that drops into the sea from above, like a uso maybe?
The spectrograph recording of the bloop looks to be 4 to 5 times the intensity of a Blue Whale. I know whales have a wide range of sounds, bellows and cries, and maybe some of these unexplained sounds could be a chorus of whale calls, where something made several of them make sounds at once. Who knows what kind of sea creatures are still undiscovered, and what size they may be. Perhaps it is some type of prehistoric mega whale.
The "upsweep" one sounds almost mechanized or machinelike to me.
The Julia recording sounds like a woman's voice underwater, guess that's where the name came from.

We have to include the possibility of military equip/technology as a source as well.
Thanks for the additional links too, cool stuff!

Peace

[edit on 12-7-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

join