It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoaxing images - The 4 step guide

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
reply to post by HeavenlyDivine

I see the difference between step 3 and 4 versus step 1, (and step 3 looks better I think, as someone else said), but what's the difference between step 1 and step 2?

I dumbed down the quality. Probably won't make a difference on normal viewing. Was because the UFO I added was crap quality. If you zoomed in you'd have seen a massive difference in distortion around the UFO compared to the image.

Also to alot of people saying its a crap hoax, I guess it's really subjective. I designed something which would possibly fool me if I saw it. Different people are probably taken in by different things.

Technically the 'hoax' is perfect. Not to toot my horn but you'd struggle to find a fault with it, period.

Even if it was a genuine photograph I had, you'd say it was fake. That's how the brain works.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Zaiger.....

Here's one my first attempts.

I put a UFO in this picture of you that you sent me.

I reckon it's not so bad & I should keep practicing.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1957c8ac9991.jpg[/atsimg]

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not
reply to post by zaiger

Zaiger.....

Here's one my first attempts.

I put a UFO in this picture of you that you sent me.

I reckon it's not so bad & I should keep practicing.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1957c8ac9991.jpg[/atsimg]

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

Second

Third line

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   

HeavenlyDivine.....

Here’s a couple of my recent threads you might find interesting.

I note Zaiger’s commentary regarding the capability to edit EXIF data with a decent EXIF data app, as also covered in my iPhone thread.

Would The iPhone UFO App Fool Members of ATS?

UFO Hoaxes:Adobe Photoshop Forensics – Sleuths, Truths & “Fauxtography”

Kind regards
Maybe…maybe not

[edit on 20-6-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

nice work you can't even tell you pasted boarats face on the real image

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeta Reticulan

Zeta Reticulan.....

I like that!

It's weird..... Magritte-ish.....

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by epitaph.one
its kind of disgusting how many people on here at ATS can be fooled by photoshop. I mean they are obvious fakes, but people are always fooled by it, i mean, how... i dunno.

I wouldnt have been fooled by the 4th photo. looks shopped. even without knowing it was.

The trick on here is to put in the TITLE Best Evidence Yet of a UFO
then all the diehard believers will star and flag till the cows come home
EVEN if its debunked on the 2nd post

[edit on 20-6-2010 by wmd_2008]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Well i think as much as idea and thought of the subject is appreciated, let's face it. ATS will not have to worry about any fake UFO photos comming from the OP anytime soon.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
Well i think as much as idea and thought of the subject is appreciated, let's face it. ATS will not have to worry about any fake UFO photos comming from the OP anytime soon.

I would bet my house if i changed the exif data and actually wanted to I could have fooled half this section with that very photo.

You only have to look at the likes of Bill Meiers photos to realise most people don't take much convincing.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   

HeavenlyDivine.....

Step 4.

So, yeah... Discuss?

"So, yeah... Discuss".....

OK.....that's a shocker.....truly appalling!!!!

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 22-6-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Can someone explain the hoax to me? I mean, I see in the OP he's got two excellent shots of a flying saucer above a neighborhood (even though the second image is a little blurry), but I thought this was going to be a tutorial on how to hoax images?

I'm at a loss for words, excellent flying saucer photos though. Maybe you could elaborate on your close encounter instead of misleading people with hoaxes. I'm sure we'd all love to hear your story.

(lulz)

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

hi - a number of stand alone apps and plug ins for image editing software allow EXIF editing - many leave no obvious trace that it has been edited

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

hi - a number of stand alone apps and plug ins for image editing software allow EXIF editing - many leave no obvious trace that it has been edited

Ignorant ape.....

As per my other thread as linked to above.....I agree.

The EXIF app’s I downloaded & used for my other thread were Opanda IExif 2.3 & Opanda POWERExif Professional. With these I can…..

- Select the EXIF data fields

- Right click to bring up an advanced menu

- Access an edit function wherein I can edit the fields in the EXIF data file

This is consistent with the information on their website:

THE BEST CHOICE TO EDIT EXIF DATA IN IMAGES

”Opanda PowerExif is a professional tool to edit Exif data in images. As the best assistant to edit & modify images information for photographers, image pickers, PowerExif allows to edit & modify all Exif data freely”

www.opanda.com...

Note: Please use the slider bar (above) to view the EXIF data edit control window

So as you say, we must also be very circumspect about jumping to conclusions based solely on conclusions derived from EXIF data.

It is also wise to be careful about the GPS / A-GPS data when it is available in the EXIF data files, as shown in my report in the Sydney UFO thread.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

I understand that and am very aware of this. But it is still usefull. Many amatures are not aware of this. Many times you confront someone on the fact their EXIF data is stripped or a bit questionable, it kind of catches them.

@ MMN - even that software has flaws. There is a photo in Gray Area that appears to have no EXIF data when run thru that software - however Flikr.com presents the EXIF data.

[edit on June 22nd 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by HeavenlyDivine

Originally posted by zaiger

I would bet my house if i changed the exif data and actually wanted to I could have fooled half this section with that very photo.

You only have to look at the likes of Bill Meiers photos to realise most people don't take much convincing.

Well yes and no. There are poeple here that can find a UFO that they think is real in a picture of a empty night sky. However these members are known for the iddiotic level of belief. So yes you could even alter the exif data to clearly say I MADE THIS IN PAINT.NET and you could write in red letters accross the photo to say THIS IS A HOAX and some members would still believe it is true.
But most of ATS would not buy a fake pic even if the exif data checked out. With the right lighting you would not even need to alter the exif data, you would just have to print the photo then take a photo of the photo and you would have good exif data.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The hard truth of the matter is that photos alone have never been a good source of information about UFOs. People have been manipulating photos for over 100 years.

A UFO photo or video doesn't prove a single thing. They're just curiosities, unless they come with:

* Multiple images of the same thing taken by different people at the same time, none of whom are anonymous.
* Other physical evidence.
* Physical evidence that is determined by experts not to be mundane.
* Verification by people in charge.
* Availability of all the evidence to independent researchers or even the general public.

Then maybe you've got something. Otherwise, nope.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join