It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools told 'no swimming in Ramadan' for Muslim pupils

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Schools told 'no swimming in Ramadan' for Muslim pupils

news.bbc.co.uk

Swimming lessons in some Staffordshire schools should stop during Ramadan to ensure Muslim pupils "do not swallow water", a council has suggested.

Stoke-on-Trent City Council has issued an 11-page Ramadan guide for schools to help pupils who may be fasting when the school year starts in September.

It said swimming was acceptable to Muslims but posed a high risk of swallowing water that may break a fast.

Islam requires Muslims to fast from dawn until dusk for one month per year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org
freethinker.co.uk[/ url]
[url=http://www.mcb.org.uk/media/letter151.php]www.mcb.org.uk

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
While I am sensitive to religious needs, I do think that sometimes these needs are “made up” and superfluous. They become an excuse for lethargy and inaction and become floundered in the extremes. Schools need to tread a fine line, but Councils and the Government need to become a bit more assertive in dictating what schooling is all about.

Hopefully with New Labour out-of-office things will change, although with the Conservative / Liberal policy of devolving education I wonder if there will be increased linkage between with schooling and religion (i.e. religious schools) and the associated migration to stupidity like this.

Regards

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
In that case, they might also want to take up issue with breathing
the air around them as that carries moisture. Moisture can also break
the fast as it carries water inside the body with each breath.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Hi paraphi,

You stated;

They become an excuse for lethargy and inaction and become floundered in the extremes.

Actually if there was lethargy and inaction that would be ok - instead TPTB are issuing guides, potentially closing swimming classes along with all the other 'active' directives that are there to secure a minoritie's requirement.

Wonder what happened to Middle England?

Peace!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I look at it like this: if you're not suppose to drink water and you're scared that you'll ingest water during a swim, DON'T GET IN THE WATER!

It's a real shame that this ban must affect non-Muslims so the Muslims won't feel discriminated against.

I've nothing more to add that would be viewed as civil because right now, my blood is boiling!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

LOL, if this true wouldnt all muslims be dead.
A human cannot go one month without water or something with water in it or they will dehydrate and die.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Dont you all get sick of muslim bashing?
I mean it's boring. This should be personal choice, it is not the business of the council, the school, the teachers, the newspapers or for that matter us.

change the record.

Tell me this, who are the people that will be paying the taxes when you are in your dottage to pay your pensions..or your nursing home fees ?

the children of today.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I doubt Christian students will be banned from swimming. I think it is a nice thing for schools to honor the religious practices of all the students. Muslims do not all obey the orders of harsh clerics. They laugh at them in private.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
erm swimming drains energy also, so its better off the muslims dont swim during ramadan.

i think this a good move to help the students, not only swallowing water but also saving energy to help them through the long summer days.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

This is pretty easy to bust. You do not rule over many the ideology of one.

End of story. Nothing more to say.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZuluChaka
reply to post by paraphi

A human cannot go one month without water or something with water in it or they will dehydrate and die.

The fast is from dusk to dawn. They get away from hunger by waking before sunrise and eating breakfast and they can eat after the sun sets, so really they're just missing out on lunch.

It doesn't make sense to me then again their entire religion doesn't make sense to me.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZuluChaka
reply to post by paraphi

It says "from dawn until dusk". Apparently nutritional requirements are met during the evening hours, ie - at night.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

Ah thanks for the info. So they can go swimming after dusk then?

What do they do about praying to Mecca when they are in school?

Edit: Because I put dawn instead of dusk.. OOPS!

[edit on 12-7-2010 by ZuluChaka]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ZuluChaka

I mean I dont mean to be rude..but did you read the posts prior,
why dont you ask a muslim brother or sister about praying ,
I am sure they wont bite . though try daylight hours for your own protection during Ramadan

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

the fasting is each day from dawn to dusk. They eat/drink after the sun goes down. It is done each day for 30 days. They don't go 1 month with nothing to eat or drink.

I visited Egypt in 2000 to see the pyramids, etc. While there they were observing Ramadan. On all the streets outside cafes and such they had a large number of tables and chairs set up and when a bell rang (all over the city I assume) then they could eat and people would fill up these areas to eat. Lots of beautiful Ramadan lanterns all around the city.

Our guide told us that when they went without food all day and was very hungry it give you more of an appreciation and gratitude to have something to eat. I tried it but only for one day and it was true.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dreampsi

Well I guess it is ok if they just allow the muslim kids not to swim during that time. Its ok as long as all the other non-muslim kids do get to swim.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by ZuluChaka]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

LOL, maybe you could reccomend to them the need to not breathe from Dawn until Dusk for a month. Seems to me that your logic is infallible.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I for one am concerned that we are not taking large enough steps to appease our Muslim "brothers" and "sisters"; I suggest that we also ban cooking during daylight hours, lest a passing Muslim inhales the odor (which of course is composed of tiny food particles) and inadvertently breaks his or her fast.

The penalty for not complying will of course be death by public stoning.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Muslim prophet loved swimming and often would swim with his kids and grandkids .

2pence

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dimethylmercury

yes good idea maybe some of the more rotund sitting around reading the daily mail could do with a good fast.

re the stoning

why dont the members of the EU read the footnote regarding the reintroduction of the death penalty..to the EU

The "footnote" in question, directly quoted, is as follows:

(a) Article 2(2) of the ECHR:

"Deprivation of life shall not be regarded as inflicted in contravention of this article
when it results from the use of force which is no more than absolutely necessary:

(a) in defence of any person from unlawful violence;
(b) in order to effect a lawful arrest or to prevent the escape of a person lawfully
detained;
(c) in action lawfully taken for the purpose of quelling a riot or insurrection."

(b) Article 2 of Protocol No 6 to the ECHR:

"A State may make provision in its law for the death penalty in respect of acts
committed in time of war or of imminent threat of war; such penalty shall be applied
only in the instances laid down in the law and in accordance with its provisions…"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join