It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds shut down nine websites in movie piracy crackdown

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by debunky

Interesting... congress sets the price. Annee: right to profit, owner sets price?
Also interesting the part about why Hollywood is in Hollywood.

Oh - give it a rest.

How many times have I posted - - - laws have not caught up to the "electronic media/cyber technology"

However - at this time the Piracy laws & Copyright are very clear - - on the topic at hand.

I'm not having an problem staying to topic.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Interesting... congress sets the price. Annee: right to profit, owner sets price?

Oh - give it a rest.

How many times have I posted - - - laws have not caught up to the "electronic media/cyber technology"

However - at this time the Piracy laws & Copyright are very clear - - on the topic at hand.

Is it that laws haven't caught up to the digital age? Or your mentality regarding economics hasn't caught up to it? Because the younger generation who were born into the digital age seem to disagree with you entirely. And that will be the generation that best understands what the system is.

Because the younger the generation is, the more they disagree with you. So it appears as if you're desperately trying to apply old-world economics to the new world.

[edit on 10-7-2010 by mryanbrown]

EDIT:

1. "This is what the laws are!"
2. "The laws haven't caught up!"
3. "The laws are right and you're wrong."
4. "The laws are wrong."
5. "The laws need to catch up!"

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Feel free to get the laws changed.

But TODAY - - there is legal copyright - - and it is illegal to steal copyrighted material.

TODAY - piracy is illegal -- it is theft.

I say the laws where you live are slanted towards the artist but in the REAL WORLD benefit corporations more than artists.

International copyright law says that the law of each land will apply to copyrighted material. The laws where I and others live are written so that it isn't illegal yet you keep calling theft.

We have indeed felt free to change the laws and you fail to recognize these changes. Can't you just accept that some countries have stood up to the corporate intrests.

[edit on 10-7-2010 by daskakik]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I always looked at it this way, if the movie i choose to download from a torrent plays on tv and i can watch it for free on tv then whats the difference if i download it and watch it. As long as i don't make copies and profit from it it doesnt seem that wrong. Does my moral compass need a tweak? LOL

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by PjZ101
I always looked at it this way, if the movie i choose to download from a torrent plays on tv and i can watch it for free on tv then whats the difference if i download it and watch it. As long as i don't make copies and profit from it it doesnt seem that wrong. Does my moral compass need a tweak? LOL

DVRs are illegal!!! TiVo are thiefs!!! Time-shifting doesn't deserve to be part of FCC regulation!!!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by mryanbrown

DVRs are illegal!!! TiVo are thiefs!!! Time-shifting doesn't deserve to be part of FCC regulation!!!

"Cable operators are to be allowed to offer "network DVR" services - where digital video recorder functionality such as recording and playing back programmes on demand may be provided using normal cable boxes - after an American court ruled them legal

The US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in New York has ruled that Cablevision, a cable operator covering parts of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, may offer network DVR functionality without violating copyright law"

Old news as well =)

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
they close 9, 46 open ...

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Oh - give it a rest.

That wasn't the question Annee.
The questinon was why did Congress decide to take away the right to set the price form the rightholders, when they were selling to cable television?

Edit to add: also thanks for the "younger generation" I am closer to 40 than to 30

[edit on 11-7-2010 by debunky]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Longy4eva
i have to agree with the general census here, 'piracy' is more beneficial then hollywood realises. I watched a number of movies, from 300 to Avatar, to the two hellboys.. and if i liked the film i went out and bought it for a good copy i could watch whenever i liked without waiting for a stream. But i guarantee i won't be going to the cinema, specially when a colleague took four kids (5-9ys) to see a film then a pizza, and almost hit triple figures.

i find the money poured into hollywood, for the actors and such is appauling. why someone needs to be paid in the order of millions for 6-12 months work, i'll never know.

If all pirate dvd watchers are like you maybe! but lets take it a step further lets say people like me WHO will go to the cinema and then if they like a film buy the dvd or blu-ray in my case when it comes out decide NOT to go and just download what happens then

I could do that but I have a home cinema set up with an HD projector and a very large screen so I want the best quality.

You like a lot of people on here then go for the easy targets the actors/hollywood/big business the actors get big bucks because they get the punters in and in the same way footballers, basketball players etc etc get people to spend money following there teams.

The same way if you or I or anyone else here would if that was our job, and to be honest on here it looks like a lot of people here seem to resent what these people earn so if you want to do the same develop a talent or come up with and idea that millions will want.

I said this before but it would be intresting to see how many of the pirate music/dvd downloaders here quite happliy stumped up LOTS of cash for one of apples (style over SUBSTANCE) i-products to paly/watch them on.

ALSO AS THE OWNERS OF THE SITE DONT LIKE TO SEE THE PROMOTION OR USE OF ILLEGAL SOFTWARE/TORRENT SITES I WONDER HOW THEY FEEL ABOUT MEMBERS IF THEY CONDONE THE USE OF SUCH SITES
:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008
ALSO AS THE OWNERS OF THE SITE DONT LIKE TO SEE THE PROMOTION OR USE OF ILLEGAL SOFTWARE/TORRENT SITES I WONDER HOW THEY FEEL ABOUT MEMBERS IF THEY CONDONE THE USE OF SUCH SITES
:

Seeing as it's almost on page 30. Why don't you read the rules if you're curious how the owners feel?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I quit using cable tv due to the fact not that new moviesw were on but old shows not even on tv anymore. So many people watch these not for the Movies but for old series that no one even shows anymore. Now the Government is in Your bedroom. How does it Feel?

It will get worsre - this is just a test. Unless we raise a lot of stink about this - it won't be long before there are No Videos on th web as well as very limited Government approved content - so what's next for me? I visited one of those sites - did they drop some who knows what tracking and destructive cookie on my computer?
\Interestingly enough even with spyware blocker, anti- trojan software, anti- virus software and a few more programs to protect my computers My 3rd one just went down 2 days ago while watching a movie and now won't even boot up in safe mode so I can attempt to fix it. This is the 3rd computer in 6 months this has happened to! They are all sitting here and I am taking them to get fixed today and have a lot of questions for the tech.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I rarely even watch tv on tv anymore, i watch nearly everything online, either on the channels own iplayers or for movies on other sites, which are still up and running

[edit on 12-7-2010 by Lady_Tuatha]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

EDIT:

4. "The laws are wrong."

2 Notes on the whole laws catching up thing:

1) It tried to do that since Johannes von Speyer got his 5 year monopoly in venice. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.
2) Looks like publishers don't want to wait much longer either, and rather have their own police powers (ACTA)

@WMD_2008: Imagine a world without piracy: 30% of worldwide internet traffic is bittorrent. I know my ISP would get a whole lot less money from me, if piracy went away over night. Personally, If i had to choose between a working movie industry and a working phone, I would have to say "phone"

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

EDIT:

4. "The laws are wrong."

1) It tried to do that since Johannes von Speyer got his 5 year monopoly in venice. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.
2) Looks like publishers don't want to wait much longer either, and rather have their own police powers (ACTA)

@WMD_2008: Imagine a world without piracy: 30% of worldwide internet traffic is bittorrent. I know my ISP would get a whole lot less money from me, if piracy went away over night. Personally, If i had to choose between a working movie industry and a working phone, I would have to say "phone"

On other threads debunky I have agreed with you but lets see

I pay my ISP £17.99 a month for internet with NO download cap, people dont just download pirate stuff all the time you can still have a phone without the net LIKE you used to.

If you had NO movie/music industry then NO pirate stuff to download
also I have still not SEEN one GOOD reason to condone pirate music movies or software.

Then we also have the fact that people are pirating medicine,aircraft and car parts LETS hope YOU dont end up with faulty brakes or duff medicine I wonder HOW you would feel if that happened.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

People do “pirate” car parts all the time (if you get into cars and rebuilding or moding them you see this). They call them knock offs and they are legal. The quality is not as good as the original (much like the pirated stuff you download) but you have the option. These companies are not putting the quality maker out of business so long as the quality is different. Most though refuse to pay a higher price if the quality is the same.

As I stated earlier in the thread I borrowed a copy of a DVD a co-worker burned of a downloaded movie. The movie was Paranormal Activity. I had hopes that the movie would be decent and hold my interest. To be honest I would have been mad had I paid even rental few to watch the movie. I normally either rent or borrow copies of movies. When I borrow a copy, I have used the product without paying. I have even made DVDs of movies off HBO when I had that service with my DVR and DVD burner. I have a DVR now, which can hold several movies if I chose to record them off a movie channel if I had one.

Either way they have a lot more issues at hand than just the internet and downloads when I can have a DVR and a DVD recorder that hook up to my TV and can view a movie channel or Netflix. I know several people who record from Netflix but do not download.

Raist

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
RIAA Spent $64 Million On Threats Netting Just $1.4 Million

P2PNet has managed to grab hold of the RIAA's tax documents for the last few years, and they make for some very entertaining reading. According to the RIAA’s disclosure form for just 2008, the outfit paid its lawyers more than $16,000,000 to recover $391,000 from P2P music traders. Between 2006 and 2008, the RIAA paid (mostly to lawyers) about $64 million to hunt down and threaten file sharers -- a process which only netted around $1.4 million (which didn't go to artists, of course).

Just thought this fitted in with the thread.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by mryanbrown]

[edit on 14-7-2010 by mryanbrown]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

EDIT:

4. "The laws are wrong."

On other threads debunky I have agreed with you but lets see

I pay my ISP £17.99 a month for internet with NO download cap, people dont just download pirate stuff all the time you can still have a phone without the net LIKE you used to.

If you had NO movie/music industry then NO pirate stuff to download
also I have still not SEEN one GOOD reason to condone pirate music movies or software.

Then we also have the fact that people are pirating medicine,aircraft and car parts LETS hope YOU dont end up with faulty brakes or duff medicine I wonder HOW you would feel if that happened.

Movies are the elephant in the room, no doubt there.
I think the key there are cinemas: Even if there was no copyright law (And please note that even I am not that radical: 5 years, commercial use only is propably something the industry and the consumer could live very well with)
where was I? yes, even if there was no copyright if you run a cinemy you would be interested in having a first rate copy as fast as possible. There is definitely money to be made there. And downloading shared blueray disks is pretty time consuming, so there is a market there as well.
So yes, you can compete with free if you offer better service, more convenience. It's not my fault that the industry decided to compete with "free and convenient" with "expensive and a hassle" (That one actually makes me want to scream every time: I buy a DVD, and the first thing I get when I put it in is a threat. Thats the whole problem: for my uses the pirated version isn't equal, it's superior. Just a little superior? I guess, but superior none theless)

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Wow! This topic went on for 26 pages! I doubt anyone will read this:

I think more people should put pressure on your Public Library to buy more DVDs . I know our library here in South Carolina is just awful! No money to buy or desire I guess. People can actually donate DVDs no longer wanted to the library. My relatives in St. Louis, MO, and Cincinnati, OH have spectacular libraries where they get great movies to watch.

DVDs can be bought and sold at the Pawn shop. Just make sure you open the case at the cash registrar and check that its actuallly in the box, and look at the scratch marks.

Trading movies with friends and relatives and co workers is always an option. I think used DVDs make great gifts if they are like new. You don't have to unwrap and peal off all those stickers from the box. It's
recycling.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Durrilll

So, the broke family living down the street that has very little money because the mom is unemployed and the dad works part time at the gas station...

if they break into your house and steal your television...it's okay? And the police should not arrest them, because you have more than they do?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
reply to post by Durrilll

So, the broke family living down the street that has very little money because the mom is unemployed and the dad works part time at the gas station...

if they break into your house and steal your television...it's okay? And the police should not arrest them, because you have more than they do?

Copyright laws are about exclusive rights to use, copy, distribute certain ideas/works of art.
They make little to no sense if you apply them to other things.
Nobody (sane) wants to use copyright laws on actual property.
What you are doing makes about as much sense as looking up speed limits in building security code.

For your example: That depends on what derivative works were based on the television.

See?

Edit to add an example, that might educate some of the harder cases:
Is refilling printing cartridges theft? (Ask yourself, then ask Lexmark)

[edit on 15-7-2010 by debunky]

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27 >>

join