It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heatwaves Hit Across N Hemisphere

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
What's going on????? I thought global warming was over and we're supposed to be entering a new ice age?

USA:

New York City temperatures hit 103 degrees; thousands lose power

Canada:

Heatwave blankets Ontario, Quebec

Spain:

Mercury rises to 44c in the shade

Finland:

Sunday's high temp nearly a record breaker

Russia:

Hundreds drown during Russian heatwave

Saudi Arabia:

Record high temperatures cause Saudi power outages

Vietnam:

Record hot weather sear central, northern regions

China:

Heatwave in China brings hottest days in 60 years

Actually, it's just normal weather - but interesting that most of the current weather news stories revolve around heatwaves. The one exception being down under, where, just to be different, Alice Springs has recorded it's coldest day on record. Silly Aussies!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
To top it all Wimbledon went off without a hitch this year - they didn't suspend play due to rain once this year - Unheard of !

So even old Blighty (the U.K.) has been having a summer for once.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by slidingdoor

Aye, been quite a dry first half of the year, though locally a couple of spells of heavy rain have kept totals up to close on average. Wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the summer is a bit wetter though.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by slidingdoor

So even old Blighty (the U.K.) has been having a summer for once.

What are you talking about its been really dreary here,
Wimbledon done alright yes but its been raining and been overcast way more than last year, Im looking outside now and I see harsh winds, overcast sky and a top temp of 15 degrees

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
One reason we are seeing hotter temperatures is due to the increase in size of urban areas. All those buildings and blacktop act as heatsinks thus making temperatures hotter in urban areas. The weather isn't changing so much as it is the surface of the planet, courtesy of man.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
no, no, no--climate change not over, keep thinking...climate change just not attributed to man.....it's the sun, my brother!!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Big deal to the heat on the American east coast.

Talk to people in the southwest through the south then north to Montana and the Dakotas. Higher temps than this are the norm in summer and in Texas/Arizonia, these temps are an average spring day.

This is "news worthy", in America, only because the network brassholes are sweating while walking from their limos to the front door of their corporate towers.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
there is one thing, though people of the world,,,,i swear we should all have white roofs...i'm certain of that.
it must be a conspiracy to install dark shingle like all builders do....what's up with that?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I live outside of Philly and yesterday it was 102. It was HOT but so much better than shoveling out of 2 back to back blizzards this past winter. Give me the heat any day!

Yes it has been a hot couple of weeks, we have heat waves every summer. I think the MSM is trying to think of news in this area!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Yes, I'm sure the heat is produced by rooftops and has nothing to do with the approaching solar maximum that NASA is publicly concerned about.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
My friends thought I was insane when I told them in February it would be hotter than normal this year and we would see some really strong storms. Dare I make a prediction as everyone here loves them?

This fall we will see some of the strongest thunderstorms ever here in the midwest, and a snowier than average winter.

From what I understand it always gets really warm before an ice age, with all the moisture from all the ice melting everywhere, it does not seem unusual to me that we would see such weather patterns...

Just a thought.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Being hit by a heatwave is always better then being hit by a microwave

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Here in the southern, Southern Hemisphere it has been raining much more than usual, colder than usual as well.

I don't think it's anything to worry about, simply another year of weather. You can't expect it to be the same every year, though it should be similar.
'
But I don't like anywhere near the USA, so I have no idea how odd it is for you guys.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

ey, at noon, go out and feel the warmth on the front lawn.....then try to approach the roof, just get close...no, just try to get close

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
The last three days were filled with rain and thunderstorms. I've rarely seen so much rain coming down as it was on sunday evening. It was cloudy and rather cool, the temperatures barely climbed over 20° C in those days. Before that it was hot, but nothing unusual, around 28-32° C, that's normal for summer.
Today it's a bit sunnier and a bit warmer, but far away from Heatwaves, around 23° C i'd say.

The most extreme summer was in 2003. The hottest summer in Germany since 500 years with temperatures of nearly 40°. It was unbelievable. We never had such a hot summer since and i doubt that 2010 will be extreme, some hotter days but not like it was then with 2 months of extreme heat.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
It feels like winter here in Sunny California. Im on the Coast in Encinitas and its been cloudy and in the 60's so far this week.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Any charts comparing the temps over the past 50 years? I remember some scorchers growing up in the north east.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by GW8UK

I think maybe just the south or London specifically has been on a roll this year - very little rain .

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
What's going on????? I thought global warming was over and we're supposed to be entering a new ice age?

From some other weather networks sites i have seen after this thing is over there will be a cooling period, with low temps of 19 to 16 in some places they might even see snow.

This isnt Global Warming Dont try to bring it up

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by GW8UK

It depend where you are
The SE looks like holding on to some mostly dry and at times very warm and humid weather (could be the warmest weekend of the year coming up) - whereas the more northwest you are the more subject to Atlantic weather systems you will be for the foreseeable future. Ironically it's the NW that has been most afflicted by drought. Well not any longer. Sorry!

Incidently, after such a warm winter (with a few notable exceptions
) looks like this could well end up as globally the warmest year on record! Thanks in part to Mr El Nino ....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join