It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten arrested in US on charges of spying for Russia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Ten people have been arrested in the US for allegedly spying for the Russian government, US officials say.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The US Department of Justice says eight of the suspects allegedly carried out "long-term, 'deep-cover' assignments" on US soil.

The alleged agents were trained by the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service (SVR) and sent to the US to infiltrate policy-making circles and collect information, according to court papers filed in US District Court for the southern district of New York.

Continued at the BBC link.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
So, if the USA-Russia ties are at such a good high in recent times as suggested by the recent meetings of the leaders, why has Russia continued the use of deep infiltration spying tactics on US soil?

Maybe the "newly renewed ties" aren't so close after all....

Maybe this has something to do with why Russia (along with trade links) are so reluctant to dismiss Iran.

Cold war tactics with 21st Century technology, as the BBC states, maybe a one world government and policy's is much more of an idea than a reality than we first may of thought.

This also alongside, China's spying of the US via hacking various databases and services in the US, along with China & Russia's ties, make me think China and Russia may not of changed much since the cold war in policy's...

"Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and his US counterpart Barack Obama have marked a warming in ties between their countries on the Russian leader's first visit to the White House.

Speaking after their talks, Mr Obama said the pair had "succeeded at resetting our relationship".

He said the US was backing Russia's World Trade Organisation accession.

Earlier, the two ate hamburgers and chips at an eatery close to Washington while amused bystanders looked on.

Mr Obama also announced that Moscow would allow the US to resume poultry exports to Russia after a ban of almost six months.

"Our country is more secure and the world is safer when the US and Russia get along well together," Mr Obama told reporters." - news.bbc.co.uk...

Hmm this just a few days before the spys came out, surely he must of known about them being tracked.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by Concept X]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Sadly, everybody's spying on everybody else.

Israel has had spies in the US and probably still does. I used to see these guys in the mall a half mile from my house. Their cover was selling little rubber band powered helicopters. Hard to believe, but it's true.

We need more information before deciding what this means regarding diplomatic relations between the US and Russia.

As yet, it's just more of the same.

[edit on 2010/6/28 by GradyPhilpott]

la2

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
This has been posted 3 times already, please do a search before posting or we end up with loads of the same repeated.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

How do you know those people were spies?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

How do you know those people were spies?

Well, I didn't until they were busted and the front pages of the papers and the TV news were saturated with the stories, after which the helicopter salesmen disappeared from the mall.

I found an old article to prove I didn't just make this up. According to the article the spying part was still in question.

You can make up your own mind.

whatreallyhappened.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
"The allegations read like a spy novel. The FBI says highly trained Russian secret agents were sent to live under deep cover in the United States in the 1990s, living as married couples. Their task was to infiltrate policy-making circles. Among their successes were getting close to a scientist involved in designing bunker-busting bombs and a top former intelligence official.

Moscow Centre - Russia's intelligence headquarters - allegedly asked them for information on Washington's perception of Russian foreign policy, Iran's nuclear programme and Obama's intentions at a summit last year and what he intended to offer Russia to "lure" it into co-operation.

It is said they communicated with the spy masters in Moscow by posting apparently innocent pictures on the internet which contained detailed texts. They also used special radio signals and computer technology. The FBI observed older techniques as well, money buried next to a beer-bottle marker, and "brush pasts" in the park."

Interesting as this was obviously a very long term mission, how much longer would it of gone on without them being caught? I suspect aslong as the spies are still breathing.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Well I guess all that gave them away

I had to ask: there was a statement in a different that another person was an Israeli spy, before there was proof the person was Israeli.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Maybe they were looking for the CIA Crystal meth dealer to get russia hooked up......I mean who would want to meet Jason Bourne? Better yet I know some people who would probably want to sniff trailer park bam bam off of a 5ft mosiac overlooking a federal reserve building and yes all 10 are russian and looking for fun. Thier eyes would look like

ConsciousTruth-

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I'll repost links that I posted on the other 1o arrested thred (mods please at least MOVE posts don't just delete the whole thread there was only 3 posts fgs)

Russias recent Timeline:

10th June BBC-Russia's drive to improve its image

25th June BBC-Obama and Medvedev hail 're-set' US-Russia ties

29th June BBC- Suspected Russian spies charged in US

29th June Russia rejects US allegations of spying as baseless

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Wasn't there a russian female spy who died by falling off a balcony in one of the US research centers? allegedly she had critical intel wich she was in the proces of or about to pass on to her russian contact... Thats all I remember... she died under suspicious cirumstances. but nothing followed up on that thread... couldn't have been more then 3 months ago...

well I searched through ATS database but couldn't find it... something that seems related though is the following thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 29/6/2010 by faceoff85]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Allegedy one of the suspects went to Rome to collect a fake passport. His contact would be holding a copy of the times newspaper and by using the phrase "didn't we meet in Malta in 1989" the exchange would be made.

Coincidently in 1989 in Malta (Dec 2-3) was a meeting between Bush and Gorbachev here are the NSC documents. (May take some time to load)

Document 1

Document 2

Document 3

Document 4

Document 5

Document 6

Document 7

Document 8

Document 9

Document 10

Document 11

Document 12

A Big Lie always leaves traces

[edit on 29-6-2010 by EvilTwin666]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
An interesting article from the BBC regarding these "spies."

The funniest aspect of the careers of the 10 alleged Russian "agents" arrested in the US is how inept they were - and how apparently unsuccessful.

Indeed, if this is the best the Russians can come up with, it does not say much about their level of penetration of the US government. These supposed agents did not even dare to work for the US government itself, afraid that their cover stories would not stand up.

Another couple, "Donald Heathfield and Tracey Foley", the "Boston Conspirators", also seem to have been doing rather too well. Their accounting of $64,000 (£42,500) given to them reads like the expenses of a British MP - "meals and gifts $1,250"; "education $3,600"; "business (cover) $4,900" etc.

In one conversation, a couple is heard complaining that Moscow was demanding sources for their information. In fact, Moscow seemed desperate enough to ask in one message for "tidbits".

news.bbc.co.uk...

top topics

join