It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why would E.Ts from other starsystems use astronomical names derived from earth?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Why would "Arcturians" refer to themselves as such, when that is an earthly designation given to the star?

Same with:

"Pleidian"
"Venusian" (Surely if there are in fact intelligent lifeforms on Venus as some claim to be, they would refer to themselves differently, no?)
People that claim to be "from Andromeda"
ETC.

What I'm getting at, you have several members here that believe themselves E.T, or in contact with beings from other star systems. Well, surely us Earthlings haven't established the universal standard on naming such star systems, so what do these beings then call them? I'm curious.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I don't think it matters what they call their systems/planets.

Being more advanced than us (because they would have the ability to get here), then they would use OUR terms so we would understand what they're talking about...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
To play devil's advocate, it wouldn't be too difficult for them to figure out what Earthlings call the various stars and constellations and heavenly bodies. Just for the sake of simplicity, they would probably use our terms.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I think it would be odd that they would group and categorize exactly the same way we do. So what we define as a group system, they would as well. Everytime.

It is one of those little things that makes me not a believer. Assumption of categorization, grouping and chunking being somehow the same is just not that realistic.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

That's what I'm getting at.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 7-7-2010 by Zeta Reticulan]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
To begin with, you have to understand that the languages we use, are based on the cosmic ones, however our symbols are not like theirs, for the most part, theirs are more hyroghlyphics.

Phoentically, however, they still use what is akin to our vowels and consenants. Ple'o'sha'n, is pleiadian, andromedan, pleaides, sirius and tauren share a common understanding and there are relationships between some of these langauges. Here, phoenician, sanskrit, hewbrew, latin, and even lakota sioux and many native languages all have et backgrounds, this is actually the area that several friends whose energies I was drawn to when searching for answers, connected. Several of them can write and understand the otehr language, one cant write it, it doesnt come, the words, but she could translate, these are soul memories.

Another took the things I had saved, from my friends, someone visiting for a week last July, who had experiences and while here as well, and he said, this is sung like a hymne and proceeded to sing it to me.

Sometimes when my friend writes, the words come, but I don't know where to put the inflections always, aslso don't know what I'm saying, but he answers me direct.

Example is: Lo' je' sa'ma' ta'os' ma'istra' an'dro' me' zh'o'

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Chunking is not based in language - it is based on your brain's architecture. Non-Earth intelligence all have the same basic brain architecture?!? That seems unlikely.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I am afraid the truth of the matter will turn out that its simply many people with delusions and a strong imagination who seem to believe these things...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SaosinEngaged

Why would "Arcturians" refer to themselves as such, when
that is an earthly designation given to the star?

Let's say you're a native english speaker from america. And let's say you were to learn sign language. When speaking with someone who only signed and didn't speak english, when telling them where you're from, would you speak the english word for your country or would you use the sign for it?

Why should an alien learning to speak english do any differently?

what do these beings then call them?

Why assume these beings have a spoken language? What if they're, for example...telepathic? What kind of place "name" do you expect them to use for their place of origin?

A telepathic race would not have any need to associate sounds to ideas, any more than someone who signs does.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SaosinEngaged

Mabey the languages spoken current as well as ancient have connections to the stars that 1 may not know of..... Like we call our star a star is this what all the universe calles them???

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kadyr80
I am afraid the truth of the matter will turn out that its simply many people with delusions and a strong imagination who seem to believe these things...

Let me say that I am willing to entertain that a group could use our cultural-psychological hooks to mess with people to help control them.

Which is me saying, that if there are non-earth visitors, and they are actually in contact with people/governments, the fact that they use our perspective and cultural psychology on us is a sign that they are lying / managing us.

See, strong imaginations aren't just reserved for the alien beleivers. I'm willing to entertain the idea that there is a grain of truth in there for long enough.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Example is: Lo' je' sa'ma' ta'os' ma'istra' an'dro' me' zh'o'

That sure sounds authentic.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
This is a great post. My thought is that these ETs came to our planet in the past and listed what these stars are called ie their homes...just as Orion's belt is described as the the home star system for several ETs...

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Well.......since we come from advance races, why does this seem absurd to you?

Did you assume that Earthlings being from one of the younest planets to begin with, created technology and languages on their own????

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I think they would call themselves that so it would be easier to say for us humans. How do we even know if we can even call them what they call their self's in their language?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Because thats the pattern established in science fiction, and that's what the idea of aliens among us is, science fiction. There is so much wrong with the whole idea, it's ridiculous. People believe all sorts of charming fictions, from traditional religions, fairies, and of course, modern mythology, aliens on Earth.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
reply to post by Aeons

Well.......since we come from advance races, why does this seem absurd to you?

Did you assume that Earthlings being from one of the younest planets to begin with, created technology and languages on their own????

Evidence would suggest so. Fits an exponential increase over time quite nicely actually. No big sudden jump. All evidence from numerous places indicates that cities form spontaneously and advance quickly, and if probably placed exist for long periods of time.

I have no problem with the idea that we are what we are.

And frankly, if you think that what we are is PLANNED I gotta tell ya that these "advanced" being did a real crappy job of a whole lot of things. I'd be happy to give them some feedback for their next project, so that they don't screw it up so bad next time.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
well seeing that we have been shoving radio waves into space for the last 100 or so years with our language and educational programs you would think an advanced species would be able to figure out this kindergarden stuff.

Sounds pretty easy to me to figure out.

When we have a limitless amount of information floating at 100 + light years away from us, someone's had to have heard it by now.

Pred...

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Almost everything dissipates before it gets out of our system.

That's why one can assume that signals picked up are intentional. They must have the power to not dissipate for significant distances/time.

Which is why our own one time signal is significant, and why "WOW" is special. If it is something, it is an intentional something.

[edit on 2010/7/10 by Aeons]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join