It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watered-down Arizona boycott approved by Chicago City Council

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Watered-down Arizona boycott approved by Chicago City Council

newsblogs.chicagotribune.c om

City Hall departments are urged not to sign new contracts with Arizona companies under a boycott resolution aldermen adopted today in response to that state's controversial new immigration law.

The resolution doesn't have the legal power to stop city departments from doing business with Arizona firms. And it is aimed at future pacts, not ones already on the books.

So a deal with Arizona-based Redflex to install and maintain red-light cameras around Chicago would not be affected. The Redflex cameras, which photograph license plates of vehicles that run red lights, brought in about $48
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nbcchicago.com< br /> blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This decision by our city counsil absolutely appalls me. How dare they make this decision on behalf of the people of Chicago. I am 100% in favor of Arizona's law and don't approve of my city bringing any kind of boycott against them.

I noticed however that this is more a boycott in name only, since they have decided to keep their deal with Arizona in regards to the red light cameras. They only want a boycott of Arizona as long as it doesn't effect our finances in any way.

What did surprise me was the fact that Daley actually used some common sense here and is against this boycott, and has warned the city counsil to be careful lest their actions blow up in their faces.

I think Arizona should tell our city counsil that unless they stop this "boycott" that when their contract for the red ligt cameras comes up for renegotiations the fees will be doubled, if not more. That ought to give them something to think about.

We have no business telling another state what to do, it's none of our business. If the members of the city counsil so deperately want to voice their opinions, let them do it as private citizens and not under the quise of our representatives.

My alderman, by voting in favor of this, has succeeded in making sure that he will not get my vote when it comes time for him to be re-elcted. And I intend to make sure that all of my neighbors are aware of the fact of how he voted on this issue. I urge all Chicago residents that support Arizona's law to contact their alderman and let them know that you do not approve of their actions.

My thanks to guohua, for alerting me to this news.

newsblogs.chicagotribune.c om
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

So a deal with Arizona-based Redflex to install and maintain red-light cameras around Chicago would not be affected. The Redflex cameras, which photograph license plates of vehicles that run red lights, brought in about $48 million in revenue for the city last year, city finance officials have said.

Just another example of how hypocritical these boycotts are. Stand up for your principles... but only when it's convenient.

I support Arizona, too, and find the boycotts ridiculous. But if you are opposed to it and wish to boycott- then do it, even where it hurts. Not only when it benefits you.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I agree with you both. I would even step up and say that the city council should be disbanded and other individuals put in their place.

I give full support of AZ on this issue. Any who wish to boycott AZ for their decision will not knowingly receive my funding. I will do everything I can to send that funding to AZ and those who support them.

Raist

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

I know a number of Arizona Citizens that have contacted City Hall in Chicago.
These are the people and numbers we used.
Here are the 2 Aldermen who were quoted in the story and the City Clerks office. Let them know what you think Arizona!!

George A. Cardenas
Ward Website: www.12thwardnews.com

• Ward Phone: (773) 523-8250

• Ward Fax: (773) 523-8440

• E-Mail: [email protected]

Proco Joe Moreno
Ward Office: 2058 N. Western Ave,
Chicago, IL 60647

• Ward Phone: (773) 278-0101

• E-Mail: [email protected]

City Clerks Office

312-74-CLERK

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
chise61, I understand San Jose California has decided to also boycott Arizona now, They are FOOLS!

chise61, Think about it, the illegal is setting home looking for Illegal Friendly States and Cities.

I think San Jose Ca. is closer, But, the I-10 and HWY 8 have a pretty good presence of Boarder Patrol Check Points. YES?
They could go north and take I-40 out of Arizona ( as long as it's out )

But I'm thinking, Why not a clean start in a city and state that is just begging for us to visit. Chicago. Yup, I think that's it.
The convoy of Chevy Suburbans and Vans and Pick up trucks, heading north by north east. ( as long as it's heading out )

sorry chise61

[edit on 10-6-2010 by guohua]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I wish I know how to attach links.
2nd line

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by chise61
I think Arizona should tell our city counsil that unless they stop this "boycott" that when their contract for the red ligt cameras comes up for renegotiations the fees will be doubled, if not more. That ought to give them something to think about.

...iow, you approve of blackmail when it suits your agenda - interesting morals... your plan would over-fatten the coffers of the arizona company at chicago residents' expense... so, i have to ask, are you really a resident of the big windy or are you a stockholder in the aforementioned arizona company?...

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
What is wrong with that state???
They are starting to make New York look decent.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

You think they're coming to Chicago
NOOOOOOOOO, We already have more than enough. I can't take anymore, my head is going to explode.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by chise61
reply to post by guohua

You think they're coming to Chicago
NOOOOOOOOO, We already have more than enough. I can't take anymore, my head is going to explode.

Arizona is here for you chise61, With the out flow of illegals there should be jobs and lots of open rentals.
Of-course the heat sucks.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Funny how it works. The ones who have the most problems are the first to criticize other people for trying to deal with their own problems. I say this as I am bombarded by political ad's here in Illinois talking about how our economy is one of the worst in the country.

Chicago definitely should address its own problems before presuming moral superiority over Arizona.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

No, I believe in what's good for the goose, is good for the gander. I believe that turn about is fair play. If my city counsil wants to play hardball and stick their nose into matters that don't concern them, then they deserve whatever they get. Even Daley warned them that this may blow up in their faces and cost us money, but did they care, hell no. And you wanna know why, because all they can see are all the illegal votes that they can get from illegal immigrants. Our government NEVER asked us if we wanted to be a sanctuary city, they just went ahead and did it with no thoughts of their citizens. They NEVER asked us if we wanted to boycott Arizona, they just spoke for us without giving us a second thought.

If their coffers are over fattened at our expence it is the fault of our city counsil, and nobody else. Do I want to be forced to pay for their mistakes, hell no. But if they threaten Arizona's economy, then Arizona has every right to threaten ours.

I don't want to have to pay for that $16.5 million settlement for the lawsuit that just got settled because our police force was mistreating people in their custody either, but I have to now don't I. I damn sure don't want to pay for the social services that illegal immigrants receive, but I don't have a choice in that matter either now do I.

I didn't like it when I lost half of my neighbors because they pulled eminant domain and tore down their houses to make an annex to the school because it had become so overcrowded. And even with the annex it's still overcrowed !

I am sick and tired of illegal immigrants coming into my city and having more rights than I do. I am sick and tired of them breaking laws that I as a citizen have to obey, and they get away with it ! I'm sick and tired of having to pay auto insurance, while they drive around uninsured and are allowed to get away with it. I have lost two cars to illegals, one Polish, and one Mexican. Neither had insurance, hell neither had a damn drivers licence. And guess what neither one of them was made to give me so much as a penny. I had to make the last one pay for my car that he totaled (while it was parked) when he was driving uninsured, with no licence, and drunk.

I don't want to have to speak Spanish, or Polish to get a job at the currency exchange. I want the guy in my local supermarket to be able to answer my questions. I don't want to listen to their live bands (that you can hear on the next block over) and their screams until 4 am every single weekend when the weather gets warm.I don't want to press 1 for English. And I want to be able to fly the flag of my country, in my country without having to deal with the looks they give me and their snide remarks. I am sickened by what has happened to my city because of this sanctuary crap.

You may not be aware of this, but it's not only the citizens of the border towns that have to put up with all of this crap, the citizens of sanctuary cities have to put up with the same crap.

So yes even though I am a citzen of Chicago, I sympathize with the citizens of Arizona because I know first hand what they have been dealing with. Our federal government refuses to uphold our immigration laws, so they left Arizona no choice but to uphold them themselves. Arizona did nothing wrong, my city counsil did and I'm not going to say they are right when they are not simply because I am a Chicagoan.

Am I really a resident of Chi-Town ? Yeah baby
You better believe it, I'm a Chicagoan through and through. Born and raised, spent the first 21 years of my life in Humblot Park. You ever come up this way let me know I'll give you a special tour of Humbolt park

Sorry for the rant, but I am just so fed up with this whole situation. I have always loved living in Chicago, but I can't stand what it's becoming.

Edit for spelling

[edit on 6/11/2010 by chise61]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jeh2324

I don't know :shk:

I keep trying to figure it out, but all i'm doing is :bnghd:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Did you say jobs
I sure could use one of those

Yeah but I hear it's a dry heat, which they say is not as bad as the extremely humid heat we get here.

Thanks, I just might take you up on that offer, ever since I was a kid I've always had this dream of a horse ranch in Arizona.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by getagripplease

Chicago definitely should address its own problems before presuming moral superiority over Arizona.

Thank you, my sentiments exactly

I know Chicago has more than enough of our own problems to keep them busy for quite awhile.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
chicago clearly doesnt care about democracy anymore, i.e. majority rule!!

heres a poll by msnbc world-news.newsvine.com...

the question: - In July, Arizona will begin enforcing a new law that requires law enforcement officers to check someone’s immigration status if they have reason to suspect that he or she is in the country illegally. Do you think this is a good idea?

1,052,638 YES votes
44,431 NO votes

thats 96%!!! msnbc has deleted and reposted this poll many times clearly hoping that the results might change the other way, it hasnt, america has spoken! the law stays! any attempt to punish for this is an act of treason and display of tyranny and propaganda.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye
chicago clearly doesnt care about democracy anymore, i.e. majority rule!!

heres a poll by msnbc world-news.newsvine.com...

the question: - In July, Arizona will begin enforcing a new law that requires law enforcement officers to check someone’s immigration status if they have reason to suspect that he or she is in the country illegally. Do you think this is a good idea?

1,052,638 YES votes
44,431 NO votes

thats 96%!!! msnbc has deleted and reposted this poll many times clearly hoping that the results might change the other way, it hasnt, america has spoken! the law stays! any attempt to punish for this is an act of treason and display of tyranny and propaganda.

Thank You, You have clearly shown that you read the Law.
That msnbc poll is interesting isn't it?
96% of Americans want this problem taken care of.
All these Sanctuary States and City local Politicians need to learn to read.

new topics

top topics

join