It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could there be a bright side to this oil spill?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Don’t bite my head off... But could there be a bright side to this oil spill?

Don’t get me wrong... i realise that this is one of the worst man-made environmental disasters we have ever seen, and i am certainly not trying to make light of it, but could this be the catastrophe that finally forces us to take renewable energy more seriously. Could this be the push that we need, that steers us away from greed and exploitation, and moves us towards conservation and sustainability?

We humans MUST end our dependency on oil... There are many threads on ATS that demonstrate the negative impact oil is having. From the pacific garbage patch to the spills of the Niger Delter... oil is chocking our planet...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Many people in the "developed" world have chosen to ignore this... while driving around in our gas guzzling cars and living in our plastic gadget filled homes, we turn a blind eye to all the ill's that this industry causes...

The wider media often ignores these disasters, leaving the coverage to "one off specials" and “dedicated documentaries”... in other words... the message is ignored by the wider population, who are more interested in American Idol, and only reaches those that are interested and, in all likelihood, already know about them.

This is the first time that i have seen your average Joe complaining about the oil industry... people that would normally defend oil and shrug their shoulders at the plight of thirdworlders, while making off -cuff-comments about progress and profit, are now screaming for action...

So... could some good come of this... Could this be the disaster that makes us all think very hard about the way we exploit our planet??

I truly hope so...

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
The profits involved in the oil Industry are so huge that it would take many more BP crisis and oil spills before we stop digging for the black gold. Hopefully the disaster will make the oil companies think again, where they start drilling and improving safety measures. Thats about as best we can hope for.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Muckster,

Biggest question would be :"will it be too late?"

S+F

Peace

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   

In death we have life, it is one of the many paradoxes we have in this world of polarity.

Of course there is a bright side to everything, when we will see this bright side may be one of the more important questions you may want to ask.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I hope you are wrong... sadly, i think you are right

It seems that we are prepared to pay the ultimate price for our greed!

reply to post by operation mindcrime

I really hope not!!

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I think we need to concentrate on getting it stopped first and then worry about the bright sides. As to this opening more eyes and getting us to a bright side? Probably not... The corporate PR and media machines will spin up and make everyone forget and downplay it. And after it's stopped (if it's stopped and more leaks don't spring up) it'll just be business as usual for these oil corporations...no one's going to regulate them or stop them and if any attempt is made to legislate us out of this the new "laws" will probably go into effect in 2020 or something equally ridiculous.

We're not going to be allowed to detox from our "oil addiction" until the oil companies say it's okay for us too. They want us addicted and they hold all the cards...up to and including stopping alternative companies from making a run for it...just look at the commercials and PR blitzes from the current oil companies over the past few decades that try to fool you into believing they themselves are going to be the leaders in the alternative energy revolution. In what universe does that make any sense? And people buy that drivel.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster

I hope you are wrong... sadly, i think you are right

It seems that we are prepared to pay the ultimate price for our greed!

The reason I believe it, is i saw a really arrogant Oil Industry expert say that, despite what has happend with BP and the costs of the clean up. The industry is so big that it would take many more oil spills to even consider stopping drilling. Its all about the money and if the oil companies continue to make profits despite the costs of cleaning up disasters then there will be little in the way of a bright side

[edit on 16-6-2010 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   

WHAT!?!?

Blimey, i can’t believe the arrogance of these people!!! That makes me so angry... if you can find a link that would be great

Thanks

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Is humour one of the bright sides? www.trademe.co.nz...

Seriously though, I find man learns from his mistakes less and less these days.

I can't see how the current problems will curb our oil consumption; we've had alternatives for a long time and not used them. Our economy is petrochemical dependent.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by latitude39]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
the bright side is that now it is not happening in an unpopulated area or third world country so oil consumer need to care about it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   

The company Nalco, which supplies the toxic Corexit (used supposedly to suppress the oil spill) will certainly be seeing a 'bright side' to this disaster. They'll be laughing all the way to the bank, and back. Are any of the BP top-level management shareholder's in the Corexit supply company Nalco?? There's dirty money to be made somewhere from this.

www.google.co.nz...

www.youtube.com...

as per this thread on ATS:

www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=583722

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by latitude39

I can't see how the current problems will curb our oil consumption; we've had alternatives for a long time and not used them. Our economy is petrochemical dependent.

Whether you love or hate America, no one can deny that it is a world leader... and no one can argue the America doesn’t have far a reaching influence...

Therefore, my hope is that if America can change, it will show others that they can too...
China for example...

Maybe I’m just being naive... but i like to think that it’s possible!

new topics

top topics

join