It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recovery Effort Falls Short of BP's Promises

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
not that it should be a surprise, but here are some details, from cbsnews.com:

In the 77 days since oil from the ruptured Deepwater Horizon began to gush into the Gulf of Mexico, BP has skimmed or burned about 60 percent of the amount it promised regulators it could remove in a single day.

that is from the sea surface, not at the well head. back in March, BP's claim was that it had the capacity to skim and remove 491,721 barrels of oil each day in case of a major spill. the government did not verify their claim - i don't know how they could verify it, if they wanted to. i don't think they wanted to make sure.

BP began downgrading expectations only two days after the rig explosion. Although its projections reported to the federal government were only weeks old, the company cited a greatly reduced number in a news release filed with the federal Securities and Exchange Commission. It projected that it had "skimming capacity of more than 171,000 barrels per day, with more available if needed."

and still, they fall way short of that number:

Skimming has captured only 67,143 barrels, and BP has relied on burning to remove 238,095 barrels. Most of the oil recovered - about 632,410 barrels - was captured directly at the site of the leaking well.

what's worse, they offer no explanation:

BP officials declined to comment on the validity of early skimming projections, stressing instead the company's commitment to building relief wells intended to shut down the still-gushing well.

"The numbers are what they are," said BP spokesman Toby Odone. "At some point, we will look back and say why the numbers ended up this way. That's for the future. Right now, we are doing all we can to capture and collect the oil through various methods. We will make sure all the oil is ultimately dealt with."

right.

word of honor, i suppose.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I think i have a way to stop oil spill,get a bunch of gold,and make a 50ft wedding ring slip it over leak,the well will quit putting out in no time lol

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
where are you gonna get that much gold?

are you going to make it yourself?

how big is your torch?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
"The numbers are what they are," said BP spokesman Toby Odone. "At some point, we will look back and say why the numbers ended up this way. That's for the future."

Lol, so basically he said "I have absolutely no excuse for our embarrassing statistics, but dont worry, we'll make up some excuses in the future, just give us time"

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

you are very gracious! you took it better than i did.

to me it sounds like "screw you, we don't owe you any explanation whatsoever. (we're the experts here!)"

but i'm kinda sore about the whole thing, anyway.

their arrogance is astounding!

top topics

join