It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sixth Sense Technology--Projection Interface Device--MUST SEE!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
HOLY CRAP ATS!

I'm sorry for the caps, but this is RIDICULOUS.

6th sense technology will CHANGE OUR WORLD FOREVER!

This incredibler new device, which will be available within 5 years, will be cheaper than our current most expensive cell phones (current build cost while in development is roughly 350$.) and will totally revolutionize the way we see the world and connect to things.

Please watch the video to have your mind blown!

Here is a link to read further.

Basically, Sixth Sense is a mini-projector coupled with a camera and a cellphone—which acts as the computer and your connection to the Cloud, all the information stored on the web. Sixth Sense can also obey hand gestures, like in the infamous Minority Report.

However, instead of requiring you to be in front of a big screen like Tom Cruise, Sixth Sense can do its magic—and a lot more—everywhere, even while you are jumping hysteric over Oprah's sofa.

The camera recognizes objects around you instantly, with the micro-projector overlaying the information on any surface, including the object itself or your hand. Then, you can access or manipulate the information using your fingers. Need to make a call? Extend your hand on front of the projector and numbers will appear for you to click. Need to know the time? Draw a circle on your wrist and a watch will appear. Want to take a photo? Just make a square with your fingers, highlighting what you want to frame, and the system will make the photo—which you can later organize with the others using your own hands over the air.

But those are just novelty applications. The true power of Sixth Sense lies on its potential to connect the real world with the Internet, and overlaying the information on the world itself. Imagine you are at the supermarket, thinking about what brand of soap is better. Or maybe what wine you should get for tonight's dinner. Just look at objects, hold them on your hands, and Sixth Sense will show you if it's good or bad, or if it fits your preferences or not.

Now take this to every aspect of your everyday life. You can be in a taxi going to the airport, and just by taking out your boarding pass, Sixth Sense will grab real time information about your flight and display it over the ticket. You won't need to do any action. Just hold it in front of your and it will work.

The key here is that Sixth Sense recognizes the objects around you, displaying information automatically and letting you access it in any way you want, in the simplest way possible.

Clearly, this has the potential of becoming the ultimate "transparent" user interface for accessing information about everything around us. If they can get rid of the colored finger caps and it ever goes beyond the initial development phase, that is. But as it is now, it may change the way we interact with the real world and truly give everyone complete awareness of the environment around us.

Watch another video here.

Thoughts?

Can be used on ANY surface, can interact with ANY surface. This is the only real reason I see a benefit in cloud computing.

~Keeper

[edit on 6/26/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Controlling technology with gestures is already being done but Im guessing we'll see more of it. I really doubt this device with the projector thing will catch on, I'd much rather have a small device I can hold. I also dislike the name and this trend towards interweaving technology in your life, people already spend too much time on their cell phones imo...

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM
Controlling technology with gestures is already being done but Im guessing we'll see more of it. I really doubt this device with the projector thing will catch on, I'd much rather have a small device I can hold. I also dislike the name and this trend towards interweaving technology in your life, people already spend too much time on their cell phones imo...

Did you watch the video? There is nothing that is out there right now for consumer use that is like this.

Besides i'ts going to be very small, no bigger than your average black berry or iphon device once it's completed.

Holding the device would hinder it's capabilities, especially for the projection part, the beautiful thing is that it can display anything onto any surface, and instantly make it interactive.

Think of educational possibilities alone, it's very profound.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

We already have a "sixth sense" in life.

It is the combined five senses, touch, taste, smell, hear, and sight, we were born with, working in tandem, through our cognitive ability to interpret.

We see this type of stuff in movies all the time now.

From Minority Report to The Island it is thrown in there to tease us.

Intel "Minority Report" Touchscreen Display

The Island: Wish There Was More

Quote from : Wikipedia : Extrasensory Perception

Extrasensory perception (ESP), also commonly referred to as the sixth sense, involves reception of information not gained through the recognized physical senses but sensed with the mind.

The term was coined by German psychical researcher, Rudolf Tischner, and adopted by Duke University psychologist J. B. Rhine to denote psychic abilities such as telepathy and clairvoyance, and their trans-temporal operation as precognition or retrocognition.

ESP is also sometimes casually referred to as a sixth sense, gut instinct or hunch, which are historical English idioms.

The term implies acquisition of information by means external to the basic limiting assumptions of science, such as that organisms can only receive information from the past to the present.

Parapsychology is the study of paranormal psychic phenomena, including ESP.

Parapsychologists generally regard such tests as the ganzfeld experiment as providing compelling evidence for the existence of ESP.

The scientific community does not accept this due to the disputed evidence base, the lack of a theory which would explain ESP, and the lack of experimental techniques which can provide reliably positive results.

If of course you believe in that of course it is supposed to work.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Sense

Senses are the physiological capacities within organisms that provide inputs for perception.

The senses and their operation, classification, and theory are overlapping topics studied by a variety of fields, most notably neuroscience, cognitive psychology (or cognitive science), and philosophy of perception.

The nervous system has a specific sensory system or organ, dedicated to each sense.

While I find the video fascinating, the use of that name, "Sixth Sense" is nothing more than a clever marketing ploy, to me, since I have noticed a rise of the "conspiracy theory" genre in the mainstream.

We see the History Channel talking about "Alien History of Earth", and whoever else, tapping into our genre, not to assist us and or take us seriously, but to utilize a proper marketing strategy, to squeeze out money.

Personally, the use of the name, while a marketing strategy, is insulting.

What is "cloud computing" because I've never heard of this tothetenthpower?

I think of this when I hear those two words together.

Super Mario Galaxy - Rolling in the Clouds

Think I will remain skeptical until you have fleshed out this thread a lot more.

New technology is of course fascinating and interesting to me.

But when the world is going down in flames due to the elite stealing all of our money, ushering in the cashless society, I really could not give a damn.

The Reason Conspiracy Theorists Can Never "Win" Against the Elite

[edit on 26-6-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Finally have gotten internet that is not dial up.

That video is amazing. She said though in 10 years maybe. So I guess it will be longer then 5 years like you said. Great video S&F. Make way for augmented reality

[edit on 26-6-2010 by Maddogkull]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Cloud computing, is kind of scary in a sense, practically it's a wonderful idead.

Cloud computing is Internet-based computing, whereby shared resources, software, and information are provided to computers and other devices on demand, like the electricity grid.

Cloud computing is a paradigm shift following the shift from mainframe to client–server in the early 1980s. Details are abstracted from the users, who no longer have need for expertise in, or control over, the technology infrastructure "in the cloud" that supports them.

[1] Cloud computing describes a new supplement, consumption, and delivery model for IT services based on the Internet[2], and it typically involves over the-Internet-provision of dynamically scalable and often virtualized resources.[3][4]

It is a byproduct and consequence of the ease-of-access to remote computing sites provided by the Internet.[5]

Source

Cloud computing was just an idea until like 10 years ago. Now Microsoft wants to develop a PC platform using it. I dont' agree with their ideas, but CLOUD computing would make information more easily available in larger ammounts.

I agree the name is clever marketing, but you have to admit that it will certainly integrate us more with the WWW and fundementally change our use of technology.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
Finally have gotten internet that is not dial up.

That video is amazing. She said though in 10 years maybe. So I guess it will be longer then 5 years like you said. Great video S&F. Make way for augmented reality

[edit on 26-6-2010 by Maddogkull]

Hmm, There was another video from a year or so ago where the main inventor dude said 5, but that's ok, even if it is only in 10 years.

It's also going to be open source, therefore you could program your build and make it do crazy ridiculous things.

This is the kind of technology that I am excited about.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
That kind of access to technology is not actually a sixth sense. That's a brilliant and slightly twisted metaphor, suggesting it's to do with a sense that comes from the human user.
It's cool though. I wonder if there would be an app to shine on new women that I meet to make sure they are not crazy before I date them

If they have that guitar playing video game turned into an app for this people would be playing chords on their own forarms.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

I'm not sure if it's this video, but they show one where he walks up to a person, and word cloud appears on them, with everything that is that person in regards to online information, whether it be social network common friends, or interests, based on that persons device's preferences.

Very cool either way, I really other than the Cloud Internet aspect cannot see a negative to this sort of device in real world usage.

For paramedics, having access to all relevent data which they can project on the ground if need be, to crisis situations where everybody can pull up emergency procedures guides, to anything else possible.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I like it.
Looks very promising.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Here's another demo of the product.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Originally posted by CREAM

Did you watch the video? There is nothing that is out there right now for consumer use that is like this.

Besides i'ts going to be very small, no bigger than your average black berry or iphon device once it's completed.

Holding the device would hinder it's capabilities, especially for the projection part, the beautiful thing is that it can display anything onto any surface, and instantly make it interactive.

Think of educational possibilities alone, it's very profound.

~Keeper

Yeah I watched the video and I dont personally know anyone who would wear a projector.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

But it's SO small.

It's not like it would be on all the time either, it would only project onto things that you direted. And the size will be drastically reduced by the time the fnished product comes out.

I dunno man, seems like a slight fashion risk is certainly worth it for that level of connectivity and interfacing.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Sounds a whole Hell of a lot like connectivity between the Internet and Wi-Fi.

The problem with this is the ease of use is a surrender to slavery.

Information is easily accessed as well as easily hacked.

Mirror Worlds: or the Day Software Puts the Universe in a Shoebox...How It Will Happen and What It Will Mean

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/419a8453409d.jpg[/atsimg]

Amazon Review :

With evangelical fervor, Gelernter's book-length essay paints a future where software technology, now isolating people, brings them into impersonal proximity through "mirror worlds."

These computer models of reality let users descend to greater depths of detail at will, meet other explorers, and generally get the "big picture" of what's going on.

However, Gelernter's own appraisal of the value of computers seems inconsistent and extreme: he claims they are valuable just sitting unused on the coffee table but then insists that the uninitiated will be forced to "sink or swim" (i.e., learn to use computers) in the information sea computers create.

His casual style gives the book the feel of a lecture transcript, and his metaphors (e.g., "jettisoned floating landscapes in tuple space") demand considerable hardware and software knowledge to link them with reality.

For collections emphasizing computer science.

- Doug Kranch, Ambassador Coll. Lib., Big Sandy, Tex.

The book was done back in 1991 and Gelernter had a huge fan.

Well, I would not call him so much as a fan, but an obsessed individual.

And he resides in prison now, maximum security, you might remember him.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Theodore Kaczynski

Dr. Theodore John "Ted" Kaczynski (pronounced /kaˈt͡ʂɨnski/; born May 22, 1942), also known as the Unabomber (University and Airline Bomber), is an American mathematician and social critic, who engaged on a mail bombing spree that spanned nearly 20 years, killing three people and injuring 23 others.

He was born in Chicago, Illinois, where, as an intellectual child prodigy, he excelled academically from an early age.

Kaczynski was accepted into Harvard University at the age of 16, where he earned an undergraduate degree, and later earned a PhD in mathematics from the University of Michigan.

He became an assistant professor at the University of California, Berkeley at age 25 but resigned two years later.

In 1971, he moved to a remote cabin without electricity or running water, in Lincoln, Montana, where he began to learn survival skills in an attempt to become self-sufficient and where he lived like a recluse.

He decided to start a bombing campaign after watching the wilderness around his home being destroyed by development.

From 1978 to 1995, Kaczynski sent 16 bombs to targets including universities and airlines, killing three people and injuring 23.

Kaczynski sent a letter to The New York Times on April 24, 1995 and promised "to desist from terrorism" if the Times or The Washington Post published his manifesto.

In his Industrial Society and Its Future (also called the "Unabomber Manifesto"), he argued that his bombings were extreme but necessary to attract attention to the erosion of human freedom necessitated by modern technologies requiring large-scale organization.

The Unabomber was the target of one of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's (FBI) most costly investigations. Before Kaczynski's identity was known, the FBI used the handle "UNABOM" ("UNiversity and Airline BOMber") to refer to his case, which resulted in the media calling him the Unabomber.

Despite the FBI's efforts, he was not caught as a result of this investigation.

Instead, his brother recognized Ted's style of writing and beliefs from the manifesto, and tipped off the FBI.

To avoid the death penalty, Kaczynski's lawyers were court appointed, but he eventually got rid of them because they wanted to plead insanity and he did not believe he was insane.

Once it was sure that he would be defending himself on national television the court entered a plea agreement, under which he pleaded guilty and was sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole.

Theodore Kaczynski has been designated a "domestic terrorist" by the FBI.

Several anarchist authors, such as John Zerzan and John Moore, have come to his defense, while holding some reservations over his actions and ideas.

David Gelernter found out the hard way that some people will do anything.

Quote Wikipedia : Theodore Kaczynski : Casualties

After a six-year hiatus, Kaczynski struck again in 1993, mailing a bomb to David Gelernter, a computer science professor at Yale University.

Though critically injured, he eventually recovered.

Another bomb mailed in the same weekend was sent to the home of geneticist Charles Epstein from University of California, San Francisco, who lost multiple fingers upon opening it.

Kaczynski then called Gelernter's brother, Joel Gelernter, a behavioral geneticist, and told him, "You are next."

Geneticist Phillip Sharp at Massachusetts Institute of Technology also received a threatening letter two years later.

Kaczynski wrote a letter to The New York Times claiming that his "group", called FC, was responsible for the attacks.

So the current Internet connecitivity might not be where it is if not for Ted.

Or is it the TED is your original video?

One has to wonder if they are marketing everything after E.S.P. and Kaczynski.

Careful of what you wish you because you might just get it.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

TED is where I found it originally, there are several other videos floating around.

Your fears of censorship are certainly warranted, but in reality it would be no different than what is available today, there would still be static hard drive space and servers, the "cloud" would simply be another branch of the internet, where everything is connected and anything uploaded expends the cloud further.

I would go as far as saying that limiting the information available to the device would do the overall experience a diservice. It would obviously operate better with way more information.

I don't really see how hacking the device or limiting the information would do anything that would benefit somebody.

Yes, it would use Wi-Fi, from what I've read the new fiber optic connections currently being installed all over the US would be plenty of infrastructure to run it properly without delays.

I also think that this sort of device might help make Wi-Fi and free internet in general a reality, as more people require it for the tech to work there will be pressure to have widely available and a cheaper and cheaper rate.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

awsome tech, in about 5-10 years.

my fear is that they will start having implantable tech along these lines. i don't want to see that. imagine if you get the implantable, and society suffers a major setback. when happens when you reject the implant? It will happen eventually.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

awsome tech, in about 5-10 years.

my fear is that they will start having implantable tech along these lines. i don't want to see that. imagine if you get the implantable, and society suffers a major setback. when happens when you reject the implant? It will happen eventually.

It will eventually, but I think this device is a perfect blend. It's interfacing without actual implantation, which is perfect IMO.

I would not want implants either, although the video makes reference to it at the end.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

It is not a fear of censorship in the least tothetenthpower.

It is the usage of this "access" to the Internet being used against us.

When everything is so easily "connected" the cost is freedom.

In order to connect to that level our freedoms will have become lost due to the digital network, where our cars sync up through OnStar, triangulating to the closest cell phone tower, and the free Wi-Fi at McDonalds.

Then we are into the pre-crime nonsense where they predicative issues fly.

Quote from : New Technology Can Be Operated By Thought

ScienceDaily (Nov. 9, 2007) — Neuroscientists have significantly advanced brain-machine interface (BMI) technology to the point where severely handicapped people who cannot contract even one leg or arm muscle now can independently compose and send e-mails and operate a TV in their homes.

They are using only their thoughts to execute these actions.

...and...

Quote from :

Quadriplegic's mind able to control matter Mind reading a success for quadriplegic

Matthew Nagle had only to imagine that his arm was moving a cursor across the computer screen -- and the cursor obeyed.

Paralyzed from the neck down but connected to a computer by a wire implanted into the top of his brain he used his thoughts to draw a rudimentary circle on the video monitor to pick up objects with a robot arm and even to play simple video games -- chatting with researchers while he did so.

BrainGate Lets Your Brain Control the Computer

This will eventually get the system into our heads whether we like it or not.

Minority Report Commercials

Quote from : Wikipedia : Precrime : Precrime

The term "precrime" refers to events and motives before an offense has been committed.

In pop culture, the word "precrime" was popularized by the 2002 movie Minority Report which was adapted from science fiction writings of author Philip K. Dick (1956 short story "The Minority Report"), as well as other sources: in the film the plot concerns determining whether or not someone is planning to commit a crime.

The term precrime has also been used in relation to techniques for so-called "profiling" to determine likelihood of future offenses being committed.

Who the Hell wants to be convicted before ever committing a crime?

I am not speaking of considering a crime but of being within the vicinity.

It will come eventually down to the simplicity of people giving up their freedoms.

For anyone who knows the history of Hollywood and the U.S. Government in regards to propaganda driven initiatives during WWII, or who pays any sort of attention to the subtle details of the technology advancement in movies this will be something to you may have already noticed or come across in some regard to and pondered about it yourself.

Watching two movies in particular, Johnny Mnemonic and The Matrix, and any of the Star Trek shows or movies with the Borg in them you will get my meaning of the term "Jacked In" and assimilation to the Hive Mind.

Keanu Reeves plays the starring role of two movies people are controversial heroes, which get a device inserted into the back of their heads in order to access information, a faster way to assimilate knowledge.

Think of it if you will of reverse psychology through programming that in order to defeat the "evil" (insert your bad guy here) you have to be willing to accept the fact of "being plugged in" to an information database, the backbone being the now named Internet, which used to be named the ARPANET, created by D.A.R.P.A.

Johnny Mnemonic (Theatrical Trailer #1)

...and...

Matrix - I Know Kung Fu

No thanks.

The cost is allowing Government physically into our heads.

And I trust them in there as far as I trust shoving a rattlesnake up my butt.

And that it will not bite me.

For those of you who have not the historical knowledge nor the attention to detail when it comes to technology, you just might be in for a wild ride when following the White Rabbit down that funky Wonderland rabbit hole within this post. When it comes to technology it is like a magnet to me because it always catches my eye and as a curious and knowledge seeking teenager Popular Science and Popular Mechanics kept my occupied for hours on end through reading and re-reading articles and then cross-referencing those articles at the library in regards to the civilian, military, or international corporations.

This was so I could learn more about their applications, and as well the historical origins of the devices and the current uses and through all of that it usually assisted me in seeing where the technology was heading.

If you know any of these particular technologies and you love watching movies this will be simple to follow, if not or you disagree, please feel free to refute me.

If you have seen the new movie Gamer yet, or you know anything about the old Roman Flavian Amphitheatre, and the gladitorial games, the many types of battles, and the bread and circuses of politics then you are going to love this post and how the "gamer" is being targeted.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/001270952ad2.jpg[/atsimg]

"Gamer" - Official Trailer [HQ HD]

Quote from : Wikipedia : Gamer (Film)

Gamer is a 2009 science fiction thriller film written and directed by Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor.

The film stars Gerard Butler as an unwilling participant in an online game in which participants can control human beings as players.
Gamer was released in North America and the United Kingdom on September 16, 2009.

The film is rated R for strong violence, sexual content, nudity and language.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fb37c783dfb6.jpg[/atsimg]

Gamer Official Movie Trailer (HQ)

Quote from : Wikipedia : Gamer : Plot

In "a near future", mind-control technology has taken the world by storm.

Ken Castle (Michael C. Hall) has revolutionized the gaming industry with his invention of self-replicating nanites.

The nanites colonize in the brain, gradually replacing the existing brain cells and allowing full control of all motor functions by a third party.

When it comes to our minds it is our last refuge against invasion.

Because when they can physically get into your mind by you accessing the system, they can upload just about anything they want to, or download just about anything they want to, convict you of some arbitrary nonsense, and if the "mind crime" is high enough, shut off your brain.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2447475e78a1.jpg[/atsimg]

I can only speak for myself but I do not want to be a puppet either physically or digitally, because we are not unfortunatley in control of our Government's, they are in control because of our lack of political knowledge.

The Boy Who Cried N.W.O. : Are You Watching Puppet or Puppet Master's?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I see where your coming from, but this technology would be a VERY small stepping stone toward something like Minority Report, I don't even think you can put them in the same category.

It's also in it's infancy as far as the technology goes, the input/output would be the same of any normal hardware such as a PC, just a different means of interactivity.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

I see where your coming from, but this technology would be a VERY small stepping stone toward something like Minority Report, I don't even think you can put them in the same category.

It's also in it's infancy as far as the technology goes, the input/output would be the same of any normal hardware such as a PC, just a different means of interactivity.

~Keeper

What your original post covers though, the video about the new technology, is exactly how they get everyone hooked on this crap, the "newest" technology, to keep up with the "Joneses" in the community.

Digitally speaking, it is like becoming an alcoholic or drug addict, after a while.

And when you're not keeping up with the "Joneses" you get the DT's.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Delirium Tremens

Delirium tremens is an acute episode of delirium that is usually caused by withdrawal from alcohol, first described in 1813.

Benzodiazepines are the treatment of choice for delirium tremens (DT).

Withdrawal from sedative-hypnotics other than alcohol, such as benzodiazepines or barbiturates can also result in seizures, DT and death if not properly managed.

Withdrawal from other drugs which are not sedative-hypnotics, such as opioids, marijuana, coc aine etc. do not have major medical complications and withdrawal is therefore not life threatening.

When caused by alcohol, it occurs only in individuals with a history of alcoholism.

Occurrence of a similar syndrome due to benzodiazepines does not require as long a period of consistent intake of such drugs.

Prior use of both benzodiazepines and alcohol can compound the symptoms and is the most dangerous, especially if untreated.

In the U.S., fewer than 50% of alcoholics will develop any significant withdrawal symptoms upon cessation of alcohol intake, and of these, only 5% of cases of acute ethanol withdrawal progress to DT.

Unlike the withdrawal syndrome associated with opiate dependence, DT (and alcohol withdrawal in general) can be fatal.

Mortality was as high as 35% before the advent of intensive care and advanced pharmacotherapy; in the modern era of medicine, death rates range from 5-15%.

Digital dependence upon electronic barbituates and the pusher is Government.

And the corporations who supply them the dealers are giving you glimpes.

Of your digital cell and locking you into "buying" the next platform of imprisonment.

One has to wonder if it's called "keeping up with the Joneses" because you're "Jonesing" for the next digital fix to your brain instead of your vein.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join