It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS - What happened to you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
You used to be cool...
...you've changed, man!:shk:

Prepare thyself for yet another whine thread...

I guess the turn has come to me now.
Ol' Raudsy boy has grown tired and old while ATS remains hyper-active and immature.

Up until a few months ago I sat here daily. When ever I had a free moment I logged in just to check the latest word.
It was like that for all the years I've been on this place. I've said to myself many times that I've never been loyal to any website this long.

But now...nah, I just don't know anymore...

I know many agree that something has happened at ATS the past few years and that it has gone from a steady slide into total free-fall the past months.
The wave, or rather tsunami, of new memebers who seem to be in their puberty or younger, has washed many of the veteran members, who actually had something to say, out the drain pipe.

Gone are the days of sane discussions and debates that brought insight.
Now what do we have?
Kids, screaming at kids over topics we've gone through and over for years already, you know; old stuff.

I look at the most flagged topics and what do I see?
Same old, same old.
I click on one of them just to see if I might be mistaken, but no.
Same old, same old.

The star and flag system is obsolete too.
Doesn't mean nothing anymore.
The dumbest threads get the most flags and stars these days.
Maybe it is time to have a thumbs up or down system like on YouTube or something?

This place is getting ridicoulus, just like 99% of the rest of the internet.
ATS has now become the laughing matter it tried not to be for so many years.
This place is no longer the safe haven for intelligent discussion it used to be. It is now just another forum with those typical members...
The friends I've made here have either become ranting ol' farts like myself, or bitter debunkers, or quit the place all together.

Some say it started as early as the '08 Presidential debates. Since I didn't participate in those discussions, I wouldn't know.
During the Beijing olympics I understood from the surge of Chinese patriots that ATS had made itself a blinking red dot on the map. "They" had spotted us.
I think I didn't realize the width of it up until the Smolensk plane crash - now, that same red dot had attracted the masses that are even worse than a (supposed) "political" infiltration and/or surveillance; the mainstream.

To put some conspiracy into this, maybe it's all one big discrediting campaign?
"They" spotted ATS as a rising star that attracted sharp minds and organized them into a "dangerous", liberal, truth-uncovering think-tank.
"They" didn't like what they heard about the place so they started infiltrating and dug around.
Now, what they found might not be of "terrorist" nature, at least not yet, but they do not fancy taking chances.
Instead, they pulled the plug on the place, bloating it with accounts and increasing the attraction level for advertisment. And as we all know, an internet rumor spreads like wildfire. This time, the word was that ATS is the place to be if you want to discuss the Nibiru-Atlantean-Dulce-Chemtrail connection! omg w00t lolz!!!111

:bnghd:

I know it might just be my crazy brain making this all up, but hey, I keep seeing way farther-fetched stories than this...all the freaking time these days.
Besides, with or without the conspiratory parts of it the grim facts remain: ATS has taken a turn for the worse. Kids are taking over the place. The general tone and atmosphere in the boards are getting more hostile and childish.
ATS loses credit. People roll their eyes at the mention of it, and this time they might as well do it...I know I've begun doing it.

Even dear R.A.T.S is going bad. That place used to be like a cool shower when the heat of stupidity in the general boards got to hot to handle.
Now, the soothing breeze that place offered has become luke-warm...the crappiness is sneaking in there as well. Yey.

I won't say like many of the other drama queens that I'll quit!!! but I have already stopped coming here daily (that is a major change in behaviour when it comes to me!) and it just keeps getting longer in between.
I check from time to time what's new and quickly realize that all news are bad news.
ATS = All Troll Society.
I spy with my little eye something that starts with "Sell" and ends with "Outs".

And now for some constructive critisism:
Mods, get rougher, faster, tougher!
No more dupliacte threads!
Improve the search function so that we can truly say (in the troll's own language): "rtfm, use search or gtfo!"
Remove the flag and star system! "Applause" is the only valid way to show credit.
Stricter rules for new members until they may post threads, etc.
Advised age limit of 20+!
More boards with limited access (minimum 10 "applauses" for membership)!
Insert a built-in protection against one-liners (minimum character limit)!
Unleash a zero tolerance kick and ban campaign!
RECLAIM ATS!

That would be what I had to say this time around...

Like anyone cares, huh?
Well, welcome to the Rant board...

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Zero tolerance kick and ban campaign ??

Dear ole Raud, dont you know that's why alot of the older member's arent here anymore ??

They probably saw something completely retarded, said something they shouldn't have, and got banned.

Why should being an older member count for something ?? when it gets in the way of profits ??

I can't stand it either, being inundated with these naive preteens who got a computer for their 15th birthday, finding ATS after doing hundreds of searches on " Twilight". Posting about nonsense with absoloutely no filter applied.

do what I do Raud, ... not what I'd like to do mind you, but what I'm forced to do, .... go to these threads you despise, and reveal the true lunacy of them. These types of threads only continue if the masses allow them to. The criticism will also help you vent off some steam buddy, ... don't give up Raud, all hope is not yet lost, .....

I've even tried to get you in on a show with me ...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst
do what I do Raud, ... not what I'd like to do mind you, but what I'm forced to do, .... go to these threads you despise, and reveal the true lunacy of them. These types of threads only continue if the masses allow them to. The criticism will also help you vent off some steam buddy, ... don't give up Raud, all hope is not yet lost, .....

Dear IB...ol' Mutter mate.
Because of a medical condition I have I can no longer participate in moronic discussions.
Seriously, I get heartburns and have to take medication!

I've even tried to get you in on a show with me ...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Haha, you sick bastard!
Considering what ATS has become, I think it might just work!

Maybe you are right...not all hope is lost just yet!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
ATS Hasn't changed.

Just ignore the trolls and the kiddies who are out of school and you've got the same, great ATS that has been around.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

I do agree with what you've said and I think most on here have seen it happening and know that ATS is changed, whether it's admitted or not... we know.

I don't think that Marketing ATS as another facebook or youtube type site has helped really, although It's pulled in the numbers that the owners wanted... and numbers means money... and that's what any business wants.

It's tough on the members and It's sad to see it happening, but it is happening and will continue to do so.

As long as those who stay here at least make an effort to keep ATS relatively decent and worthwhile, we will continue to have at least a few decent threads here and there and some decent people to discuss them with.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by Raud

As long as those who stay here at least make an effort to keep ATS relatively decent and worthwhile, we will continue to have at least a few decent threads here and there and some decent people to discuss them with.

Perhaps, but I'm beginning to find actually working at my desk more entertaining than reading the boards lately, Or going to poetry readings, driving across town to watch the fat girls eat ice cream at walmart, just hanging out at the post office, cleaning out the trash in the back of my truck, learning how to weave a basket out of discarded plastic bags, etc....

Something has changed. uh oh.....it might be me!!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Interesting responses so far ...

Other than doing one thread opening post I haven't posted in over two weeks ... though that might be the norm for most folks it is by far the longest break I have taken since joining. Other than this post I don't see this break ending any time soon.

ATS changes all the time, everything does for that matter, including one's self. These days I find myself looking at the RP page and hardly find a reason to engage anymore. There is an internal shift in me going on, one that doesn't see much point on repeating myself any more, and we can all be grateful for that.
I suspect every member goes through this after a couple of years here.

There is some truth to the view that ATS' increased popularity has both positive and negative consequences to the ATS community. The latter is commonly perceived by older members ... when I joined the previous generation were complaining, when they joined even older members complained, and so on since the original members. Like I said, it is normal for folks to pine for the "old days" as long as they note that there were others who pined for even older days when they joined.

None of this is the fault of anyone mind you ... I'm not really sure there's any fault to assign anyway. Just the consequences of the natural progression/growth of a web community.

All we can do is as individuals is to choose to either participate or not ... in the wisest mantra ever uttered by mankind: "sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't."

Right, back to the shadows I go ... for now.

[edit on 28 Jun 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Thank you for your replies...

The only reason for me to miss ATS is you guys.

I'd hate to admit that I've "outgrown" ATS. I really don't think so. And of course previous generations of members have complained over members like me joining (when I check my earliest threads I do come across a few crappy ones). But it is the general tone, manners and atmosphere that has changed. This is not a notion I have, this is something that is as clear as day, not only on ATS but on most of the internet.
An unsound culture of onlineship is taking over and I don't like it one bit.

Sometimes, I think there should really be some sort of drivers licence for surfing the internet... There should at least be an age limit for ATS. Many forums have that. It would improve this site greatly, I'm sure.

Even though your most active domination of the boards might decline an itsy bit I hope I can still find you lurking around here for years to come...you know, for that time when I need serious help with something.

I'll try to keep my shine.
There is always BTS to hang out in.
The trolls don't seem to bother about this place...

There should be a miniature ATS-board in BTS.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Hang in there...

They'll all be back in class in a month or two.

TheAssoc.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

i totally agree with you. i used to check in every day but now the site has been watered down so much with shallow discussions i may look in every 3, 4, 5 days to see if its lifted its game. it hasn't.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
The number one problem with any site like this is, people have no earthly idea who they are really talking too. And can't know even if you put up a picture of every one.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Thanks for the support, you guys...

As of today, I thought I'd give ATS a chance for a moment.

This is what I found. :shk:
Seven bloody pages of it.

Vacation is going to be sweet.
Vacation from everything...

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Raud]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I used to read ATS every day looking for new info or just an interesting thread to educate myself, not so much any more. It's just one long troll argument nowadays. Its a shame really.:shk:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
No beer and no mutter make Raud something something...

Go crazy?

DON't Mind IF I dO!!!!!

But seriously.

Raud, buddy.

I feel you.

My care factor has waned.

I went to start two threads this week and decided I couldn't be bothered.

My last thread was a complete waste of space borne out of sheer frustration.

I'm tired of arguing with previously banned members who can't take a hint and keep coming back again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again...

But hey, I think we all go through this every now and then.

Sometimes it's good to take a break.

I hope you have a good vacation mate, forget about ATS, it'll still be here when you get back, hopefully with a fresh, relaxed mind.

[edit on 1/7/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I have been trying not to reply here but I think I am going to have my say on this one.

I have noticed trends in the way ats works.
If you look at any new thread it will be almost always mostly new members posting.
Why??
As a new ats member you are motivated to get points by posting so even a.....Hey thanks for that post counts.Not to us but to them.
My point is that we have all been new members b4 while having older members complain of how its changed.
It HASN'T....you the member have by graduating into an older more experienced member.
Fight the good fight boys and girls.
This is still a pretty cool site regardless.

Chad...I am in the same boat as you in that many times I type a post and then said why even bother.
The one thing about this site I like is its the same as real life....don't worry about what you get back...worry about what you give and let the rest slide like water off a ducks back.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Chadman...

You still know how to reach into my heart... *sigh*

We just have to remeber that you can never beat a retard; they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
I just can't let that happen (though there have been some close calls).

It's just that I've started to really hate some members. I think that is the main reason why I must stay away. I don't want to log in here to feel hate! ATS was all about love and respect...or maybe it wasn't but you get my point.
This hernia inside my gut doesn't need another one of these:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eef1669295ac.png[/atsimg]

reply to post by DrumsRfun

Though I understand to full extent what you are saying here, my brother in drums, I must disagree with one thing:
ATS has sunk in quality while it has increased violently in quantity.

The most telling example of this would be how hard it has become to follow a thread.
The far-in-between times when I see a topic that is not old/lame/stupid it is very hard to follow the actual discussion due to the massive trolling and space-wasting, meaningless replies.
Let's say a thread that makes for a valid discussion is made of 10 pages, 8 of those will be stuff you'll just scroll past.
This was not the case a year or so back.
It hasn't to do with me having "graduated" (though I appreciate the flattery!), it has to do with a new type of internet culture (oooh, that made me sound like an old, old, old fart!). It's not only the bad posts, it's also the general hostillity that wasn't here before.

I hereby declare this thread:
"The-general-complaining-about-ATS-not-being-what-is-was-while-imagining-it-would-mysteriously-"change back"-if-we-only-whine-loud-enoguh thread"

Happy ranting!

[edit on 2-7-2010 by Raud]

[edit on 2-7-2010 by Raud]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
This thread appeals to me.

I have been a user of this site much longer than when i joined up.

And only the best topics seemed to get posted on the front page, and lasted a bit longer than a day on there.

Like you said, the stars dont seem to mean much these days.

would be nice if only truly decent threads were on the front page.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raud
ATS - What happened to you?

perhaps after 3 years your insight into some matters extends past the understanding of some of the newer ATSers these days.

that, and the MSM is reporting on mostly crap these days.

i joined ATS a couple years before you, and can definatley relate to the sentiment fueling your "rant". there are some disruptive and sometimes downright rude character assasination attempts made at op authors i notice.

since i started posting again recently my threads and posts were met not with any skepticism or legitimate arguement at all.

rather i have recieved such things like:

"Before i even begin to discuss the OP, i would like to establish your sanity" - anonymous ignorance (a.i.)

then unfortunatley for their little ego bending attempt i release some choice recalcitrant Magniloquence in a rebuttal to their nonsense as to remind them we are engaged in a grown up conversation in the thread.

i've seen more posts to the effect "this is the stupidest thread i've ever seen" or "stupidest op ever" in the last few months than i ever did in my few first years i think.

there are truly some rude semi-intelligent, sub-standard posts and threads here on ATS.

honestly, i think some of these threads are authored by some sort of agency or agencies to disrupt the flow. people are not this stupid.

i recently authored a thread called "this thread is stupid. no it's not. it's the stupidest thread ever" just to discuss and review stupid.

but, there are those among us who know stuff.... and share stuff... (check out my signature).

Patrick Stewart

now, if i could exert enough free will and energy to turn that "w" upside down and re-arrange those letters...

I'm Star Trek Capt.

sometimes some truisms extend past what certain people's imaginations are currently capable of integrating.

good rant!

End Transmission,
ET

p.s. Don't get too discouraged. ignorance isn't as contagious as it is curious.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Yeah, sure it's gone downhill.

Too many banned members.
Too many members just seen it all before.
Too many members become Mods and don't post like they used to.

But it's still the best of it's type and still generates true quality at times, just not as often as it used to.

I get the impression that many new members have such rigid pre-conceived ideas that they refuse to consider alternative views to their own and just argue rather than consider and debate.
And I know at times I have been just as guilty.

But the repetition is so boring.

But I will stick with ATS as I have a few friends here and the plusses still outweigh the minuses.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
ET, Freeborn, thank you for your input.

Seems like this thread has gotten a new meaning; it attracts us "ol' homies" who often collaborate(d) out in the threadlands.
Comforting to think of...makes me remember why ATS still matters to me (which is also why I authored this thread to begin with: something I hold sacred was being mistreated).

It feels better after some ranting and knowing there are more like me out there (this is why I came to ATS; I could smell my own kind).

Hopefully, ATS will return to its old standards in about three years.
We'll just have to wait and see.

And may I say, Freeborn; I've always been a huge fan of your avatar.

See you wonderful people around the boards

top topics

<<   2 >>

join