It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A slinky answer to the oil leak?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   

A slinky answer to the oil leak?

tvnz.co.nz

However Kiwis Simon Moore and Dan McElrea say they have come up with the answer and it's about as Kiwi-can-do as it gets - based on the common slinky.

The idea came from a product they designed to contain water under pressure for a garden hose and now their company Puku, is working flat out on the concept.

Central to the rupture, is that the broken oil pipe has a jagged top which nothing will seal.

And that's where the Kiwi entrepreneurs think they have found the solution.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.youtube.com
www.youtube.com
www.facebook.com
www.youtube.com

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
This is truly ingenious. It's called a "helical jam" and was inspired by the good old slinky toy.

It was featured on our national news here in New Zealand this evening and the PASSION in the guys' eyes was so touching. They were really gutted because they KNOW they have the solution but they can't get through to anyone at BP to tell... and the submission list is clogged up.

See for yourself - there are a couple of videos linked above plus a Facebook awareness page link, too.

I think this is a winner. What say you??

tvnz.co.nz

[edit on 24-6-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoorfNZ

This is truly ingenious. It's called a "helical jam" and was inspired by the good old slinky toy.

It was featured on our national news here in New Zealand this evening and the PASSION in the guys' eyes was so touching. They were really gutted because they KNOW they have the solution but they can't get through to anyone at BP to tell... and the submission list is clogged up.

See for yourself - there are a couple of videos linked above plus a Facebook awareness page link, too.

I think this is a winner. What say you??

tvnz.co.nz

[edit on 24-6-2010 by MoorfNZ]

How are they going to jam it into the pipe?

The pressure and the properties of the oil are not going to make this an easy feat.

If it was that easy they would have been able to make the top hat work.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I say brilliant. I like this idea and am curious to learn more. Thanks for sharing

I keep thinking that something along the lines of a giant, mondo type clothes dryer vent hose would do the trick. There simply needs to be a way to "steer" the oil to the surface in a contained fashion, the siphon/pump into tankers. This eliminates need to constrain extremely high pressure or further damage to LMRP or well shaft pipe/casing.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Still say usa needs the worlds biggest hydrogen bomb ever made to fix this.

Obama has still to announce this.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
It works a bit like the old finger-traps, I think.

Sometimes it needs people "outside" of the industry to think in ways that those inside the industry are unable to do due to their training.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I'm not what you'd call an expert on this type of thing, but it seems like it has the possibility to work...

Though this opinion is as valid as one on quantum physics would be, I suppose.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I'm still wondering why more "outside-the-box" thinking isn't considered. The "oil industry experts" seem to be narrow in their solution set. Like the old expression: "If all you have is a hammer, all your problems look like a nail."

I've been pondering the idea of attaching a device (think closed/upside down this) to a very long cable and feed it down the pipe to the very bottom where the well protrudes the earth, then open it. (It could be made of carbon fiber or kevlar to withstand pressure.) This could at least limit flow and not put any additional pressure on drill pipe/casing.

My .02¢

[edit on 25-6-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I believe this is the only viable solution left.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9078d922fcd2.jpg[/atsimg]

The well would be shut indefinitely.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by xEphon]

top topics

join