It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 6.5 quake rocks S Mexico. What effect might it have on the well etc?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
An earth quake registering 6.5 hit Oaxaca at 0222 hrs (0722 GMT). The epicentre was 82 km (51m) south of Tlaxiaco the USGS has said. Source - BBC NEWS.

So, more agravation for the Gulf of Mexico! My concern is the potential knock on effect the quake and subsequent after shocks could have on an already perilous situation. Got a feeling we'll want to keep a close watch to see how or indeed IF things unfold. Would like feed back and/or info from anyone in the know.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by 5senses]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Mexico has had even larger quakes, and even further north than this one ... and we didn't even FEEL it in Texas - which is halfway from there to the spill.

Don't worry - no effect on BP - n/a

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

I think the op was actualy asking if the knock on effect would effect the ocean floor rather than BP itself?
Who knows? Has it made the ocean floor more prone to collapse or exploding?

Yes mexico may have had bigger quakes but that was before the oil spill.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by jazz10]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
OMG it's going to crack open the sea floor and all that lava is going to ignite the oil and we are all going to die because the huricain will blow the fire around the globe and the sky will catch fire.

in the mean time this 1,000,000 gallons equates to 1 sq KM on the surface which is nothing and could be mopped up and the reason it's not is because the zionists want to introduce a personal carbon tax and some people are doing the zionists jobs in the media for them.

The only thread i've not seen in connection with this oil spill is one wheer ET started it and is watching how we deal with it.

You are being played like a fine violin

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LieBuster

Wasn't hysterical in my op so no need to be facetious. That's why I asked for feed back from any one who knew how the 'land lay' so to speak. You're obviously not one of those people.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Yes, thanks that was my point. I am cognisant of other, larger quakes that have hit the region in the past but, as you say, they happened before this debacle. Probably all be fine but there is a strong chance that the under water terrain may have been been comprimised with all that's happened down there, surely? Therefore, wouldn't it be within the realm of possibility that nearby shaking could effect the leak site? I don't know but it's gotten me thinking and so I ask questions.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Once again, as with everything that's going on... We don't know what effect it might have, but I guess that if an earthquake happens along the same fault line, then instability must be magnified.

Its a known fact that the region in the gulf is geologically unstable and this leak MUST increase that fact.... If the earth quake is in anyway linked by chambers or faults in rock, to what's under the BOP, then you can be sure the outcome won't be a small puff of gas, or sulphur, or oil, or even magma... judging by other incidents around the world, it will be a pretty instant and large kaboom!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by 5senses

I too have wondered this. I believe that the whole area could collapse in on itself if it doesnt blow first, i dont think the quake would have helped matters, but like you im wanting the answers too.
So is this possible, im calling on those here on ATS who are educated to answer,

Can the gulf of mexico collapse in on itself?
Is the whole area capable of exploding?
Will solar events effect the area and possibly have a negative effect?
What gravitational influences could effect the area?
The oil that has leaked, has it been replaced with sea water thats of a different density and what effect will this have if so?

Anyone? Thanks.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Don't know if this helps in any way - Wahington Post , 23rd June

'Even the most sober analysts are quick to say that this is such an unpredictable well that almost anything is possible. Bruce Bullock, director of the Maguire Energy Institute at Southern Methodist University, said additional leaks are a possible source of deep-sea plumes of oil detected by research vessels. But this part of the gulf is pocked with natural seeps, he noted. Conceivably the drilling of the well, and/or the subsequent blowout, could have affected the seeps, he said.

"Once you started disturbing the underground geology, you may have made one of those seeps even worse," he said.

This is why I'm concerned about the potential ramifications of the earth quake.

The whole article is a must read and I'm so sorry that I don't yet know how to insert links!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by 5senses

Wasn't hysterical in my op so no need to be facetious. That's why I asked for feed back from any one who knew how the 'land lay' so to speak. You're obviously not one of those people.

Would you like to address the isue of the oil only taking up 1 sq km first and then we can talk about the 'Land Lay' and all the what if's.

For the past 4bn years we have had earth quakes and huricaines and one day we will get a major astroyed hiting the earth and a pin prick in to a tar pool will not effect the outcome one bit.

Did you know all the ships in GoM are going to be consuming oil just as fast as it's coming out from the leak so no this leak by itself is not such a big deal and people in the GoM won't even feel this quake from S Mexico

You are all working yourselves up in to a frenzy and are not doing the sums or following the money and if the tecktonic plates moved by a large degree in the GoM then you would have 100's of snapped oil drils and then you might have something to write home about.

"Can the gulf of mexico collapse in on itself? "

No not if the oil is at 20-70,000psi pushing upwards and when it gets low they pump water in to balance the presure which won't turn to steam due to the presure so i don't think that would kill us all.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by LieBuster]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Seeing as how your name is "Liebuster", it's hilarious to see you lying so adamantly to yourself.
Yep, the oil leak is no big deal, nothing bad is happening down there. The dead zone that's already there isn't going to get bigger, the methane isn't going to dissolve into the seawater and further deoxygenate it. No big deal, animals aren't dying by the thousands or anything.

Get ahold of yourself. Are you getting paid for this, or are you just daft??

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mpriebe81

From your insults it's clear to see you have lost the debate and are unable to back up your facts or debunk what i have said.

I too hate it when i'm watching a film and someone breaks the ilusion and i would resort to insults.

Yes it's being allowed to hit land, yes some dolphine are dieing but in the big picture a 1000 dolphines a day die of old age and a million gallons is nothing but you refuse to do the sums yourself.

Look in the mirrow before you talk about a paid troll because it is me that is warning about the carbon tax of the back of this leak and i'm not selling that to the public.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I understand what you are saying but do you really think BP would sacrifice their name and company all in the name of more money, haven't they got enough. I know for an absolute fact that major shareholders are dumping their shares in the company as we speak.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by LieBuster
reply to post by mpriebe81

Yes it's being allowed to hit land, yes some dolphine are dieing but in the big picture a 1000 dolphines a day die of old age and a million gallons is nothing but you refuse to do the sums yourself.

You are so full of sludge!
You are spitting out pure bs, or bp in this case.
I would like to see you swimming in your million gallons of nothing..

Stop spewing this total bs, else I will show definitive proof of your pure ignorance.

Just stfu

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Stick to the subject of the thread please. This is becoming a slanging match children. Remember what we're dealing with and focus. Thank you for your respect.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by 5senses

Dear op, sorry to come all up in your public thread, and point out the fools, I will try to tone it down a bit just for your happiness.

I don't think the best seismologist in the world could tell you anything for sure. So many variables. What are they going to say? "Yes..it could affect the gulf, but it probably will not."

Perhaps a nice quake in the gulf itself will get your panties in an proper uproar.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Given the fragile geology of the gulf floor it is NOT outside possibility this quake could affect the oil gusher especially if the deposit which was tapped extends to the Yucatan peninsula as speculated.
The reality is we have tapped an unknown volume of abiotic oil coming from possibly the largest deposit of oil and gasses ever accessed. The area is already riddled with cracks and plumes from the sea floor fracturing and infiltration of oil from the deposit and water from the sea floor,yes water does infiltrate, Google black smoker and educate yourself about their mechanism and the bumping and variable pressure and flow from this hole becomes an easily explained phenomenon.
Finally the crustal dome over the deposit is highly crystalline granitic rock with little to no flexibility so it is exceptionally susceptible to fracturing. If this well has another major increase in flow over the next weeks it can be assumed the earthquake has exacerbated the flow due to increased pressures in the fracture zone which appears to intersect a broken area of the well casing
As said no one knows what if any effect regional tremors may have but given the vastly unstable geology I sincerely would not bet my life on it being "nothing" nor would I scream the sky is falling...yet.
N.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SLaPPiE

See my earlier reply post to Jazz10 with info taken from the Washington Post. Oh, and FYI, no panties roaring up here - not even a little!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
wat if this was a pre shock
i think it was
get ready

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
reply to post by 5senses

The oil that has leaked, has it been replaced with sea water thats of a different density and what effect will this have if so?

Anyone? Thanks.

No they have not replaced the Oil with sea water.
do they have a pump with a pressuer over 1 mill PSI ?
I dont think they do.
so its just emptying out !
if I am wroung some one tel me.

if so. the land will drop. and All the Oil will rush out.
End Game.
I hope I am wroung, but I dont think so.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join