It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds shut down nine websites in movie piracy crackdown

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I love ice cream cake. I think it is insane the 3 dollars worth of ice cream and 1 dollar worth of crunchy things, frosting, and packaging all comes out to cost me 16 dollars.

I figured out a perfectly legal way to solve this issue. I do not buy things I do not feel are worth what people want to charge. Should I steel these cakes now? This thread would seem to be saying yes by far.

Everyone is complaining about Hollywood how they are greedy rich thieves and yet this entire thread is about also complaining that your free access to the products produced by said greedy evil thieves is being cut off. Anyone else see that irony?

So, when we all watch True Blood for free on an ad averting pirate site and no one is paying for HBO anymore, will the show get better?

Anyway, should I steel the cake?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Tuvok112

you can watch hells kitchen on hulu they have all this season up for 60 days

rest is just me rambling about the topic

I on both sides of the fence

I understand that 1st run movies make them the bucks
I understand no one can afford the ticket price these days

I can watch tv but I refuse to
I watch tv shows on the net ( hulu )

I watch movies on the net through hulu or crackle
or youtube ( yup they have movies also )

I rent movies when I can
I buy movies I really like

Some site's should be taken down ( movie sites that do cam and stuff )

If the movie company wants to make cash off the net
charge me 5 bucks that you provide to see all your new stuff.

Let actors and directors producers and what not let them get max 20 25 an hour in stead of millions. That is what they wanted to do, and from what I seen they should be paid big bucks for crappy work. I can even act better then a few of them.

I honestly think that a few movie companies aught to be shaken down for monopoly ( Example ) WB
Well little while ago they bought out a small game company just so they can sit on the literary rights for lord of the rings, they said that since the game is running great they wont change a thing. BUT they did , they changed it to free to play with ( item mall stuff ), then went into a bankruptcy to rework there finances.

Now if they left the company alone and worked with jrrtolkens people on literary rights to make a movie they might of had something but instead tried a vulgar move.

To fix it they should have sites that offer ( legally ) a place to go to watch it for a monthly fee. I live with people who can't make it to the movies ( disability ) and they would love to see new flix, but buy time it comes to dvd heck even tv shows and or commercials are ripping off the movie and or showing to much of it to watch.

I support a good quality movie or tv show or software, but heck most of it now is just bunk, one new show is just a rip off of an older show, and so on and so on.

But I do say if the show is older then 5yrs let it be public domain.
I say once a tv show airs, its public domain.

ahh then how do companies make cash if people just wait for after tv ?

easy let them air it on the net ( with a commercial or 2 )

How do they make money after 5 yrs of sitting on the shelf for movies?
easy they had 5 yrs to make the money back,

either that or start putting out really good shows and movies and people might tune in

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeta Reticulan

As compared to ninja? Not even close...they're a mere portal for the junk and spotty service the networks provide for their own shows. And yes...they have commercials. Well it sounds like I need to start remembering to set my DVR or no more TV for me.
Only a a few shows worth watching anyway.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeta Reticulan

news-briefs.ew.com...

umm hulu is not gonna be that much more usefull if this link is true i may have clicked the wrong one but it seems there gonna start chargeing so there that one goes

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
They need to take the name magevideo, that site makes money off of every illegal movie/tv show uploaded. You can only watch like 72mins of video before it tells you to wait or become a premium member.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I'm glad they are doing this for the movies part, not so much the TV show part. I was in Wal-mart earlier today and a family was looking at $3.00 DVDs, and instead of buying them the guy said "I can just watch these online for free".

If you want to see a movie, go to the theater or buy it, it's part of the experience. I like watching TV shows online, but I never watch movies online because the quality is terrible. Not to mention the people who actually watch movies that were recorded in the movie theater by a cell phone... really guys?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Durrilll

What these movie makers need to do is simple, learn a lesson from the pirates and do what the pirates do.

These studios and film makers can show their movies and shows online for free and make profits selling DVDs, special feature DVDs, merchandise, signed copies, advertising, downloads, etc.

They can do the jobs the pirates do and in competition with them nearly drive the pirates out of business.

Fighting their battles this way the movie industry will lose, plain and simple.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Where all these websites hosted in the US?

If not then this is a big problem in regards to who controls and should police the internet.

If US based sites then the fed can do what they deem right under court of law approval but if not US based they really should have ZERO right to do anything.

Anyone know?

Also anyone know what the IP address or the numerical digit address is for these sites, sometimes the written webaddress is taken down but the actual site remains just need to access it differently.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

I had that same thought myself. I know of a few in Canada.

If this data is accurate, it looks like ninjavideo.net was hosted in the Netherlands. Link

What this might mean is that they killed access to thisse servers from this country only? I don't know how that works. Anyone? Can anyone outside the U.S. get to the site using either it's DNS or IP address?

Oops...nevermind...found this in the OP:

The crackdown, which involved 100 agents working in 11 states and the Netherlands, was part of a renewed campaign dubbed Operation in Our Sites by federal authorities to curb Internet counterfeiting and piracy.

Officials said that those sites are no longer operating and that visitors will now encounter a banner announcing that law enforcement agencies has shut down the sites because they were trafficking in illegal downloads (as of 1:00 p.m. PST, however, some of these sites still appeared to be operational).
Law enforcement officials said that these investigations were targeted specifically at the people running bit torrent sites, but that indicated that in the future they may widen their gaze to include individuals who download films and television shows illegally. While the nine sites shut down on Wednesday were all operating in the United States, Morton said that the agencies involved in the new initiative had jurisdiction in 44 countries.

Haven't seen any law enforcement banners yet. And you know they're gathering IPs hitting the sites.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Mwh, ninjavideo is a huge loss, but they will never shut down the torrent sites that are the root of piracy.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Zeta Reticulan]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I don't want to get out and spend $7 at an uncomfortable theater, with disgusting snack prices. Even DVDs are also grossly overpriced. I'm really sick of leaving theaters and not feeling that the movie was worth what I payed for. Avatar was really the only movie that I have seen in a long time that I thought was worth every penny. (Since Dark Knight I suppose)

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Now, three months later NinjaVideo is one of the nine websites that were targeted by the U.S. Government. As is often the case, however, not all of the websites are surrendering without putting up a fight. At least two sites have already adapted. Movies-Links.TV, is operational under the new domain name of Watch-Movies-tv.info and TVShack.net is now located at TVShack.cc.

Source TorrentNews

In all Greed and Money talks nothing else matters.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by k3rm1t]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
In my opinion every single tv-show ever made should be watchable online in every country. In a youtube kind of format and made so that the shows rights owners would get the advertising revenue from their own shows pages and the main site would get from the rest of the pages to pay for the hosting. I don't know how many trillion terabytes of shows that would be but it should be done asap

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
As long as I've still got oneclickmoviez.com, I'm goodie..but you dont even need a website nowadays you just google the name of what your looking for, followed by Megaupload, and Google will give you the link.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Unenlightened Self-Interest

Strange how some folks are suggesting that spending millions of dollars to make a movie and then charging people to watch it is greedy, while stealing that same movie -- without spending a penny on its production -- and making ad money by streaming it illicitly on the Internet is somehow noble.

Although I certainly agree that content providers need to adapt their business models to the realities of the Internet and give customers better and more practical ways to access their products, the rationales being used to justify piracy are self-contradictory.

Pointing fingers at "Hollywood" for being greedy, while simultaneously demanding the fruit of their expensive labors for free, is nothing more than greed itself -- and utter hypocrisy.
:shk:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
It doesn't cost a lot of money to see a movie. I rarely go to see anything on the big screen, maybe 1 or 2 movies a year, if even that.

Now, that's not to say I haven't seen all the movie I would care to see. I'll occasionally pick them up at Wal-Mart when it's released on DVD if I feel it's worth the $20 or whatever (Avatar was the last one I bought). More often though I'll just wait until the rental crazy is over and pick them up used at a rental store for $3 used (nothing wrong with used so long as they guarantee exchange if it skips).

Three bucks, that's really all it costs, for an entire family, friends too (I loan my DVDs out when I'm done watching them, so others get to watch them for free).

It only costs more if you have no self control and restraint and must be among the first to see it. I really could care any less if I see a block buster today, or 8 months from now. Personally, I prefer to wait until I can get it for $3 and then sit in the comfort of my own home and chair where I can eat and smoke and pause it and back it up to replay something I missed.

Movies don't cost much, the lack of self-restraint is what sends most people to the poor house.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Divinorumus]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Their whole "losing money" thing is a lie and they know it. I'm the perfect example. I "illegally" download tons of movies yet I have a 300+ DVD collection and visit the movies at the very least, twice a month. Sometimes 3 or all 4 weekends in the month if they're pumping good movies out. The girlfriend and I are complete opposites but if there's one thing that we can both enjoy together, it's watching a movie. If they continue doing this, they're risking losing all my money because I won't continue pumping them money to use on their unethical lobbying and lawyers so they can turn around and maybe one day use them against me.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Finally a voice of reason. The justifications for piracy and plunder have been outrageously self involved, and short sighted. Granted, many of these studios have a long history of profiting off of films that have actually glorified pirates, i.e Pirates of the Caribbean, but those films costs rival what some small countries spend in a year.

A gourmet meal can cost quite a bit of money too. Why not a thread about how the greedy restaurateurs need to get a clue and allow their food to be handed for free? Automobiles? Why pay good money for a Lexus when you can just have some homey jack the damn thing for you? Nikes? Why pay for them when you can shoplift them? Just do it! Diamonds? Everybody knows they're a girls best friend, and friends don't charge an arm and leg to be worn. Just play the cat burglar and steal the rocks, after all, its all justified in today's world where ethics is just a word used by academics.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
LMAO! I can not believe the government is wasting money on this!! Several sites like these get "shut down" quite often, and are usually back up within a week. Also, anyone missing some shows may want to check out sidereel.com

[edit on 1-7-2010 by ganja]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join