It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official: Bahamas police catch 'Barefoot Bandit'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Official: Bahamas police catch 'Barefoot Bandit'

news.yahoo.com

NASSAU, Bahamas – Police in the Bahamas say they have caught the teenage U.S. fugitive known as the "Barefoot Bandit."

A police official says 19-year-old Colton Harris-Moore was arrested Sunday morning on the northern island of Eleuthera. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to speak publicly about the case.

The official said police expect to fly Harris-Moore within hours from Eleuthera to Nassau, the capital of the island chain off the Florida coast.

Island police have been searching for the wily fugitive since he allegedly crash-la
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
The Barefoot bandit has had a major cult following of fans online,

Colton Harris Moore age 19, has been on the run from the

police and FBI for 2 years now after escaping from a halfway

house back in 2008.

Since then he has ran up a long list of crimes he is suspected of

committing in the Washington state area, mostly breaking and

entering along with theft, he started leaving a signature at

some of the places he broke into during the night by drawing a bare foot on

the floor of stores, along with actually leaving

bare foot marks at the scene of his crimes.

His chart toppers include stealing a number of small planes and

then crashing landing them, he learned to fly planes through

flying simulation games. It is suspected that he even buzzed

the line of restricted air space at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

He was on the run in the Washington state area, until recently

when he took his crime spree across the country stealing vehicles along the

away and breaking into homes and businesses, last week he was suspected

of stealing a plane out of the mid-west and flying to the Bahamas, where he

crashed landed in shallow water, then began his crime spree of breaking

and entering and stealing there.

Officials in the Bahamas were on the hunt for him for the last week and

finally found him this morning.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related Read From July 7
www.foxnews.com...

[edit on 11-7-2010 by InvisibleObserver]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Glad to hear this,

Took them a while he must of been quite cunning but in the end, off to jail with you sir.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
NOOO!

This guy had a good run.

Hopefully he will get out again

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Well, maybe if he had shoes on he could have gotten away.

No really-

When you chose a life of crime, you must accept the possibility that you will get locked up for the rest of your days. If you are still felling bandit after that, by all means, cause hell.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I have to say I was actually rooting for him for awhile. I mean atleast he never physically hurt anyone. A rarity these days seems like like every other robber is killing or raping someone. Ah well maybe this guy will learn a lesson maybe not.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleObserver

Aw.

Well, 2 years is still better than no years - I don't condone his actions, but at the same time, in the spirit of living life and everything else be damned...he had a good run of it.

I wonder how long it will be before the movie trailers start showing up.

- Fry

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
There is something absolutely intriguing about this guy. I admire his cunning and his talents at learning things for himself.

He is certainly not afraid of a challenge. He is not beholden to the rules. He seems like a genuine free spirit.

How refreshing is that; especially is in this day and age when government tries to regulate and control the minutest aspect of our lives.

I would love to spend time talking with him to get his perspective on life. If all those talents are put to good use one day he could end up being one heck of a major contributor.

This guy is a hero to me. I just hope the "system" doesn't break his spirit.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
yes the guy is amazing, he just steals planes and $%, since he does have all the capability in the world of flying these things without offering no danger to other people

blahblah blah

deny ignorance?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
double post

delete

[edit on 11/7/10 by Faiol]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
This is hilarious. He manages to elude thousands of cops with the latest technology here in the US but then gets caught by some rinky dink British colonial police force.

+1 to the Royal Bahamas Police Force for proving that technology and numbers don't mean everything.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
This is hilarious. He manages to elude thousands of cops with the latest technology here in the US but then gets caught by some rinky dink British colonial police force.

+1 to the Royal Bahamas Police Force for proving that technology and numbers don't mean everything.

He crashed in shallow water next to a small island. How hard could it be to catch this wild coconut.
Shoot, a monkey could have caught this kid.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Still I'm sure the movie contract offers will soften the blow of any custodial time.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This guy was like a folk hero... I am somewhat saddened his capture. He did not hurt anyone. he learned how to fly a plane from a book. This guys a riot- he drew chalk footprints when he broke in to places.
I can't wait to watch the movie.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I guess since theres another thread, I'll post the same reply that I posted in the other one.

I wonder if anyone admiring this thief are the same people in the other thread saying thiefs should be shot.

I don't see this kid as admirable.

He did nothing for anyone but himself, he wasn't fighting a cause, or standing up for anyones rights. He was a criminal who was caught burglarizing houses and was sentenced to a halfway house. He escaped from there and continued to burglarize houses, steal cars and even planes.

And people admire this guy?

For what?

Why aren't you admiring the mexicans trying to steal a trailer that got shot by an 82 year old man? What they did was no different than this kid, yet on that thread, at least half are calling for the cold blooded murder of those people.

One thread admires thiefs who steal for their own personal gain, another calls for their murder.

I don't understand.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Aw man...I really liked this kid.

I was always looking forward to see what he was up to next. What an adventurer!

Maybe he can get rich off a book or movie deal. Who knows.

...learned to fly from simulator games? Wow...that takes a low-hanging, weighty brass pair...

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
There is something absolutely intriguing about this guy. I admire his cunning and his talents at learning things for himself.

He is certainly not afraid of a challenge. He is not beholden to the rules. He seems like a genuine free spirit.

How refreshing is that; especially is in this day and age when government tries to regulate and control the minutest aspect of our lives.

I would love to spend time talking with him to get his perspective on life. If all those talents are put to good use one day he could end up being one heck of a major contributor.

This guy is a hero to me. I just hope the "system" doesn't break his spirit.

I just had to reply to this.

Do you admire the 9/11 hijackers for "learning for themselves"? They use MS flight sim to learn how to fly planes.

Not afraid of a challenge? Free spirit? Refreshing?

The guy was a criminal, he broke into houses to steal stuff that he didn't think he had to work for. When he got caught, he felt like he didn't have to serve his time, while on the run he figured he would steal more things he didn't feel he had to earn, or work for.

He was the epitome of a coward. He refused to face up to responsibility for his actions, like a man, and ran and hid like cowards do.

His perspective on life? What that stealing is fine? Causing other pain so you can evade capture, and evade the consequences of your actions?

Yeah, thats refreshing.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Bummer. I really like this kid's style. He stuck it to the man and, he showed just how incompetent law enforcement really is.

I can't wait to read the book when it comes out.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Eh, I guess I might admire him if he stole a plane and flew to an impoverished country to feed people, but he was just stealing for the thrill. I think those that admire him actually envy the freedom from responsibility that his life represents. Discontent people will find some extremes attractive, much in the same way a married man might envy a ladies man.

Edit: and some like to root for "the bad guys".

[edit on 11-7-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
interesting

looks like any run of the mill nerd that gets bullied in school

people..... this is the future Batman!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join