It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The loss of individuality and the desire to connect

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
There seems to be a major contradiction in the world today. On the one hand we see the opposition to the big brother society by a significant group of citizens . On the other we see the masses flocking to join Facebook and subject themselves to all the tagging and monitoring that it entails.

As if that was not enough, the majority of people seem comfortable to make a constant flow of private data about themselves available to others.

The trend towards a social matrix on the web is quite concerning. Not so for the Facebook founder who sees it as being totally natural. My concern is best expressed by this extract from an article in the Financial Post.

About Facebook owner
"He’s the one who wanted to make it so that Facebook’s nearly 500 million users would be forced to share more of themselves with the outside world. He’s the one who believes that social norms are changing, that privacy is no longer the default setting coveted by Web users and that “a world that’s more open and connected is a better world.”

This kind of article has been echoed in major publications around the world.

My point is that before even stepping out to fight NWO, Big Brother, etc people should , as a first step, cut off from social networking sites.

It appears to me that social networking sites are not compatible with the idea of freedom and individuality. The more people want to connect, the more we move towards globalisation, one world and one idea.

Therefore it is not TPTB that are out to get us. It is more a case of us becoming TPTB and then setting off on a witchhunt against the free-thinking individuals.

Add to this , the inability of modern-day man and woman to find a bit of mental space, amid the instant messages popping up on screens and the texts and calls on the move. Without that space we cannot cultivate our unique individuality. We become a product.

Due to the fact that I do not belong to a social networking site, do not read tabloids, or watch reality TV, I already feel alienated. However it has its advantages. I seem to see things in a different way and I feel this indicates that I have got it right. Why? Simply because it is against human nature for many people to hold exactly the same view and this is what I tend to find around me.

Does anyone agree that the majority are losing their indviduality and becoming a product of the media ? Would you also agree that all this NWO and Globalisation thing is a direct consequence of the need of the masses to 'belong'

[edit on 8-7-2010 by crowdedskies]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

It appears to me that social networking sites are not compatible with the idea of freedom and individuality.
Freedom would mean people can network and socialize all they want...but have total control over who can access what information about them...I don't use those stupid websites anyway, problem solved.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I wonder what would happen if everyone collectively stopped using sites like Facebook. What kind of change would that make for the entire world? Would certain people in positions of power be alarmed? Would they be sweating because now they aren't able to discern who is what? Obviously it would never happen but would we have more tangible interpersonal relationships as a result?
thanks for the critical thinking

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I think that the trend for Social Networking is driven by the sheep / herd mentality of most who do something because everyone else does. They then look for 'benefits' and ways to hustify why it is good to be part of....... I've always thought that if you justify a decision then that decision was NOT thought through very well initially.
I also think that most who are part of this (future) marketing database oopps sorry social network do not realise that once they are on and all their data and info is on then they are part of the Matrix.

I have chosen NOT to be part of any network, with the exception of this one of course because I am comfortable with being with myself and I do not need to be in contact all the time..... quite the opposite actually...

regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Endtime Warrior
I wonder what would happen if everyone collectively stopped using sites like Facebook. What kind of change would that make for the entire world? Would certain people in positions of power be alarmed? Would they be sweating because now they aren't able to discern who is what? Obviously it would never happen but would we have more tangible interpersonal relationships as a result?

I think I am jumping the gun. The real impact of these social networking sites will be felt at some point in the future. By then you may see a kind of 'common purpose' developing. In fact already Facebook and Bebo have been used to organise very big events.

I suppose the point I am making is that we are seeing the birth of a new world ; a one-world. And that is supposed to be our nightmare !!!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Well, I'm basically a loner with over a hundred friends on facebook
As in, I post real world stuff daily and rarely get responses. Then I look at some of my fb friends mindless one sentence comments and see a ton of likes and comments. So I think that fb mostly just promotes the sheep mentality. People don't think it's cool to talk about real political, economic, or environmental issues. So, I actually wonder sometimes why I'm even on there anymore. I'm well aware that the government and organizations are data mining, but aren't they always? Isn't it pretty much impossible to be totally secure and unhackable? It's the same mentality I have for my vehicle and house. I junk them up and keep valuables mixed in between, and keep the doors unlocked. People don't mess with unlocked, junked up places.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by crowdedskies

I think I am jumping the gun. The real impact of these social networking sites will be felt at some point in the future. By then you may see a kind of 'common purpose' developing. In fact already Facebook and Bebo have been used to organise very big events.

I suppose the point I am making is that we are seeing the birth of a new world ; a one-world. And that is supposed to be our nightmare !!!

Well nightmare or not, its gonna happen, no question. And they won't force it on us, we're gonna ask for it. Perhaps these sites help condition us to accept a global unification? Surely can't hurt can it??

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
I think that the trend for Social Networking is driven by the sheep / herd mentality of most who do something because everyone else does.

I also think that most who are part of this (future) marketing database oopps sorry social network do not realise that once they are on and all their data and info is on then they are part of the Matrix.

I have chosen NOT to be part of any network, with the exception of this one of course b

regards

PurpleDOG UK

Thanks for the comments. The sheep mentality and the need to belong is what leads us to the one-world scenario.

Yes the data thing is the most concerning.
As ATS is a forum for people with a view, I would think that individuality is paramount.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I agree with you..... I think that facebook and the rest are for a simple POP culture brain where facts and deeper thought are not welcome..

A quick quip here, a dis there, a joke about something and that's what social networking is about !!!! It's about control and distraction and short attention spans..

Any events organised are usually sports / entertainment / party / protest with little concensus and people attend becuase everyone else is............

It's a little SAD really........

Say bye to the Sheeple and go and find yourselves, That's what I suggest....

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

[
Well nightmare or not, its gonna happen, no question. And they won't force it on us, we're gonna ask for it. Perhaps these sites help condition us to accept a global unification? Surely can't hurt can it??

It will hurt unless you relinquish your individuality. Yes, the masses are asking for it which is why I sometime go easy on TPTB.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Well, I'm basically a loner with over a hundred friends on facebook
As in, I post real world stuff daily and rarely get responses. Then I look at some of my fb friends mindless one sentence comments and see a ton of likes and comments. So I think that fb mostly just promotes the sheep mentality. People don't think it's cool to talk about real political, economic, or environmental issues. So, I actually wonder sometimes why I'm even on there anymore. I'm well aware that the government and organizations are data mining, but aren't they always? Isn't it pretty much impossible to be totally secure and unhackable? It's the same mentality I have for my vehicle and house. I junk them up and keep valuables mixed in between, and keep the doors unlocked. People don't mess with unlocked, junked up places.

Thanks for the honesty. It is good to see a FB member who realises that there is nothing positive coming out of FB.

link   
Back on topic! :

Does anyone agree that the majority are losing their indviduality and becoming a product of the media ? Would you also agree that all this NWO and Globalisation thing is a direct consequence of the need of the masses to 'belong'

Yes, agree 100% I intuitively knew as a child that the tele was the best way to manipulate people's thought processes. It's the same for site's like facebook and practically any media. To be honest, the same could be said for sites like ATS as well, but to a lesser extent of course. We're all somewhat influenced by our environment, and the stimuli we are surrounded by. Most people choose to remain within a very small bubble of comfort. To get out of the regular box means you are ostracized by the rest, and looked at as wrong or weird or whatever. I choose to crack jokes when other people single me out. It's the easiest way to either make the oppressors look like idiots, else have them come around to your individuality.

Yes, I agree with your last statement. It seems the world has been engineered to seem ( or actually be!) a scary place, so most people have strong yearnings for the comfort of the hive. It's actually instinctual to be social, and only a few people are schizoid naturally. I do think that it's more of an issue lately. It's very bizarre because you think back to the 1950's and how mass conformed people were then. In the 1960's-70's, you had the hippie movement and creativity/individuality poured out. I feel as if TPTB have used a limited section of our creative/individual potential and blasted that everywhere to make it seem as if people have choices and are being real/original. I think it's all a farce. Or it could just be that we're the ones who are pushing the envelope.

link   
reply to post by crowdedskies

Right, and I see the point you were trying to make all along. Once we lose our individuality all bets are off then.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Back on topic! :

Y

Yes, I agree with your last statement. It seems the world has been engineered to seem ( or actually be!) a scary place, so most people have strong yearnings for the comfort of the hive. It's actually instinctual to be social, and only a few people are schizoid naturally. I do think that it's more of an issue lately. It's very bizarre because you think back to the 1950's and how mass conformed people were then. In the 1960's-70's, you had the hippie movement and creativity/individuality poured out. I feel as if TPTB have used a limited section of our creative/individual potential and blasted that everywhere to make it seem as if people have choices and are being real/original. I think it's all a farce. Or it could just be that we're the ones who are pushing the envelope.

You are correct to reming everyone that this is not new. As you say in the 50s and 60s there was indeed mass conformity.

What is different however is how everything can happen so fast and so world-wide. In the old days that mass conformity might be localised , at most to national level. Therefore different countries could cultivate different ideologies , etc.

Now with the internet,somebody from say Brazil will be bonding with someone from UK and someone from Australia. In the end it becomes the one-world thing. Next thing you know , politicians bond (which they are doing already : G20, G8 , Bildererg)

Everything is made to look good and show us how much choice we have. Great social world , etc. But in reality we have simply become insatiable consumers, so busy with our gadgets that what goes on does not matter anymore.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

A one-world community is happening, and will continue to become more integrated unless civilization collapses in the process. This should actually be welcomed. It's a natural progression for humanity and a necessity for global stability. The problem is government, not community. The problem is a closed system which oppresses and deceives.

We used to be tribal people, then developed villages, then towns, cities, states, city-states, countries. Now we're creating unions of countries, and next will most certainly be a world community/order. It's all good, actually, except the old ways of thinking are still in power.

I'm not so sure that people are all too limited in capabilities of expressing creativity/individuality, but they just choose the easier route of mass conformity usually. It's truly up to the people how this integration process unfolds. This is why we must let the people be aware of what's going on behind the scenes, and what their options truly are. It's the only real reason I still post stuff on fb. Slowly, but surely, people are beginning to question things. It's just that the system is layered with firewalls to keep the people confused and not able to see the forest from the trees. They're simply several levels behind those who are aware. We must remain persistent!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

A one-world community is happening, and will continue to become more integrated unless civilization collapses in the process. This should actually be welcomed. It's a natural progression for humanity and a necessity for global stability. The problem is government, not community. The problem is a closed system which oppresses and deceives.

I agree . The problem is government , which is why we need many countries with own independent government. This way, it is possible to observe how different political systems work and learn from each other.

Bad government stems from human nature. "We are all equal , but some are more equal" as the saying goes. Now if you have one world and one government, then there is nowhere to run.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
When the internet first started it was more of a tool I think. It was something to "go to" for some things, then go on with life. But now the internet is more lively than life itself for a surprising number of people, and it's something that probably creeps up on people. Text is more real than talking with people in person. It used to be 90% life and 10% internet, now that's getting reversed. Not everyone of course, but it's a trend that will continue I'm sure.

Cyber bullying for example wouldn't be that big of an issue, except when people forget that the internet is more akin to a toy than what it is sometimes made out to be. I find it sort of interesting. Early days of the internet, no one would have cared, they'd turn off the computer. Now people forget that they have that option. Or when people forget that nothing really is "real" over their computer, the people in your immediate surroundings are real. Everyone is different but personally I wouldn't want to keep in contact with most people from high school when 99% of the connection would be done through technology, there's no point.

Another thing is like you mentioned, trying to become a brand or trying to become popular. It really is an oddity. On youtube especially it seems to be getting worse, since you can make money if you're popular enough.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by ghaleon12]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
When the internet first started it was more of a tool I think. It was something to "go to" for some things, then go on with life. But now the internet is more lively than life itself for a surprising number of people, and it's something that probably creeps up on people.

Early days of the internet, no one would have cared, they'd turn off the computer. Now people forget that they have that option. Or when people forget that nothing really is "real" over their computer, the people in your immediate surroundings are real. Everyone is different but personally I wouldn't want to keep in contact with most people from high school when 99% of the connection would be done through technology, there's no point.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by ghaleon12]

This is true. We need to 'plug in' everyday or else we get withdrawal symptoms. The internet bekons us and gets us to link with things and people that have absolute no relevance to our own environment. Like this keeping in touch with ex pupils at schools etc.

I suppose that in some way it is like TV. Here we sit and what news which in truth rarely affects us . Or else we live vicariously through the life of TV characters. I never watch TV but the internet has taken its place.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
The gift life comes with the gift of free will -

To either live with the unstability and uncertainties of freedom and all that it entails...

..or to live with the presumed security of enslavement that it supposedly offers.

Every human makes a choice, either conciously or subconciously. No man is a sheep.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Meh! I re-activated my Facebook account on Independence Day (July 4th), thinking I would `get what I deserved`. You know what? All I got was the strength to expose my true identity through photos to strangers and add cousins who didn't know I existed!

Sadly, Facebook is just another tool for addictive behavior, a quick fix to `connect` with those who do not seem to care -- if one's ego has once been private for a long time or made public recently. Maybe we are all better off just logging off the internet and realize once and for all that we are just social monkeys.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join