It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jamaican 'drugs lord' Christopher "Dudus" Coke arrested

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Police in Jamaica say they have arrested suspected drugs lord Christopher "Dudus" Coke on the outskirts of the capital, Kingston.

So, they finally got the guy that caused all the hub bub in Jamaica back in May, about time i say!

Officials say he was detained at a roadblock accompanied by a Christian pastor, who said Mr Coke was going to the US embassy to hand himself in.

The Jamaican government wants to extradite Mr Coke to the US to face charges of drug and gun trafficking.

Attempts to capture him in May led to clashes in which scores of people died.

Mr Coke, 41, is accused of being the leader of the notorious Shower Posse, which US authorities say operates an international drugs and guns network.

The gang has also been blamed for numerous murders in Jamaica and the US.
Christopher "Dudus" Coke (file image) Christopher "Dudus" Coke is wanted in the US

Jamaican police commissioner Owen Ellington said in a statement that Mr Coke was arrested by policemen "acting on intelligence" who were manning a vehicle checkpoint along the Mandela Highway.

Mr Ellington said Mr Coke was being held in a secure facility and that "legal proceedings will commence immediately"

news.bbc.co.uk...

ALSO..

Mr Miller, an evangelical preacher, reportedly facilitated the surrender of Mr Coke's brother, Leighton "Livity" Coke, earlier this month.
Reuters Armed Jamaican police tried to seize Mr Coke in May

"This afternoon.. I spoke with all my senior officers and I asked each individually if they were party to any discussion or agreement for the bypassing of the legal processes for Coke to be turned over to US Marshals," said Mr Ellington.

"Each officer responded in the negative. I would like to have Mr Miller in so we can have discussions with him and we would advise him to have his attorney accompany him."

Earlier, Jamaican Information Minister Daryl Vaz told the BBC's World Today programme that the pastor had indicated he was taking Mr Coke to the US embassy "to waive his rights, to be extradited".

The operation to capture Mr Coke last month centred on his stronghold in Kingston's Tivoli Gardens.

More than 70 people were killed in four days of gun battles between police and armed young men.

I think the BOLDED part is the worst of this whole situation...(bolded by me)

[edit on 22-6-2010 by baddmove]

[edit on 22-6-2010 by baddmove]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
WOW weird, I posted a reply to a thread here and now it's gone!! WTF!! tried clickign it from my ATS but nope Error404....weird

Anyway. Glad they got this guy. Now I hope it will give Jamaica chance to get on with things, and build up good and strong.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Anyway. Glad they got this guy. Now I hope it will give Jamaica chance to get on with things, and build up good and strong.

I agree with you there, maybe Jamaica can become a fun tourist spot again..was getting kind of iffy there for a while..

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
most of Jamaica problems was overshadowed by other news.

Glad they got him and hopefully things calm down for awhile.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Yep..same here..

sure would be nice to go there someday soon..ahhh..the Rum..

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

hehehe, after the 2 months I just spent in Kingston. I am HAPPY to be away from the Rum. and I LOVE RUM. but this stuff is tooooo nice if you know what I mean!!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Here's an update for anyone interested...

news.bbc.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

join