It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NK:: Pyongyang: We'll put a torch to New York

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Pyongyang: We'll put a torch to New York
By Shane Green, Herald Correspondent in Tokyo
March 8 2003

www.smh.com.au...

North Korea would launch a ballistic missile attack on the United States if Washington made a pre-emptive strike against the communist state's nuclear facility, the man described as Pyongyang's "unofficial spokesman" claimed yesterday.

Kim Myong-chol, who has links to the Stalinist regime, told reporters in Tokyo that a US strike on the nuclear facility at Yongbyon "means nuclear war".

"If American forces carry out a pre-emptive strike on the Yongbyon facility, North Korea will immediately target, carry the war to the US mainland," he said, adding that New York, Washington and Chicago would be "aflame".

A pre-emptive strike on Yongbyon is one of the strategic options in the crisis over North Korea's nuclear arms program. The US has deployed 24 long-range bombers to the Pacific base of Guam capable of launching such a strike.

Mr Kim, who has written a text studied by North Korean military leaders, predicted North Korea would restart its reprocessing plant to make weapons-grade plutonium this month.

A nuclear weapon would be produced by the end of next month, with another five by the end of the year, he said. This was on top of a suspected nuclear arsenal of 100 weapons.

The ultimate aim of North Korea's leader, Kim Jong-il, was the "neutralisation of the American factor" in the region, Mr Kim said.

This would be achieved by striking a non-aggression pact with the US or becoming an "official" nuclear power, thereby making the US nuclear umbrella in the region irrelevant. "Both ways, Kim Jong-il is a winner," Mr Kim said.

"By the end of the year, I predict Bush will be in Pyongyang suing for peace," Mr Kim said. While his comments are extreme, they match the heated and belligerent rhetoric of North Korea, which has previously warned of nuclear war and turning the cities of its enemies into a "sea of ashes".

The Bush Administration yesterday made renewed calls on China and other countries in the region to help broker a solution to the crisis. In his live televised press conference, Mr Bush said North Korea's nuclear program was a regional issue.

"I say 'regional' because there's a lot of countries that have got a direct stake into whether or not North Korea has nuclear weapons," Mr Bush said. "We've got a stake as to whether North Korea has nuclear weapons. China clearly has a stake as to whether or not North Korea has a nuclear weapon."

The Bush Administration is pushing for multilateral talks with North Korea but the communist state wants direct talks with Washington.

In the meantime, diplomatic activity is continuing behind the scenes. "We have a number of diplomatic initiatives under way - some of them very, very quietly under way - to see if we cannot get a multilateral dialogue started," the US Secretary of State, Colin Powell, told a US Senate Committee.

Yesterday the US also flagged the possible withdrawal of its 37,000 troops from South Korea, part of the rethink of a deployment in place since the end of the Korean War in 1953.

The US Defence Secretary, Donald Rumsfeld, said the US was consulting with South Korea and he suspected "we'll end up making some adjustments there".

"Whether the forces come home or whether they will move further south of the [Korean] peninsula or whether to some neighbouring area are the kinds of things that are being sorted out," he said at a "town hall" meeting in Germany.

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 04:51 PM
link   
This is very alarming.
Though I do think that North Korea pose a threat to its neighbouring countries, I don't think that North Korea's weaponry is capable of hitting U.S. cities.
This is an issue for China, Russia, France and Germany to show how effective this so called U.N. is.
We'll see.

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 06:26 PM
link   
It starts to get very worrying when in a decades time a host of so called third world countries all have their nuclear missile programmes with missiles thatarecapable of intercontinental strikes. A cold war is one thing a blows hot and cold war is far more unpredictable.

[Edited on 10-3-2003 by roadghost]

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This Pyongyang guy scares the hell out of me he is a complete psycho. I feel he may be a definite problem in the near future if he keeps this up. Here again, the UN has yet again another chance to show some backbone; we�ll see what they do.

[Edited on 10-3-2003 by Midnight Mutilator]

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Remember: about 2-3 weeks ago, Japan stated that if they had any information that N Korea was targetting Japan with any missles, they would act preemptively. This includes any information that N Korea was simply fueling thier missles. Since then, Japan has been silent.

I dont believe that Japan is in the business of shooting her mouth off, and if she makes a statement, she is generally prepared to back it up. Also consider that Japan was the *origin* of the SpecWar concept (hundreds of years ago), and I fully believe that they already have plans/personnel/equipment in place to make such a preemptive strike if they feel it is needed.

In other words, if PyongYang continues to make such bold statements, facilities in N Korea may start blowing up in short order... and American may be able to truthfully say she had nothing to do with it.

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Whatever.... I'm not worried.

If there is a nuclear explosion in the con. U.S. I guarantee you that N. Korea will be wiped of the face of the Earth.

To me this is just N. korea's way of trying to instill fear in the U.S. population, I will NOT let another country Psychologically terrorize my mind.

WE SHOULD NOT LIVE IN FEAR!

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 07:33 PM
link   
the situation is a little more critical than instilling fear. NK is afraid that after Iraq their next. it's ugly cause when you back folk against a wall they usually come out swinging. think their fingers are gettin itchy.

you know what's funny--on one thread folk say that the UN is a obsolete and then they hit another thread and say we need to use the UN...make up your mind people. either we are going to work outside the international community or inside of it. pre-emptive strikes are our new policy...we won't let others tell us how to run our national sercurity and all that. where's the rhetoric? where did it go? after all they are talking about hitting our cities not Japans or chinas or SK's. i expected more nuke 'em all right now rants.

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Indications that North Korean pilots were attempting to force the RC-135 Cobra Ball aircraft to land in N Korea and take crew hostage.

news.independent.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Real Life Like A Spy Story....

www.unknowncountry.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 08:36 PM
link   
how could they hit washington, i thought they had an untested missale that shud be able to hit the west coast but to hit the east coast wudn't they have to have a mobile launch source here are a few links on the north korean military, the only way they could do it is if they have some subs capable of lauching offensive weapons

Air force of N. korea

N. korean navy

posted on Mar, 10 2003 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by 29MV29

If there is a nuclear explosion in the con. U.S. I guarantee you that N. Korea will be wiped of the face of the Earth.

And if that NK warhead explodes over your head ?

The best solution is : STRIKE BEFORE THEY STRIKE !

dom

posted on Mar, 10 2003 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Interestingly, I'd also heard that Japan's response may involve a nuclear weapons program. They already have extensive nuclear reactors across the country. Some analysts estimate that they could put a nuke together in around 3 months.

If the heat doesn't cool soon they may feel that they have no choice but to start a nuke program. And that isn't going to help security in the region.

The only way to sort this out is through the UN, but it appears that everyone's looking the other way right now. Not a good way to play this game...

posted on Mar, 10 2003 @ 04:57 AM
link   
LOL!

midnightmutilator:
"Here again, the UN has yet again another chance to show some backbone; we�ll see what they do."

barba007
"This is an issue for China, Russia, France and Germany to show how effective this so called U.N. is.
We'll see. "

So, Iraq has no connection to al queada, makes no direct threat to the U.S except a hypothetical future one and has no long range missiles that anyone thinks possible of hitting the U.S, and that's a matter for the U.S even without U.N backing.

North Korea makes constant direct threats to the U.S, constantly threatens to nuke its major cities, and has nuclear missiles that we're merely 'unsure' can reach the U.S, and thats a matter for the U.N!

*sniff* can i smell hipocrisy?

posted on Mar, 10 2003 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
LOL!

midnightmutilator:
"Here again, the UN has yet again another chance to show some backbone; we�ll see what they do."

barba007
"This is an issue for China, Russia, France and Germany to show how effective this so called U.N. is.
We'll see. "

So, Iraq has no connection to al queada, makes no direct threat to the U.S except a hypothetical future one and has no long range missiles that anyone thinks possible of hitting the U.S, and that's a matter for the U.S even without U.N backing.

North Korea makes constant direct threats to the U.S, constantly threatens to nuke its major cities, and has nuclear missiles that we're merely 'unsure' can reach the U.S, and thats a matter for the U.N!

*sniff* can i smell hipocrisy?

Yes a few of you need to take a look at what hes saying here,

Dont just read the words people, understand them!

The playground bully�s never go for the boys they know will or can attack back in any great force, The US Government is STILL the only Government to use nuclear weapons in anger and kill children with them.

I say disarm America not north Korea.

posted on Mar, 10 2003 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I have been reading your posts with a combination of amusement and horror Mr. Darren. Here we have another child who followed the Google path to conspiracy enlightenment, started making his own website, and suddenly is a expert on the subject. The history of the Internet is littered with examples of children such as you.

I wonder, Mr. Darren, what type of history material is available to you outside of the Internet in your little corner of the United Kingdom. Perhaps visiting an esteemed library and cracking the spine of a few leather-bound tomes may help redirect your misplaced epiphany. Such a task may aid your contemplation over this simple question; "Why is one of the U.S.A.'s strongest, most reliable allies, the nation on which we dropped two atomic bombs?"

And while you're at it, I would strongly suggest non-internet research into political conspiracy topics. You will find many of the dooms-day topics of NWO range far back into the previous century. You will also discover a generally higher degree of misdirection, mistruths, and disinformation amongst extreme conspiracists than you will any supposed secret society.

History, Mr. Darren. Learn it. Understand it. Get more that two sources.

posted on Mar, 10 2003 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by roadghost
It starts to get very worrying

Believe me, it will get a lot more worrying in a month time.

For now, go have a drink, relax, calm yourself with optimistic thoughts, imagine that evolution is progressing, humankind is blooming, reasure yourself that this all is just ramblings of crazy paranoids.

Go eat big mac, drink some diet coke, enjoy your life

posted on Mar, 10 2003 @ 08:17 AM
link   

You silly child. Do you have any idea what happens then?

If korea gets "wiped out" presumably with nukes you wont be able to live outside for a long time.

Nuclear fall out will cover almost every inch of the planet, you wont be able to walk outside, breath, drink. Few month later you develop thyroid problems and bone brain disorders.

Have a nice life.

dom

posted on Mar, 10 2003 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Winston Smith, there is such a thing as respect. Show some.

The point that Darren was trying to make is valid. N Korea is far more of a threat than Iraq, but Bush knows that N Korea would be a very dangerous fight, and that's why we're attacking Iraq. So that he can convince the American people that he's on the right tack, while also furthering US geo-political interests in the region, without taking casualties.

As for Japan... the first nuke saved a lot of lives, the second nuke... well, we all have our own opinions on that one...

From some of your other posts, it looks like you need to spend a little bit more time learning to communicate, and to see things from other people's perspectives. It's almost like you're a microcosm of the whole American problem...

[EDIT]
Just to be clear, by American problem, I'm refering to the present American administration, rather than America or Americans as a whole, who have a tendency to be decent peace-loving people...
[/EDIT]

[Edited on 10-3-2003 by dom]

posted on Mar, 10 2003 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tyler

You silly child. Do you have any idea what happens then?

1. I am not a child and I do have an understanding of what would happen. If N. Korea does strike the U.S. I really don't think anyone would retaliate with nukes. Instead the USA, Japan, S. Korea, UK even Germany and France would deploy troops and overrun N. Korea.

If korea gets "wiped out" presumably with nukes you wont be able to live outside for a long time.

2. From this, your the one who assumed I meant nukes. And If dropping a few nukes on Earth meant not living outside THERE WOULD BE NO NUCLEAR TESTS EVER! Do you know how many nukes have gone off in the world so far?

Nuclear fall out will cover almost every inch of the planet, you wont be able to walk outside, breath, drink. Few month later you develop thyroid problems and bone brain disorders.

3. Yeah , I agree with you on this one. But this type of environment would be found only at ground zero. For the entire planet to be effected, nukes would have to be dropped all over the world, not just a couple places.

Have a nice life.

4. I will, thanks, you too!!!!!

posted on Mar, 10 2003 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Only it wont be "earth" anymore, i will be dead rock.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join