It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Nasa warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation

[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7819201/Nasa-warns-solar-flares-from-huge-space-storm-will-cause-devastation.html]www.telegraph.co.uk[/u rl]

National power grids could overheat and air travel severely disrupted while electronic items, navigation devices and major satellites could stop working after the Sun reaches its maximum power in a few years.

Senior space agency scientists believe the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-6-2010 by jcrash]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
It says it's going to hit "around" 2013. My money's on mid 2012, when all the other 2012 pysop/ scripted disasters are scheduled to hit so as to make everyone dependent on "official" news pronouncements by knocking out the internet.

Too many strange internet stories lately - cyberattack, Cornficker, solar flares.

www.telegraph.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
the end of something is near.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
this is an OLD video about it ... he explains everything

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jcrash

I tend not to try anything that NASA says...but this isn't even coming from NASA its coming from the Telegraph. I think this is a recycled article or argument that a scientist has been making since 2008.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

I don't trust Michio Kaku one bit. Just because he's a "scientist", doesn't mean he gets a free pass. He's one of the big cheerleaders for the Hadron Collider also. Another NWO "science project".... Most expensive one in the world, wonder who funded that, eh?

Anyway, it's amusing to entertain the article's premise. Very "day the earth stood still" like...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jcrash

well, it wasnt him that discovered that, he is just the messenger ...

LHC is a way for us to find new particles to try to understand better the universe

some people prefer to study and get knowledge instead of reading selective perspectives from ancient people as the ultimate understanding of life ...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
not another one of this solar flare BS. seems like every time theres a solar flare, someone think its going to actually hurt us. maybe someday, maybe a few billion years.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
this is more "big bang" non sense

They have absolutely nothing - ZERO - to base these claims on. No science WHAT SO EVER.

"We watch the sun constantly" WOW Well woopty-freaking-do

You WATCH the sun, and so you know everything about it?

This kind of horse crap is nothing more than a publicity stunt to get NASA more funding.

Not that im against funding the space program...but funding idiots who make baseless claims is far beyond my threshold of acceptability.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
One need only go back a few years, maybe a decade to see real effects from solar storms. I forget the year but the last good sized one knocked out satellites and some earthbound electronics. That one was nowhere near as big as what they are talking about coming up. Nuclear weapons detonated in the atmosphere cause the same effect. Look up EMP,Electromagnetic Pulse. Rumsfeld said we "dropped" one on Baghdad at the outset of GWII. I'm not familiar with any other weapon that can do that. He called it an EMP bomb. Remember when they lost all power in the city? It wasn't due to knocking out all power generators or totally destroying the power grid physically, it was an EM pulse that fried every bit of electronic gear in the area. Kinda gives "bomb 'em back to the stone age" new meaning,huh?....or does it?
STH

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by stopthathurts

You're referring to the Canada / East Coast US power grid failure. Interestingly, it wasn't until years later that they said it was from a solar flare.

The Northeast Blackout of 2003 was a massive widespread power outage that occurred throughout parts of the Northeastern and Midwestern United States and Ontario, Canada on Thursday, August 14, 2003, at approximately 4:15 p.m. EDT (UTC-04). At the time, it was the second most widespread electrical blackout in history, after the 1999 Southern Brazil blackout.[1][2] The blackout affected an estimated 10 million people in Ontario and 45 million people in eight U.S. states.

Link: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Guys, we need to build and Ark ASAP!

Ok so let's divide people into teams
Team A will take care of the marsupialias
Team b will take care of the sea aminals(remember bring buckets & no eating them)
team C will....
etc.....

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I take much of "NASA speaks" with a POUND of salt.
Remember where their funding comes from.
They are simply the space dept, of "FEAR MONGERING R US"

Not to say the sun will not create some sort of havoc around that time.
But if we weren't made so dependent on those systems, it wouldn't be a blip on our radar screen.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Look up - The sun's gonna fry you...

Look down - It's the earthquakes...

South - Oil spills...

North - Icebergs melting...

And then there's all the wars and breakdown in between...

I wonder how humanity is going to survive going sideways until this all evens out.

peace

[edit on 14-6-2010 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
my god people study a little please your reply's show lack of knowledge .
A big solar flare aimed at earth you wont notice it AT ALL so forget the sun screen 3000 . Its our electronic gadgets that will be effected as the magnetic
pulse hits earth if its powerful enough to get through the magnetic shield earth has then off goes your cell phone your car your computer the net crashes .
The Japanese did a experiment back in the 80ds to see just what we could expect and ANY and all electronics made after 1975 or so are toast .
the stuff that wasn't effected were older cars toob tvs and such .
The FACT is magnetic pulses happen all the time but up until now haven't been aimed at earth . And theres no dought what so ever earth has been hit 100s of thousands of times BUT it didn't matter ONE bit until now as magnetic pulse does NOTHING to life just electronics .
So I grantee a big power full on hits (and it could happen tomorrow solar max or not ) you wont be saying you dont believe it then .

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf

I like Thundercats.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Maybe you people have no idea about what SAA is, i would suggest to take a look here en.wikipedia.org...

In few words it a vaste area where the earh's electromagnetic field is very weak and its becoming weaker as time goes bye.

Current literature suggests that a slow weakening of the geomagnetic field is one of several causes for the changes in the borders of the SAA since its discovery. As the geomagnetic field continues to weaken, the inner Van Allen belt gets closer to the Earth, with a commensurate enlargement of the SAA at given altitudes.[citation needed] Some scientists, including Dr. Pieter Kotze, head of the geomagnetism group at the Hermanus Magnetic Observatory in the southern Cape, believe that the anomaly is a side effect of geomagnetic reversal.

That means that in case of a massive solar flare storm our bodies are not anymore protected and eventually a lot of poeple would die of cancer.

So if you think that all of this is a joke or that Nasa does not deserve to be trusted because of some ridiculous conspirancy theories related to the LHC in Swiss,well you have to study a bit.
Moreover as already stated by someone else our technology would be fu**d up by a massive solar storm as suggest in the above mentioned article.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by umbracode]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
These articles pop up from time to time. Back in the 1870's or so?, this
ocurred and fried all the telegraph lines. It appears we're overdue for another such event. To be certain, our electronics are much more sensitive and widespread. So that being the case, some very expensive damage could
occur. Also our transformer systems cost like 1 million a piece. Not to mention
that there is over a one year wait for assembly and delivery. So Homeland
Security would be wise to invest in a Warehouse of these for back up. Then of course
if the damage occurs elsewhere on the globe than North America, we could
sell these at a profit. The other thing is , not so many people were dependent
on electricity back then as there are now. After 2 weeks without juice, people
start to become restless or worse. Be prepared for the unexpected.
In fact , after this Gulf Mess, ALL power systems, especially Nuclear, Refineries,
Chemical Factories,storage facilities,etc. should be reviewed and Thoroughly inspected. Homeland Security failed to protect Americas Coast and Waters
on this one. Heads should roll.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I think this is a hoax or bull. Yes solar storms can burn out power grids and anything using a computer, aka a car, cell phone, anyting with microchips in it..but.....its impossible to predict an exact date, since soalr storms happen when they happen* its physically and mentaly impossible to predict sun discharges*

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I mean ths un goes through its solar cycle every 12 years. 2012 would be the 12th year, last one was in 2000, and 1988 before that. we would have experinced such solar outrage and devastation centurys ago, at least since recorded human history.
but if its true..could explain why the dinosurs suddenly vanished*

top topics

<<   2 >>

join