It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bubble gum boy says he always chews Hubba Bubba after court stoush

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Nice point. Try using those terms around an anthropologist.

Second line.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by seenitall

I totally agree.
But charge him for the assaults, drugs or whatever else he has done,

but blowing a bubble is not a crime in my eyes...

If I blew a bubble at you down the street would I be sent to jail??

Are Judges an elite breed????

I seem to remember recently a few judges have been charged with various offences....

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Look the point is he didn't just blow a bubble at a magistrate. He was charged and the bubble was the tipping point.

If you've ever been to court you would know that you must show respect for the judge/magistrate, because in the end if he/she doesn't believe you are remorseful or even care, you're going to get the harshest penalty. A sentence of 30 days really isn't that long considering a guy that size could easily kill someone with a few punches.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by seenitall]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A
That’s a bit snobbish isn’t it?

It's no more snobbish than the actions of a Judge who sentenced a person to 30 days in jail for blowing a chewing-gum bubble at him.

I will now demonstrate how I have infinitely more common sense than that judge:

When someone blows a chewing-gum bubble at me, I ignore them. Problem solved.

Its too bad the Judge lacked the cranial capacity to understand the ramifications of his childish retort. Obviously the Judge lives too high in his ivory tower to understand what it means to sentence someone to 30 days in jail.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I think your warhammer avatar really highlights how disconnected you are likely to be from the criminal world.

Its a grubby, #ty, manipulative place where ego rules. Not this time.

I'm done with this thread though, I think I've made my point.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Let’s turn it around, how far do you go? Is it ok for him to swear at the judge? Give him the finger? Get his arse out? Where do you draw the line and say that disrespect deserves some sort of sanction?

To be clear I’m not saying 30 days is the correct sanction, only that there is too much support, in this thread and in general, for those who show no respect for others. I do however support the judges right to apply these kinds of sentences just as the defend has the right to appeal them (as he did).

reply to post by tezzajw

It's no more snobbish than the actions of a Judge who sentenced a person to 30 days in jail for blowing a chewing-gum bubble at him.

In what way is it snobbish? You are making a judgement based on and who and what this person is, the judge made his decision based on what he did. That is in no way snobbish.

When someone blows a chewing-gum bubble at me, I ignore them. Problem solved.

Good for you and in the street that’s probably the right thing to do but you are totally missing the point. It is not that this person showed the judge no respect it is that he showed the court of law no respect; that is contempt of court.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by seenitall
I'm done with this thread though, I think I've made my point.

Yeah, thanks for repeatedly stating that a person should spend more than a month in jail because they blew a chewing-gum bubble.

It really helps to exemplify why the planet has little hope for progress.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
You forgot the assault part.

Bye

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by seenitall

BS, he got the 30 days JUST for blowing the bubble...

Please argue about that, not if he was a mass murderer of a speeding driver...

Our precious judges feel they are better than a normal man...

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

BS, he got the 30 days JUST for blowing the bubble...

No he got 30 days for contempt of court.

Our precious judges feel they are better than a normal man...

No they feel that when someone is facing charges as serious as assault they should take it seriously and show some respect for the court.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   

To be clear I’m not saying 30 days is the correct sanction, only that there is too much support, in this thread and in general, for those who show no respect for others.

Then what is the correct sanction, in your opinion for a person who blows a chewing-gum bubble?

I do however support the judges right to apply these kinds of sentences just as the defend has the right to appeal them (as he did).

So you support a decision to sentence someone to 30 days jails for blowing a chewing-gum bubble, even though it may not be the correct sanction... right...

It is not that this person showed the judge no respect it is that he showed the court of law no respect; that is contempt of court.

Why does a court of law need to be shown respect???

What ultimate authority grants a court of law the ultimate authority to judge and sentence someone to jail for blowing a bubble???

Blowing a chewing-gum bubble may be disrespectful, but in no way should it be the catalyst for a person to be denied their free liberty for 30 days.

Sometimes I have to wonder if we really do live in the year 2010. I can always count on ATS to prove just how screwed up society can be.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

No he got 30 days for contempt of court.

No, he got 30 days for blowing a bubble.

You keep on believeing whichever illusion you need to, if it makes you feel better about the decision.

No they feel that when someone is facing charges as serious as assault they should take it seriously and show some respect for the court.

Prove that by blowing the chewing-gum bubble, that Zukanovic wasn't taking his assault charges seriously? He's allowed to show disrespect while treating his charges seriously.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Then what is the correct sanction, in your opinion for a person who blows a chewing-gum bubble?

Maybe sticking him in the cells over night, whatever gets the message across.

So you support a decision to sentence someone to 30 days jails for blowing a chewing-gum bubble, even though it may not be the correct sanction... right...

I support the ability to sanction those who are in contempt of court with whatever means are deemed necessary because there is a mechanism in place that determines what is disproportionate as it did in this case.

Why does a court of law need to be shown respect???

Because it is the means through which society keeps ultimate order where informal means fail.

However everyone/thing deserves respect until otherwise evidenced. It should be a matter of course that someone on such serious charges shows respect.

What ultimate authority grants a court of law the ultimate authority to judge and sentence someone to jail for blowing a bubble???

The hundreds of years worth of democratic legislative development that itself formalises thousands of years of social rules and norms.

No, he got 30 days for blowing a bubble.

No he didn’t; if he had blown a bubble in the street outside would he have been locked up? No because blowing a bubble is itself not illegal, however if you change the context and put him in a courtroom facing charges of assault then it becomes contempt of court. Just as if a child chats with his mates, there is nothing wrong with that and he won’t be punished; but if you change the context and put him in a physics class then he’ll be punished for disrupting the lesson. Context is everything.

Going back to my last post, where do you draw the line?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
This judge has completely abused his power, I believe he took it personal and made this guy pay way beyond what is reasonable. At most the bubble blower should have received a fine, or just thrown out of court, but instead this idiot judge has sent him to jail where it's always a possibility that he could get raped or try some drugs and get hooked, jail is dangerous and no one should go there because they've blown a friggin bubble in court. If you can't see this is wrong then you have to be blind.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

what people like you seem to not understand is that there is civility and decorum requirements in public places.

You can't walk into a Delhi and urinate on the cheese
You can't login to ATS and start calling everyone obscene names

They're called rules, and if you break those rules, you need to be made an example of.

I'm willing to go as far to make a bet that this guy was warned a few times before given his sentence.

This isn't justice fail. This is OP Fail. Sensationalism and hyperbole to prove your point is never, ever, ever, the way to go.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

And being respectful is not being a slave, it is just being respectful.

Being a slave is respecting tradition and power over natural justice, common sense and the rights of the individual. A judge should know that this sentence was unjust and the fact that he handed it down is proof that the guy was totally correct to hold him in contempt.

I do when that six year old grows up to be a 19 year old thug with no regard for anyone but himself

Yeah, right. Where's the link?

Do us all a favor, stop being afraid of phantom nothingness whipped up by tabloid newspapers and start living your life, you'll feel better and have a happier life, I promise.

Originally posted by Snarf
They're called rules, and if you break those rules, you need to be made an example of.

All I hear is "Do what your told or else!!". I left that rubbish behind when I turned 18 and went out in the world to stand up on my own feet. If you want to remain an adult sized infant, that's your business, but you'll find you get treated as exactly that.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Being a slave is respecting tradition and power over natural justice, common sense and the rights of the individual.

What is natural justice? My definition says the judge was right.
Common sense suggests that chewing gum in court is disrespectful.
And the rights of the individual must be balanced by the responsibility of the individual, including showing respect for others.

Yeah, right. Where's the link?

Do us all a favor, stop being afraid of phantom nothingness whipped up by tabloid newspapers and start living your life, you'll feel better and have a happier life, I promise.

I’m so happy for you that you don’t have to put up with things like that but just because you don’t live it doesn’t mean others don’t. I do, and I don’t read the tabloids.

Don’t you think people have the responsibility to be respectful towards others?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

What is natural justice?

Here's a link to wiki. The particular aspect I am referring to is that "nobody shall be a judge in his own cause". Given that the judge is the offended party he really shouldn't sit in judgment. This case is a good example of why this principle exists.

Not particularly. It's an admirable quality but I see nothing to suggest that it should be mandatory.

Who is qualified to decide what is respectful? I wouldn't find it disrespectful to have someone blow a bubble while looking at me, I might find it offensive if some self important twat looked down his nose at me because I'd had a few drinks.

My point is, the judge acted just as thugishly as the muppet starting a fight on the Saturday night high street but, just because he's a judge, you excuse him. That's just sad.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I'm right behind the judge. Time someone stood up for society. Im sick of living in a world full of ignorant kids who demand rights but refuse to accept any responsibility.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I agree 100 percent with you, I bring my young kids up with respect and manners (even more so than myself). The issue here is not the lack of respect but the punishment not matching the offence, to jail the person for this lack of respect was idiotic at best, it wasn't even a criminal offence. I think the judge is unstable and should be struck off.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join