It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poverty and the recession

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Here I go throwing myself into the fire again but I really feel this is an issue that needs to be addressed. I was shocked by feedback from this post www.abovetopsecret.com...
I always thought of ATS as open minded and non judgemental I may have been wrong.
I want to open up a dialouge about poverty and the recession.
What are your thoughts on poverty in general?
Is it caused by the indivual , the government or both?
When you think of disablity,welfare,unemployment and food stamps what comes to mind.
How has poverty been worsened by the recession?
Have your veiws on poverty changed since the recession and how?
How has poverty effected your life. I am just curious if most of ATS is not affected by poverty that is why there is little understanding from some members.
Here is a lecture on unemployment that shows we do have a problem in america:

www.youtube.com...
Here is another video about poverty:

www.youtube.com...
Let's share our thoughts,videos and links on poverty and the recession.
Times have changed it is not all good times anymore. I always thought people's veiws had changed during this recession?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
how did this get so far down the list already I just posted?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
do people really have such a negative veiw of poverty? I will answer my own questions in a bit if no one answers.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I am going to answer my own questions. This bothers so much that I am part of a group that buys into stereotypes or prejudices. I can not be a part of this group much longer. While I am ok with other beliefs I feel I want to find people on my level.

What are your thoughts on poverty in general? Poverty is something that happens to someone due to circumstances. It is more a product of a corript system.
Is it caused by the indivual , the government or both? Most of the time poverty is due to inidivual circumstances beyond one'e control. It is the fault of the government to allow people to live in poverty. Businesses get away with too much.
When you think of disablity,welfare,unemployment and food stamps what comes to mind. I think of people who are down on their luck and need help.
How has poverty been worsened by the recession? It has been devestating. People are 50% worse off than before 2007. People have lost jobs and there are more homeless.
Have your veiws on poverty changed since the recession and how? I have always had great sympathy for the poor. I am poor myself so what that does not mean I am lazy or never worked hard. I practically killed myself working 60 hours a week for $5 per hour getting no where.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Here is the deal I read your thread, most people here understand that your friends were in a pinch. However most people were also pissed that they had the Gaul to ask ( and get upset) when they diddnt get there three bedroom. suck it up and drive on its all you can do.

BTW I am poor, but work 50 hours a week to have what i want and need. I have army injuries but found a job suitable to my disabilty... Jobs are there you just got to find them.

Also you cant help the hand your dealt in life, but you can handle how your playing it.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by poedxsoldiervet]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I think the cause of poverty is the desire for wealth.
There is a fixed amount of money in the world.
Private wealth should be capped to release the Trillions hidden away in tax havens.
5% of the population are holding 95% of the wealth.
Obviously that is the cause of poverty.
As a complete system we need to move from ownership and extreme wealth to user-ship and moderate wealth.
We are at the end of a century of acquisition.
Time to move to a more fluid and dynamic system that circulates money as a means to an end.
Our whole focus on life and what it means needs to change.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

I do not want to talk about that post on this thread. I just want to know people's real veiws without that personal story to know what ATS members really feel.
I have to make sure this is a place I can feel comfortable at without judgements.
I am fine with people sharing their personal stories.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by dreamseeker]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

thank you this is the type of reply I am looking for real opinions not clouded by judgements.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Dude your not going to find a person on this Earth who is got an Opinion or judgemental about something.

You want the truth I know people who prefer to live in poverty because its easier then having to work. They sit at home do nothing and on the first get there checks. Unlike the rest of us Who hate working but still get up and do it so we can try to be one of this millionaires. Do I hate the rich because they have ungodly amounts of money.... Hell no I want to be like them, but never will be, because of my hand I was dealt. However I am in the postion to deal my kids a better hand, perhaps one of them will be, or my grandkids.

You have to want something in life and go get it. The reality is alot of people are stuck on that easy money and get mad because they have to stay in section 8 housing instead of a condo... Get real reach for it and it can be yours with hardwork, if you dont reach it maybe your kids will.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I never want to be rich myself. I would rather be poor and live comfortably. I would rather have less money and pay less money for things.
I guess I don't understand the want to have a lot of money. My goal is to just make $30,000 per year in the next few years. I just want a townhouse, one child with my partner.
I have most of my needs meet personally.
Poverty is a big issue for me.
I have seem too many bad things happen to good people because of poverty.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Well do we see absolute poverty or relative poverty?

Some people may be classed as in poverty but drive cars and have TVs as well as a roof over their head. Poverty is difficult to define.

I think the system is corrupt and is prone to periodic booms and slumps. It also needs a reserve pool of labour (the unemployed) to keep labour costs down.

Anecdotal evidence about the rags to riches individuals simply will not do. Does anyone think that in a money-driven society to be out of work is a choice that many would take????

In fact looking for job is a complete battle as you have to keep up your inner game as well as searching for work.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

The problem is poverty fules poverty. Here is how it is right now, if you have a full time job that pays 15 dollars an hour you really do not have enought to make it on your own (in souther cali). If you work part time at minimum wage you get all these free hadouts and help with your rent so at the end of the day the guy working at a "low paying job" who is "poverty stricken" has more money than me at the end of the month. So if you want to make it you have to make a lot of money or be poor and get a bunch of free stuff.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

And that is fine if you want to live your life that way, but I want more and I am willing to work long hard to have it. If I cant achieve it, then I will make sure my kids have the tools to achieve the life they want. But being contempt with living in poverty should not be any ones goal.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Poverty is not $30,000 a year so I do strive to get out of it. Right now I am in it so I can't get out of right now.
But why must I have so many tears and headaches because I struggle at times.
I should not be punished because I do not want to be rich. We just live in a society that is just too demanding and too overwhelming.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Deep rooted sentiment and angst run deep when it comes to government social programs. I can understand why people think the way they do.

Like seeing a person pay for food with their food stamps and load $600.00 worth of groceries into their Escalade.

Or when illegal immigrants enter our country and we provide them food, shelter and medical.

I think the aforementioned are legitimate beefs people have.

It's the small percentage that ruin it for the really confirmed needy.

With advances in medicine, its much tougher to tell if someone is sick. They may look healthy on the outside, but on the inside they are dying.

As humans, we think those that are most deserving of assistance are amputee's. the blind and deaf/dumb. Those are things we can visibly see.

So yes, we are judgmental. I'm guilty of it. But I have to tell myself over and over that the person I think is a loser...may if fact have cancer, AIDS, Leukemia, etc., etc.

Maybe that Escalade was on loan to get to the supermarket. The person with the handicap sticker isn't limping. Well.........maybe they have a heart problem or emphysema. I'm not checking my spelling. You get the gist or you don't.

Fact is (I've said it before) state and federal social programs are fairly rigid. You either meet the qualifications or you don't.

Judges at a Social Security hearing go by the law and the law only. They can not make personal judgments. One must meet the criteria for a particular affliction or you don't get the benefit.

Yes, those few bad apples make people want to pitch out the whole dang bushel.

People should try to use a little more reason and logic before making judgments.

There may be someone reading this post right now that may have their life changed forever tomorrow in a horrible car accident. Bet they won't complain about the benefits when they need them.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

Now this makes sense to me.I still don't believe in judgements.
Since it is so rigid to get on disablity you would think people would look at people on disablity differently.
I try not to judge but I am against illegal aliens but I don't know there story. Maybe they had no choice. I am not against them as humans but what the represent cheap labor and taking american jobs.
If I were talking illegal aliens I may be more rigid in my judgements.
I have not seen that many people abuse the system only because the people I know on benefits of any kind are good people.
My sister is on unemployment and I am on disablity.
When I see how much things actually cost I wander how anyone is making it anymore.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Why did you abandoned your post? You are obviously quite compassionate about your issue. Looking forward to hearing from you.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

I can do more research on this post and post more about poverty. I have been caught up in another thread. I never abandon my posts I just wait until someone responds; at least I try.
I did a paper in college on poverty. I will probably do more on poverty in regards to mental health.
I write to my congressperson all the time about medicare, social security, affordable housing and health care which all issues dealing with poverty. I am glad you are keeping track of my thread.
I just can't leave ATS so matter how angry I get at people on here.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Stories like this really give me hope for humanity.
How do you embed a video?

[edit on 11-6-2010 by dreamseeker]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Well.... we both are of the same mindset. Unfortunately, others are a bit more bitter. Yet I understand. It's hard to see other people doing well under government assistance, especially when they deserve it. It's also hard to see a Benz car filling it full of groceries on the tax payers back.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join