It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is BIG, Carbon Tax To Vote Before July 4th

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
There is just one problem with a carbon tax that could bite the government in the butt. That it turns into a property tax. According to Article 1 sec. 9 it says this.

No capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the
Census or Enumeration herein before directed to be taken.

If they lay a carbon tax in this country it would be very easy to turn it into a property tax. And that would make it unconstitutional. Property taxes are direct taxes. And putting carbon taxes into play would seem to be unconstitutional.

And remember this. Carbon taxes are not income taxes. The 16th amendment does not apply.

en.wikipedia.org...'_Loan_%26_Trust_Co.

[edit on 19-6-2010 by ntech]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

S&F OP.

I'm disappointed in almost every comment of your post. People saying things like:

"While cap and trade is a good idea, it's being done wrong"
"Not enough time worrying about OTHER pollutants than CO2", etc.

Is everybody here still asleep?

1) Carbon Dioxide is not a pollutant. It is as necessary as Oxygen. Plants need it to produce Oxygen for us. Are you prepared to let TPTB tax Oxygen next? Remember the same putz's who are destroying the earth are the ones taxing you and blaming you for destroying the earth.

2) About 150-300 years AFTER the Earth's temperature rises, ALL THROUGH HISTORY, carbon dioxide levels then begin to rise, not the other way around. In otherwords, it would be safer to say Global Warming CAUSES greenhouse gasses, not the other way around. What causes the earth's temperature to rise? That's up to debate.

3) If greenhouse gasses were causing global warming by rising to the upper atmosphere and sealing in heat, then we'd expect the upper atmosphere to be warmer than it was before. AGAIN, this isn't happening - in fact the opposite is true, IE the upper atmosphere is actually cooler than it used to be.

3) While Al Gore might be breaking up, the ice sheets aren't. There is more Arctic ice now than 5 years ago, and the politicized scientists fudged global warming data to hide the decline of average world temperatures. Remember Climategate? Hello? Remember your intuition before climategate proved they were lying?

Earth Changes are normal, people. Don't let them convince you it is your fault and tax you for it. Follow the money and it becomes clear. Make your peace with loved ones and yourself and enjoy whatever time is left.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
We're a carbon based life form, I think carbon tax is completely outrageous!!!

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Actually this is a good idea since many people will not be able to afford it we can reduce the population too.

One needs to ask where does all this extra money end up, does it disappear into corporate pockets or pet projects of our elected that once again funnels into corporate pockets? This reminds me so much of South America where corporate giants using World Bank funds (that indebted nations) to build hydroelectric plants while the populace footed the whole bill and paid extremely high electrical cost just to make great profits for the corporation and a few of the locals very rich. This power that in many cases was used to light only one light bulb in their houses enslaved them to stand for hours just to pay their bill in cash at very limited pay stations that could also be a full day of travel.

The answer is not to dream of new ways to tax us, but to reduce spending….. why is that so hard to understand? So a person might pay 24% Fed, 8% state, 8% sales taxes but then sees energy cost inflated 2 or 3 times what it should be doesn’t leave much left over, and even with the poor…how many can afford a 2 or 3 times living expense that they have right now?

Remember that energy is the foundation to everything and if energy cost doubles then EVERYTHING doubles in cost.

[edit on 19-6-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LurkerMan
the only thing more ridiculous than this would be taxing our tax's.

i wouldn't be surprised....

they do allready , or dont you have sales value tax etc etc,after your wage tax?

most wages are taxed multiples of times if you think about it ....

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Whats also sad with this carbon emission tax is this: The National Highway Traffic Safety Admin, issued a 939 page report claiming that Obama's new regulations would shave one part per million from the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere by 2100.
This new Regulation implemented when broken down even further suggests this: The new reg's would result in an estimated total decrease of .0004 degrees Celsius ( or .0072 degrees F.), by 2100. In other terms, it would save maybe, just maybe 1/1600th of the levels suggested by the liberals that we are to be petrified of.
In fact, the decrease would be so insignificant that its equal to 1/45th of the margin of error in the past CENTURY's temp., change.
So in other words, we would be taxed for absolutely NOTHING! This carbon tax is political jargon designed to steal our money!

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
i think they might have smurfed up having so many troops in foriegn lands because if this goes down like it says double all energy bills gas hitting 7 dollars to help clean up bps f- up and sharp rise in prices because of new taxes from this bill. i see straight up revolt. now you know why they have such strict gun laws in dc

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Even if this passes, it won't exist for me, you know what i mean? ;-)

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

We voted for change and thats just what we got. The whole world believed Obama would change every thing for the good. Now we all know the changes he ment.He is not even at the mid term yet. The banks have robbed us and now we have to pay them for the privilege of doing so. There are more people being made homeless through no fault of their own than ever in our history. Most of our troops are abroad fighting in False Flag wars while our country is in chaos. Oh yes, Change is what he promised and change is what we got. Obama, the great deciever. Every time l see him smile its as if hes laughing at us all and thinking, SUCKERS.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

Just thought ld let you all know. Tony Hayward is sailing on his super dooper yacht off The lsle of white in England. lts on sky news,

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
For those of you who don't know what cap and trade or a carbon tax is all about, check out this great video for an explanation.

www.storyofstuff.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
The US is addicted to foreign oil. Like any addict, it resists getting off its drug.

The addict goes through denial. ("Heroin cannot hurt me. I don't have a problem" or "There is no such thing as global warming. I am not hurting anybody by driving an F150.")

The addict also dreads going through the painful ordeal of withdrawal.

The addict must quit to save itself. Te cap and trade legislation is not perfect and will certainly cause pain to some people.

However, we cannot keep on going the way we are going. We cannot invade Middle Eastern countries to fuel our urge for oil fixes. We cannot allow our environment to go down the toilet.

Stop being a junkie! Get help!

I am hotpinkurinalmint and I am an oil addict.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Cap And Trade is EXACTLY what ENRON got busted for ... trading carbon credits as a commodity but in the end never generating any actual money and going bankrupt .. this is the governments way of creating some absurd commodity and charging the !%! out of us as a tax. But like Enron, the items being traded and sold either won't exist or be undervalued .. thus the Gov will tax us for nothing, regardless of carbon usage.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
i hate to say it, but hotpinkurinalmint is right....
everyone loves to talk about "taking responsibility" but it seems no one ever actually wants to do it. They can memorize stats about historical temperature changes, but cannot grasp the concept of our disproportionate use of resources.

just think of the man hours needed to create a microprocessor, plastic housings, monitors, and an internet, just so we can come online and bitch about politics.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

It is feasible for the US to eliminate its dependence on foreign oil, while helping the environment in the process. People and industries will not cut their oil use on their own, however. They need a gentle nudge or push.

As you stated, the US has been able to accomplish many things including putting a man on the moon and creating the internet. The US can create greener technologies, but capital has to be funneled towards those technologies. Yet nobody will invest in greener technologies as long as oil remains cheap or if there is a risk oil will get cheap. Cap and trade keeps oil prices high.

We do not just need new technology, but people like YOU and ME have to start cutting our energy usage. People like you and me engage in many wasteful practices like driving our cars around on short trips, not using public transport, cranking our air conditioners up in the summer, cranking our heaters up in the winter, and leaving the lights on. People like you and me have to get smarter, too.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
4th of July our Independence day. Ironic that they would pass it then. Or not. This might go down as the day we loss our Independence.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I have nothing against a carbon tax. If Americans arent willing to pay fair market rates (ie non-subsidized) for the energy they consume, then they sure as hell shouldnt be complaining the effects of the over-use of such under-valued energy.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

thank you for that.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Carbon tax? Why not a Methane tax or Radiation tax? How does one measure a CARBON `element` and tax something literally invisible to the naked eyes?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join