It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is suppose to happen when you meditate?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Hello Everyone,

So I have read plenty books and articles on the internet about meditating and I myself have been meditating for about 9 months. It usually takes me 10 minutes to control my thoughts and go blank, then with every inhale of breath I take I feel like im floating higher and higher and then with every exhale I feel myself floating downwards a little bit, so its like a constant motion but eventually I do feel my hands and arms, and legs almost as if they are weightless... by this point I have been meditating for about 20 minutes. If at this stage I open my eyes it does take me a minute or two to collect my thoughts, my body feeling heavy and my mind being active leaves me in a slight state of confussion. But I never see any visions and after 20 minutes of this, I usually fall asleep.. How do I stop myself from falling asleep? What is suppose to happen when you meditate? Am I doing something wrong? Any advice and or experince would be appricaited. Thanks!

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
What are you trying to achieve through meditation? THAT is the question, my friend.

It depends on the type of meditation you are doing, as well.

If you accomplish quieting the mind, controlling your breathing, and not passing judgment on your thoughts, then you're doing well.

Visions are not necessary.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by bvproductions

Hmmmm good point!! I never thought of that, I always assumed that If I meditated I would come to an epiphany of some kind. What I do those is focus my breathing on taking in positive energy and when I exhale Im releasing all of my negative energy, my pint up anger from through out the day as so it does not ruion my tomorrow. ( No body likes to wake up grumpy! LOL) When I was with out a job I would focus my energy on bringing a job my way, I had several interviews but couldnt get passed the interview process, so the night before my next interview I focused my energy on actually getting the job ( I guess trying to will it to happen.) But the next day I woke up confident, ready, and aced that interview and thats how I have the job Ihave to day as a medical records clerk at a big hospital here in tampa.. but I always thought that there was more to meditation...

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I don't fall asleep. I sit up as straight as I can and it keeps me very conscious.

I don't think anything is supposed to happen. lol

The process of watching and observing your own thoughts...your own place in nature and your surroundings...taking time to observe your own mind.
I typically use the method of counting my breaths.

I do see things, and used to get lost in that, and was meditating more and more just TO do that, but that's a trap. Best if you start seeing things, IMO, to just observe that too, and let it pass.

I have other methods that I can't really explain, that I've discovered over time. I lose track of time, and when I am done, I'm pretty darn high. I've smoked really GOOD weed before, and it is often very similar to that sort of relaxation I feel, and I feel content and rather high, but totally lucid.

I don't really try for that sort of effect though, it just happens. I stay pretty high to tell the truth, and I don't take ANY drugs.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I have yet to try and meditate but have always been interested..

I have heard most people starting out have trouble staying awake so I don't think you are doing anything wrong there...just may take more time....

I'll check back to see if anybody posts some tips..

I constantly have trouble focusing and clearing my mind of thoughts...

My mind is literally racing with thousands of thoughts constantly...

The only thing that has ever helped me focus is one time i took aderal and I felt so focused.

That was like 4-5 years ago. and Haven 't done it since. I wonder if that is why all my friends in college would take it and go to library for 12 hours at a time and then ace all their tests...

2nd. ) the Ganj...MJ......It actually does help me focus....not initially, but after I come down about 30 min later I can focus pretty well the next 3 hours or so...

It helps me focus and stay on task when I'm making music...

Side effect is my short term memory is iffy sometimes...it may take me a day to remember a thought from yesterday.

So while I may continue to partake, I would like to be able to achieve focus on my own without any substance or any kind.

good topic even though there are others but o well....It beats doom and gloom any day.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Ive tried sitting up but its so uncomfortable to me that its hard for me to focus... so I always lay down, its literally the only way I can achieve my state that I described in my post. Sitting up will start to cause my spine to hurt so then I slowly start to hunch my shoulders but thats uncomfortable too then my arms actually feel heavier when sitting up and meditating and I get frustrated someone told me I could lay down and meditate so thats what I started doing and it started to work in different way then sitting up, but then I fall asleep if I dont catch myslef. LOL

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by StarrGazer25

As one poster said, sitting up keeps you awake. though I do start to see wierd spots and forms with my eyes closed.

it seems to take away from the process, but i still enjoy the time i spend doing it.

good luck.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Laying down isn't the ideal position.
You've got to work on your posture, otherwise you'll keep dozin' off.

If any of would like some pointers, shoot me a U2U...
I've been meditating for about 9 years.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Nothing and everything.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

Yes dreamer I know that exact feeling! When I first started to meditate Thoughts would run through my mind, like what someone said to me that day , or if the laundry needed to be done or how much money I could spend on groceries ... I got pretty aggravated because I couldnt control my thoughts, then I started to focus on my breathing and my heart beat. Taking long deep breathes through my nose counting to 5 and exhaling through my mouth doing that for along periode of time I started to train myself on not thinking about anything but my breathing, after awhile, I would just do the breathing and ignore the counting and started focusing on taking in positive energy, I would imagine in my mind blue vapers coming into my body through my nose down my throat, into my arms and lungs past my turso and into my legs as I exhaled I imagined red vapers leaving my body from my feet up my legs stomache, arms, and lungs and then eventually out of my mouth... thats when I started to feel the floating sensation and the wieghtlessness in my legs and arms... just some of the ways I focus if that helps you

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

IMO if you are going to lay down, you should try corpse position - just as prescribed.

I used to fall into that trap of needing to be comfortable to meditate. Truth is, when you first start, 30 seconds is fine. 1 minute is fine.

I had a wooden chair, without a back, that was great when I started.
I was doing solar yoga as well, standing, just staring at the setting or rising sun. 5 minutes at first, then later 10...15...

I seem to have an attachment to wood when I mediate. I like to sit on the deck, over my pool, under my favorite tree. I think having a place you feel good vibes with is more important than feeling comfort. IMO.

I don't cross my legs. I have some nerve issues in my ankles, so I typically sit with my feet together and my knees out. I really didn't KNOW if this WAS a meditation 'position' or not. I just fell into it, and it worked for me.

Here are some you might try: www.whitneystewart.com...

I happened one day on the Dalai Lama answering someone's questions. His best meditation advice was to sit as straight up as you can. I thought, well, I like him, and he SHOULD know if anyone does, so I tried it. This was after a lot of meditation in which I slumped. And I think that was ok to.

But anyway, I started sitting up very straight, and it is very 'right.' And I started, all along in there, to hold my hands, and even my fingers within my hands, in certain ways. And then one day, I heard someone say something about mudras. I looked them up. WOW, I was doing that already.

There's really nothing unnatural about meditation, except that I suspect in the West we might try to force things...we might focus on results.

Main thing is to just be, and be ok with being, wherever you are, right when you are, however you are. It's ok to just be...ok being.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I usually sit on a chair. I never had a problem with falling asleep. Usually when I get to that point, ill feel a tingling sensation down my spine and neck. Maybe get a good nights rest before you do it that way you already got your sleep =]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
First of all, if you're wondering what supposed to happen when you meditate, you won't be meditating--meditation isn't an evaluative state of mind.

Formal meditation techniques become yet another mind-based activity that the ego wills and then evaluates. That is why people like Krishnamurti and Tolle don't prescribe anything other than observing. This can be done quietly while sitting or when engaged in activities. If done when active, you focus on the activity itself and your sensory perceptions of the activity without concerning yourself with outcomes. This is similar to Karma Yoga.

The problem with meditation methods wherein you are trying to stop your thoughts is, even if you're successful, there's no way to integrate the experience into your life as a whole. The better route is to be the silent watcher of your thoughts, letting them go where they will, but observing that they are a product of your egoic self. There will always be times when the watcher status can't be maintained, but with practice, the percentage of your time spent as the watcher increases. This has all the benefits of formal meditation and more.

Beware of people who tell you that you must study certain techniques for years and/or study under the tutelage of a guru. People who have spent great effort, money and time on spiritual practices have an ego-attachment to those practices, and that attachment is akin to a hobby or lifestyle that the ego identifies with. See the paradox. Just be the silent watcher. Be in the now.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by yuefo

very intresting, I guess now that I know how to control my thoughts I can now push myself to try and get the same results when I sit up. I find something very peaceful about breathing and listening/feeling my heart beat. I think constantly, Im always obsessing over everything so to take even 20 minutes out a day to relax and stop my constant thoughts its very refreshing once Im done.. I actually feel like I took an hour nap in less then 20 minutes of no actual sleep at all. Do you think what Im feeling as far as weightlessness that im raising my body's vibration? If not how do you do that?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
wow, sorry, totally wrong thread.

[edit on 19-6-2010 by hadriana]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarrGazer25

If not how do you do that?

I think that meditation isn't a matter of "doing" but a matter of "being." If you accept the present moment as it is, for what it is, without evaluating it, then you're in a good place. If you need more than that, recognize that it is the ego that needs, that looks for results, that evaluates, that is cognitively active.

The more you analyze, the further away you drift from presence and the more identified with the ego you become. It's a simple thing to accept what is, right now, without analyzing if you remember to be the watcher. You don't even have to stop the thinker as long as you're watching.

I don't think I'm giving you the answer you were looking for, but I hope you find something useful in it. Good luck StarrGazer.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarrGazer25
what is suppose to happen when you meditate?

meditate long enough and in the wrong position could result in a involuntary bowel movement.

how long and in what position?

i don't want to ruin the fun of personal discovery of ones' personals....

happy meditating!
ET

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

If you're after some type of spiritual experience, then the best way to go about it, is to practise energy awareness exercises. You seem to have mastered meditation, so maybe now it's time to move on to the next stage. I recommend you buy the book Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce. It will tell you everything you need to know and what to do and what not to do.

Good Luck

[edit on 19-6-2010 by kindred]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Just wanted to post an answer to the OP, what is supposed to happen in meditation. I've read the other comments about why he wants to meditate and how to, etc. But I didn't notice anyone really explaining what is supposed to happen.

I have a brother who is a teacher of this stuff, and ran across a website of his once (I never was interested in his eastern philosophy, and religious teachings and stuff so never talked with him about it) but took the time to read a few of the articles he had posted on his website.

One thing, that I find interesting that he mentioned, and I could never find anywhere else s the macabre. It's been several years since I read it so I don't remember everything clearly. But there is a point when everyone involved with meditation comes to a stage where they get involved with a macabre vision, as he called it, and perhaps learned from others.

After you reach the macabre stage then you are really into meditation. Afterwards you can try to become one with the spirits and they give you visions and stuff.

This is one reason I keep very far away from it. All meditation of this form is deeply steeped in ancient eastern religion ceremonies, and no matter how you try to candy coat what you're doing, it's getting you in touch with unclean wicked spirits.

Anyone experience the macabre yet while meditating?

Man, I did a little google search to try and see if I could find his website, I couldn't find it, but I did find the article I remember reading that he made, so obviously he has posted it, or someone has posted it somewhere else:

www.angelfire.com...

There it is. My understanding of this is very different that most people that go into it though. And I don't recommend it, you're just playing with fire, and if you do, you're gonna burn yourself.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/abda67730106.jpg[/atsimg]
The practice of meditation is about what Albert Einstein called "The Folding of the Fabric of Space and Time". Take a piece of paper. Mark a point A and a point B. They are separated by space, three inches, and it takes time to travel from point A to point B. The points exist in two dimensional space and the limitations there of. Now we introduce a higher dimensionality. Three dimensionality. In this higher dimensionality we can fold the paper. Thus we can join point A to point B. No separation. Point A and point B are joined as one point. Thus through the "Folding of the Fabric of Time and Space" [meditation] we enter into the Oneness of All Things. Also known as Quantum Entanglement. In that state of Oneness of All Things you will comprehend that I exist in your sub-consciousness, the same as you exist in my sub-consciousness. Thus there is a Quantum Entanglement uniting every soul with every other soul.

Google Video Link

Another factor whilst meditating is that the usual Beta Brainwave activity, of daytime consciousness, is replaced by the Alpha Brainwaves [dual hemispheric consciousness often referred to as schizophrenia] and then the Theta and Delta Brainwaves [hallucinogenic] usually only experienced during REM [rapid eye movement] deep sleep. This is the reason why you feel sleepy after meditating for 15 minutes. Looking into darkness releases a brain chemical called "melotonin" which puts the body to sleep, in preparation for the release of '___' "dimethyltriptomine", the most potent hallucinogenic known to exist, during that sleep time. It is thus advisable to meditate when you intend to sleep. During that sleep time you will dream. Ultimately we are not the physical body. We are first and foremost the soul. Thus spiritual, not physical. The body is just a temporary vehicle for the soul as it explores the infinity and eternity of the Cosmos. Thus the dream state is where we will all ultimately reside. Indeed, the daytime reality itself is also no more or less real than is the dream state. The dream state [celestial immortality] is the ultimate destiny of the soul. Ultimately we transcend the reincarnation process. Thus, meditation if practiced properly, will lead you into sleep and the dreams there of. I recommend that you maintain a hardback A4 size note book where in to record your dreams. Some call such a book their Magical Grimoire or Dream Diary. Sleep is extremely important for the health of the mind and body. It improves our immune system by releasing from the pineal gland, the third eye of the brain, the most powerful of anti-oxidant '___' "Dimethyltriptomine" and its precursor "melotonin". Without sleep we slowly die. Without sleep we slowly go insane. I recommend that persons sleep eighteen hours in every twenty four. After a dream you will wake up. So get up. Use the toilet and maybe drink a little water. Then immediately lay down again and return to sleeping. Repeat that process for as long as you can. Ultimately you will know when you have had sufficient sleep, and thus literally unable to sleep, you will want to get up and be about the affairs of the day. One must find a balance between the needs of the soul and the needs of the body. I am by nature a nocturnal person preferring to be awake at night. I find that sleeping during the day makes for stronger dreaming.

Google Video Link

My recommendation is that you use music as a place to channel the mind during meditation. For this purpose I create my own music. Medicine Music. My personally created music is about truth and beauty and righteousness. The usual music going around is unfortunately corrupted by sex and drugs and violence. The music I create will channel your consciousness, acting as a conduit or door way, or portal, to other civilizations in other time and space coordinates, communicating on the same frequency as yourself. This is the original meaning of the word radio, RA-DEUS, "True God," or radius of a circle, and the word radar. Derived from the name of the Hindu goddess RADA [GuanYin] the beautiful consort of Krishna [the enlightened devotee]. Meditation is the method by which the soul comes into communication with the Celestial Immortals. Meditation sets into operation your inner psychic radar system. The power of Meditation + Mirrors + Music is incredible and without limitation. Seek and you shall find. Knock and the door shall be opened. Ask so that you might receive. Know ye not that ye are immortal ?

Google Video Link

> SHIMONO <
> Link 01 Link 02 <

A very interesting book which I recommend that you read is THE HOLOGRAPHIC UNIVERSE by MICHAEL TALBOT published in 1991 by Harper Collins. ISBN 0-586-09171-8.

The only time that we are actually awake is when we are asleep. The only time that we are actually alive is when we are dead. O death where is thy sting ? Meditation awakens our soul to the knowledge that we are immortal beings, having the potential freedom to explore all eternity and all infinity. So mote it be. Amen.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/79c45b9368fd.gif[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b880a63b9df4.gif[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d869634eac1a.gif[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/501c572aeeb2.gif[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2140a5f1d328.gif[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4bd5b37b25ae.gif[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/451bc01c1940.gif[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ab4836759f84.gif[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a64736162b22.gif[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6fb20eb97dec.gif[/atsimg]