It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google me, the next step in google takeover

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
news.cnet.com...

Spaning the google empire into social networking.

"sry if its a repost but i did not see anything"

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
In my opinion Google has become a hindrance to the internet, and it is way past time for Google to go.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Thamelas

Interesting! If you don't mind me asking, why do you think so? I understand if you wish not to answer!

In my opinion, google has helped me in many searches, and whatever it wishes to do is fine with me. An extra program and feature doesn't affect me, because I can choose not to interact with it, but I do consider it a positive thing for those who do wish to use it!

Kind regards

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Hitotsumami

Because Google is in a position to dictate what responses you get from web searches. You get results based on THEIR methods of content valuation. Not only that but Google is using their position to create their own rules for "quality". That means if a webmasters doesn't play by Google's rules then they don't get indexed by Google. That means a website is effectively cut off from most web traffic because Google is the dominant search engine by a huge margin. That means that Google is deciding what YOU see.

Google does nothing but bully independent web publishers. Period. It'll be a great day for the internet when Google collapses. I'm a webmaster and an independent publisher. I speak from experience. Here is my latest site: Project-Truth.com

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Thamelas]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thamelas
Google does nothing but bully to independent web publishers. Project-Truth.com

There is no difference between Google and television programming - you can change the channel, and you can use another search engine. Because you do not like Google, is not reason for Google to go away.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Thank you for the response!

What you state is quite interesting. For the moment though, and for the searches I make, I have found all the information I needed.

Do you have any recorded websites or pages that have been blocked from google for not matching their outlines and rules? I'd be very interested in what these 'rules' are!

Also, if I do want to research on a topic google has prevented me from seeing, do you have any alternative search engine? I could always just use books, but for convenience with the internet is the reason I ask.

Kind regards

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Hitotsumami]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Ya. I have a site that Google "deindexed". Here's the address: comic-books-store.com... You won't find it listed anywhere on Google, but it is listed on all the other engines.

If you want further proof then here is Google's page on the subject: www.google.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Thanks for the response!

I reviewed google link you sent me and i don't see any particular problem with the rules they state. Unless, of course, there is a unwritten rule of theirs where they're able to hide whatever they want 'just because they feel like it'. Are you implying that?

Also, the website you linked me to. It doesn't show up on google? I wonder why they would block a comic book store website? Very odd!

Kind regards

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Interesting. Bing gives it as the first result and Google first tells me it's spelled wrong, then gives me Comic Book Shoppe

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

That's exactly what I am implying. Google effectively owns internet search, and as such they dictate what is on a website, how it is displayed, and who does business on the internet.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

Yep. Exactly. What more proof does one need? If its listed on other search engines and not on Google it pretty much proves what I'm saying.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

It does indeed prove to what you are saying! Unless there is a reason they blocked it which matches their rules on their website, then there is quite an odd conspiracy going on.

Why block a comic book website? Odd!

Thank you for the response!

Kind regards

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Yea, google de-lists BANS stores that are just links to eBay auctions. People were spamming 50-100 new "stores" per month. There's some tricks you can do:
www.buildnichestore.net...

...but I really don't disagree with google on this.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Ah, thank you for the information! So google bans sites that are only exist to be ebay stores? I guess Ebay could have complained to google for this and google responded accordingly.

I don't particularly see a problem with this either! Gotta agree with Ian Mclean here.

If you have further information about the subject, I'd love to hear it so I can change my opinion to fit whatever the truth is!

Kind regards

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

So based on what you are saying, it is ok for Google to:

1. Decide how people may conduct business on the internet.

2. Violate people's first amendment rights to freedom of speech and freedom of expression because they don't like it?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Interesting post! I'd like to comment.

I'll use the comic book website to answer these points. Was the person who originally set up the bid the one who posted it on the comic book website google blocked? I'm not sure if they're allowed to post their bid at other websites according to Ebay's rules!

If a third party took their bids and placed it on their website, is this sanctioned by Ebay?

2. Violate people's first amendment rights to freedom of speech and freedom of expression because they don't like it?

Very interesting point! In my opinion, I guess there really isn't a reason to ban the off website ebay stores from google searches.

The only possible explanation I can think of is that Ebay complained and google didn't want to cause any unnecessary conflict with Ebay about the subject.

Kind regards

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Hitotsumami]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

So based on what you are saying, it is ok for Google to:

No, of course not. I think it's okay for them to decide how they conduct their business. Such as how they choose to rank and compile the results they provide.

The first amendment says "Congress shall make no law...". It doesn't say anything about google, a corporation. If google were using monopoly power to censor what they didn't like, you might have an argument -- but it wouldn't be a first amendment one.

Google doesn't (yet) have a monopoly on search, or control of Congress, so I still think they're within their rights to filter and rank the result how they want, and let users make the decision about whether their results are useful.

NOW, as to a "GoogleMe" social network site, my opinion (and it's not just limited to google) is that there needs to be 1. effective industry or regulated standards for user privacy options, and 2. clear disclosure options for information usage. Most people would freak out if they saw a compendium of all the information google, et al, have collected about them.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Ya. I have a site that Google "deindexed". Here's the address: comic-books-store.com... You won't find it listed anywhere on Google, but it is listed on all the other engines.

If you want further proof then here is Google's page on the subject: www.google.com...

Yep, it's not returned by google. Interesting. I wonder why? Maybe someone at google doesn't like the owner.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

That's exactly what I am implying. Google effectively owns internet search, and as such they dictate what is on a website, how it is displayed, and who does business on the internet.

You are exactly right. They are the gatekeepers of a large portion of the information on the internet.

I have a thread about this subject, relating it to news media. However, what you describe here is the exact same thing.

The Collusion of Media

I strongly encourage everyone here to read the gatekeeper link above (it is a piece by ATS's "Schrodingers Dog"). it is a "must have" for any discerning intellect (emphasis on "discerning").

[edit on 29-6-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join