It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus did not die on cross, says scholar

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Jesus may not have died nailed to the cross because there is no evidence that the Romans crucified prisoners two thousand years ago, a scholar has claimed.

Well... There you have it. This guy wrote an essay on it, and according to him. The Romans didn't crucify hardly anyone during that time.

The legend of his execution is based on the traditions of the Christian church and artistic illustrations rather than antique texts, according to theologian Gunnar Samuelsson.

He claims the Bible has been misinterpreted as there are no explicit references the use of nails or to crucifixion - only that Jesus bore a "staurus" towards Calvary which is not necessarily a cross but can also mean a "pole".

You can read the rest of it here : Link.

Now please be civil. Tell us what you feel and think about it.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This article can turn many people to Islam then. Muslims believe Jesus to be the Messiah and that he did not die at all. I would love to read this after Harry Potter is over.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I cant remember exactly what show or movie i saw, right I hear ya, movie? but it said he was hung, they said it a few times, like stressing the statement they had made.

well so maybe he is right, or maybe this entertainment media took the idea from his.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

I remember reading that to just a few days ago.
They said it is mentioned several times.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
well

now Christians freaks will come here and say

ISLAM AGENDA!!!

@#$ all religion

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

We will see...

I would think that to be rather ignorant what the author found to be fact.

A devoted Christian himself.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I think it is very interesting that this topic comes up here every few years. Was it a cross, or a pole; was He nailed or tied up? Did He die or was he found close to death and spirited away? Did He take a boat with Mary to France? It's always fun to speculate since none of us were there and they apparantly didn't keep acurate records back then. But it should create a decent discussion. Good luck

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Muslims believe Jesus to be the Messiah and that he did not die at all.

Sorry but, Muslims don't believe Jesus was the Messiah. They teach he is a prophet.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Meh. I don't buy it. Tacitus, the greatest of Roman historians, was born only about 20 years after Jesus died, and he wrote about the place in Rome where crucifixions were done, for instance.

Crucifixion as a means of execution long predated the Romans. It was quite a common way to execute criminals or other undesirables in the ancient world. The Romans used it a LOT.

About 70-some years before the birth of Jesus, the survivors of Spartacus' army were crucified after the final battle, 6000 of them, lining the Appian Way from Rome to Capua. Even if the information about Jesus being crucified is scant, odds are pretty good it's how it was done. It makes a good educated guess.

[edit on 6/25/2010 by LifeInDeath]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
There is material evidence that the Romans crucified people, they found a nail still attached to a bone fragment from that very time period.

en.wikipedia.org...

This guy makes his claims from the Bible?? How can he state that there is no evidence when there is??

Here is what he says:
"Mr Samuelsson said: "That a man named Jesus existed in that part of the world and in that time is well-documented. He left a rather good foot-print in the literature of the time.
"I do believe that the mentioned man is the son of God. My suggestion is not that Christians should reject or doubt the biblical text.
"My suggestion is that we should read the text as it is, not as we think it is. We should read on the lines, not between the lines. The text of the Bible is sufficient. We do not need to add anything."

First Jesus is not mentioned by any historian of the time, and is only present later in works of Christian mythology.
Then the man mentions he believes Jesus is the son of God?? And that the text is "sufficient" when he tries to add some stuff that clearly contradicts the Bible??

Clearly this man is an idiot...

Or he has a theory and is afraid to speak so he makes his apology to the press and says Jesus is the son of God, and the theologians at the university will forgive him for having such revolutionary ideas as not being nailed on the cross.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by aboxoftrix

Sorry hunni. You're way off the chart. They believe he is both a prophet and the messiah. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Ill believe anything he says after he shows me his autopsy report...

Anyone can say anything they want about someone who lived 2000 years ago and if you find them credible you will believe it..its all subjective its all matter of opinion, i dont see how what this man says changes anything.

~meathead

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

Well... You tell that to the Swedish guy then.

He apparently did a whole study on it.

When people look at your reasoning the first thing they might say is, "were you there " or something. ( No ofense )

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

The ancient Greek, Latin and Hebrew literature from Homer to the first century AD describe an arsenal of suspension punishments but none mention "crosses" or "crucifixion."

Mr Samuelsson, of Gothenburg University, said: "Consequently, the contemporary understanding of crucifixion as a punishment is severely challenged.

He says the bible does not really say much about it.

He makes his point by refering to the age this happened where he says are no signs anyone got placed on a stick.

Mr Samuelsson said: "If you are looking for texts that depict the act of nailing persons to a cross you will not find any beside the Gospels."

and also this.

Nor does the Latin word crux automatically refer to a cross while patibulum refer to the cross-beam. Both words are used in a wider sense that that.

The main reason he keeps referring to the bible is to defends his own faith.
Probably most of all, to himself.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Least we forget the cross is a positive sign.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/02abbe4253cb.jpg[/atsimg]

The cross is also the Crux constellation

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/38de62eee814.jpg[/atsimg]

Positive atomic charges give thier energy away, just like light radiates away from it's source.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/186142d7cfee.png[/atsimg]

[edit on 25-6-2010 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

It's funny! After the quote from this guy, then you state: "Well there you have it." As if this is the true Gospel.

It is not only funny that you say this, it is mostly sad that so many are decieved.

This is a news flash! After Yashua's (Jesus) ressurection it is recorded that he showed his disciples where the nails had pierced his flesh.

What is it going to take his coming in flaming fire before some to be convinced that the Holy Bible is truth?

I sure don't want to be on the receiving end with those who scoff at and mock the Holy Word of God and the Lamb of God who was crucified and died for the sins of the world.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Good article. Check out wikipedia, the meaning of the Greek word Stauros

Jehovah's Witnesses for years have believed that Christ died on a stake or tree.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by townio

Jesus/Jeshua must have been mentioned in some writings from the time.

I base that on a couple of documentary series some time ago called, "Jesus the Man" and "The Life and Times of Jesus" in which historians showed where references and reports from the time are made.

As an example, they included a lengthy record from a person who had been present at the family's Festive meal where Jesus is said to have turned water into wine. The report said when he was asked by his mother to fetch the wine, he gave everyone wine instead of only the wealthy, and watered down old wine to the plebs... which is a different spin on the 'miracle' of turning water into wine.

Recently in another documantary about Jesus's Family it spoke about the records from his family. Such things as how James was older and the son of another man, as were the older sisters, etc.

If we understand the hebrew concept of marriage in Jesus's time we get a clearer picture of why Mary was considerd a 'virgin', and how the family unit came to be that we know of.

There is far more information from ancient sources of the day that show the real story has been modified somewhat over the millenia.

reply to post by dusty1

Yes. It was quite normal for people to be hung/fastened/staked/nailed to trees or any other obvious post, etc, throughout history in every culture prior to and alongside the Roman ways.

If the hill Jesus was supposed to have been 'crucified' on had no trees on it as we are led to believe, then I see it is highly possible he was made to drag a pole to the hilltop.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by Tayesin]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Muslims believe Jesus to be the Messiah and that he did not die at all.

isnt jesus seen as a prophet in islam ?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

They believe he is both. Which I would agree that he's a prophet. Because he never fulfilled the Messiah prophecies.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join